#26 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:40 AM

Unfortunately the strategy of handling files has changed a little in the new VPE. Two new folders Temp and Templates are used by the scripts to hold downloaded and personal files (why are personal files called template?). VistaPE scripts hold these files in their own script directory. OK, this might be a cosmetic problem, but I think all scripts should follow the same strategy. And if I'm not mistaken, the XP based projects also use script behaviour like VistaPE.

In nativeEx-based projects, the general move now is to use either the defined %ProjectTemplates% or %GlobalTemplates% variables for such a task, rather than %ScriptDir%. Using %ScriptDir% places files in the project's folder path which need not be there.

Regards,
Galapo.

#27 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

Ctmag,

How did you actually convince NightMan to give you his source code?

Cheers,
Dave

#28 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

@ctmag
Look, I do NOT want to weigh in my role of Admin of the board, but I have to understand.

I want ANSWERS to the questions ALREADY asked:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=6388&st=6
and to these:
1) is the c't edition ONLY available to readers or subscribers of c't?
2) if yes, is this compliant with the Winbuilder's license, Nightman's intellectual property and all those of the used .scripts ones?
3) if yes, is the attached to this thread c't version of VPELDR.EXE allowed?

I DO NOT want to make a case out of this, really :), but I also want to things to be as clear and as "kosher" as possible.

This "ctmag" or "c't" version is either a private project or a public one, or a mix between the two, ANY of the "model" is fine with me, but I need to know how to manage things that are or will be posted here.

I will not discuss this any further, sorry.

If you wish not to discuss it publicly, PM me.

jaclaz

#29 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

I am not sure, but in the german VPE forum it looks like that somebody's mouse and keyboard doesn't work when booting from USB, but is ok when booting from CD.

http://www.heise.de/...-15973632/read/

I could bet that he used SP1 as a source. Probably somebody (a German :-) should tell him to use Vista SP0 as source. I had exactly the same problem.

Cheers,
Dave

#30 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I am not sure, but in the german VPE forum it looks like that somebody's mouse and keyboard doesn't work when booting from USB, but is ok when booting from CD.

http://www.heise.de/...-15973632/read/

I could bet that he used SP1 as a source. Probably somebody (a German :-) should tell him to use Vista SP0 as source. I had exactly the same problem.

Cheers,
Dave

I did so.

I hope you are right and i did not blame me :)

Thanks, Dave

Peter

#31 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:08 PM

psc,

thanks. I also hope that I did not embarrass myself :-)

Cheers,
Dave

#32 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

I hope you are right and i did not blame me :)

At least you would not be the only one. I posted it also, not seeing that you already did it two minutes earlier...

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

P.S. Peter, you lucky boy. 'psc' was available as username, unfortunately 'MichaelZ' not. :(

#33 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

@jaclaz

First let me say that i am not the magazine, they decide not I. So everything i say me not be accurate, to get absolute information they need to be asked.

Second i want to say that with "I will not discuss this any further, sorry." i only meant the matter of two forks and how c't edition could get closer to VistaPE. There are differences that i could not prevent and i will no longer argue about that...it is what it is and it will smooth out during the next months.

Third, i think everything that comes from the publice or aus made available for free should stay free and it is...all this can be freely used. However there are some parts that never were part of VistaPE and probably never will be due to licenses or other reasons. We have permission to include them on the magazine cd but we can not offer them for download (As mentioned before GDATA AVK, DriveSnapShot c't version, getwimfiles, some scripts made especially for C't and so on.). So in brief: the complete package should not be made availbale for free download and this has nothing to do with me or c't is is just that parts of the package are not free and belong to the authors.

VPELDR.EXE is a different case here. This version was made for c't to overcome some of the issues of the original version, but it is based on Nightmans code and i am sure it can be freely copied. Still it has parts in it which were developed for c't and as vpeldr.exe is not under GPL or any other license, one could say that this version belongs c't. They hold the copyright on the modifications. I am sure it can be used freely and anyhow it is only temporarily as i intend to make a new version in few weeks.

Now to your questions:

1) Yes
2) Yes as everyone agreed to this. Nuno never demanded that the use of WB in this project was bound to the fact that the project had to be available for online download. Nightman gave permission only if we do not offer it for download.
3) see text obove...in short i think yes, but it is not my decision

I hopes this clears it up a bit, and please don't make more out of it as there is... have fun:-)

#34 ludovici

ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

Ct mag thank you for your explanations
Ct mag, I think you had asked me permission to include my Windows Sidebar script in your project; Have you included this script ?
What other scripts included?
Can you post the other script available with permission and Big thanks for your participation at this project...

@DaveXP: thanks for your thanks. But just to clarify, I am not part of the VistaPE team. The team is just nightman (for VistaPE v12) and ctmag (for VPE ct'ed).
I know but I want it thank you for your contributions... :)
For me the team of VISTAPE or VPE ct'ed is all the Contributors to the project :(

#35 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

@ludivici

Sorry i did not include the sidebar script...there is not much in there that differs from vistape (apart from the loader, some cleanups to the gui and some scripts for programs that may not be copied freely (as mentioned above))

#36 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

@arvy: to be honest, the vpeloader has a long way to go and is not perfect, but it already can do a lot more than the original loader, which in most cases simply does nothing which results in very limited hardware support. So (as i see it) we are not talking about recreating something here, we are talking about creating something...and this is often more complicating than just reproducing something that already exists...

I understand and I agree. I'm sorry if my concluding remark to ludivici sounded critical of your effort. It wasn't intended that way. It's simply an inescapable fact that VistaPE/VPE is not Windows Vista and was never intended to be. On the other hand, as a preinstallation environment, it would ideally support the complete range of system hardware configurations that meet Vista standards. That's all I was trying to say.

I also understand that your situation is not an easy one, trying to offer some improvements for users while conforming to the constraints imposed by others. Hopefully, over time, all concerned will come to see the benefits of a more consistently open approach, at least for the core components, so that improvements from the whole spectrum of potential sources can be coordinated and incorporated into a coherent strategy. But VistaPE/VPE is certainly not unique in that respect and the same might be said about other areas of endeavour.

In the meantime, thank you for all of the efforts you are making to improve what can be improved within the existing framework. They are definitely helpful and much appreciated. :)

#37 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

I guess everything is cool then. :)

The VPELDR.EXE attached to post #3 (vpeldr-ctEd.exe) is assumed to be OK there.

jaclaz

#38 ludovici

ludovici

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 610 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

Sorry but I don't understand your previous post Arvy ...
I know very well that VistaPe is not Vista, but if we can add Vista features in VistaPE without burdening (Wlan, Sound...), it's better.
Free users to use my scripts or not !!! :)
It's true that the support of material is the most important, but the feature of windows it's for me equally important.
Yes Men, I guess everything is cool then. :(

#39 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

Sorry but I don't understand your previous post Arvy ... I know very well that VistaPe is not Vista, but if we can add Vista features in VistaPE without burdening (Wlan, Sound...), it's better.

I think we may be talking about two different things. My comment was related strictly to the scope of critical system hardware support (drives, human input devices, etc.) that would ideally be provided by a preinstallation environment such as VistaPE/VPE.

When it comes to other features and options, I generally prefer to stay completely clear of the whole "minimalist" versus "full featured functionality" advocates debate. To me it's essentially a philosophical issue with no conclusive "right" or "wrong" answers on either side. I suppose it depends fundamentally on one's view of what a preinstallation environment is or should be, but that's all I'll say about it.

#40 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

...and the right thread is this one :):
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5864

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic