Photo
- - - - -

New registration page - stopping bots from registering on our site!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to announce the introduction of an external page for registering members on our forum.

This was a necessary measure as the registration page that comes by default on the forum was well known to spam bots and posed no obstacle to get the registration done automatically.

It was also nowhere easy to modify this default registration page to add better security measures and over the last weeks, Jaclaz and myself have been manually allowing new registrations but this involves a lot of work to maintain as you might imagine.

-----

So, to solve this matter we now have a page outside the forum that allows new visitors to register themselves.

You are welcome to try it out, just log out and register a new username.

Please choose a username like "testnnn" where nnn is whatever else you wish to use and I'll batch remove all these accounts within a few days.

---

It's not yet finished but I would like to hear your thoughts regarding which further modifications can be added.

The current imposed security is still not very restrictive or elaborated but the good thing is that we can change it as required.

http://boot-land.net/register

:)

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

I tried and it looks good!

Two smaller issues:

The test questions should change randomly. Maybe there are iontelligent bots which remember last solution!

Very rarely it happens that a new user does not have an e-mail. He is not able to register.

And one bigger issue which may depend on the new registration (I don't know).

When I after testing my test usership, I came back to my real account, the 'View new posts' gave me an error that there is none. :)

Peter

#3 testnnnlancelot

testnnnlancelot
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

hi nuno, i am lancelot :) here are thoughts.

i like it, especially like the last 2 questions, so you can change the questions and answers anytime you want against bots. Good.

In country section, Can we use "Turkiye" instead of "Turkey" ?, I am sure all Turks from Turkiye will be glad and it wont make a mind-mix for other users.

I tested a very common stupid password, guesss which, hehehe and it worked :( , i guess there should be a preventation to use stupid (or easy) passwords. ( Jaclaz :) )

After login, i was waiting for a email confirmation, but it didnt happen, i guess it will be in future.

Very minor thing, I guess there should be only one of these, "Country" or "Select your country" . And "Select your country" font is very small.

Going to hello world with the first login is nice :( , maybe an auto topic name "Hello World, My name is testnnnlancelot" maybe good too.

That is all. delete this account anytime you want. Keep the good work.

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

Can we use "Turkiye" instead of "Turkey" ?, I am sure all Turks from Turkiye will be glad and it wont make a mind-mix for other users.

I am sure a few "turkeys" will be happy as well...:)

Posted Image

:(

jaclaz

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback! :)

The test questions should change randomly. Maybe there are intelligent bots which remember last solution!

I'll code it to randomly iterate through other possible answers.

Very rarely it happens that a new user does not have an e-mail. He is not able to register.

TheHive is such example, he doesn't use an email box.

Going to hello world with the first login is nice smile.gif , maybe an auto topic name "Hello World, My name is testnnnlancelot" maybe good too.

Glad you liked it, this was meant to sort of break the ice and invite new members to drop a word or two about themselves.

Will see if I can add a title to the topic.

After login, i was waiting for a email confirmation, but it didnt happen, i guess it will be in future.

No email is required to register, I'll add a text mentioning that it is optional.

I'm counting on our custom anti-spam road blocks to successfully keep the bots away from the site and let users register without needing to provide any email details.

Very minor thing, I guess there should be only one of these, "Country" or "Select your country" . And "Select your country" font is very small.

You're right, let's see what can be done.

In country section, Can we use "Turkiye" instead of "Turkey" ?, I am sure all Turks from Turkiye will be glad and it wont make a mind-mix for other users.

Done!

:(

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

I am sure a few "turkeys" will be happy as well...:)

well, good things is that, now Turks wont mix their mind if their elders are Turkey, and now Turkeys will be happy not to be a Turk.

I laughed a lot, thanks for the picture, i thought of putting a turkey picture too but didnt want to joke after testing request.
Thanks a lot again for the laugh, nice picture, probably i wouldnt find a better one.

Done!

THANK you verrrrry much, now i am a happy Turk from Türkiye :( :(

#7 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4163 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:12 AM

Math: What is the result of 3 + 3 - 4?

What about those that dont know how to figure this out.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

What about those that dont know how to figure this out.

It's all right, those few should know The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything:
they just put in 42 and they will be registered nonetheless :) .

http://en.wikipedia....iki/42_(number)

jaclaz

#9 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

Ok, I've done some more work this morning.

- Added "(optional)" text where necessary
- Added random math question
- Added random text-type question
- Increase the size of the "Country" label

What about those that don't know how to figure this out.

Adding 42 as jaclaz pointed out would solve all our questions, but unfortunately would also make the life easier for spam bots.

How about adding a small message on the page footer saying something like:

"If you are unable to complete the registration, please contact an adminstrator at [email address] to manually create your account."

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 November 2008 - 04:18 PM

How about adding a small message on the page footer saying something like:

"If you are unable to complete the registration, please contact an adminstrator at [email address] to manually create your account."

What about a little more aggressive message, like :(:
Comeon, if you can't make out the result of 3 + 3 - 4 you are simply wasting your time registering here. (sooner or later jaclaz will force you to also multiply and divide sectors :))
Please go here:
http://www.aaastudy.com/add.htm
AND here:
http://www.aaastudy.com/sub.htm
study a bit, and, when you feel ready to give this challenge :( another go, come back.

jaclaz

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

What about a little more aggressive message, like :) :
Comeon, if you can't make out the result of 3 + 3 - 4 you are simply wasting your time registering here. (sooner or later jaclaz will force you to also multiply and divide sectors :) )
Please go here:
http://www.aaastudy.com/add.htm
AND here:
http://www.aaastudy.com/sub.htm
study a bit, and, when you feel ready to give this challenge :( another go, come back.

jaclaz

Your first REALLY immediatelly helpful post I've seen since a long time!

Peter :(

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

I have a few more alternatives to:

"If you are unable to complete the registration, please contact an administrator at [email address] to manually create your account."

Like:
(phishing)::)

"If you are unable to complete the registration, please contact an administrator at [email address] to manually create your account. Please add in the message your bank account, Login and Password - they are ALL needed for verification."

(logical impossibility) :)

"If you are unable to complete the registration, please contact an administrator at [email address] to manually create your account. Only messages with the result of 3 + 3 - 4 in the title will be dealt with."

(really aggressive) :(

"If you are unable to complete the registration, FORGET about it, you're simply too dumb to get in! "

(careless) :(

"If you are unable to complete the registration, it's your problem"

jaclaz

#13 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

It's all right, those few should know The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything:
they just put in 42 and they will be registered nonetheless :) .

http://en.wikipedia....iki/42_(number)

jaclaz

those few also know that cars are not the sovereign form of life in earth but the mouses do.

#14 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

(sooner or later jaclaz will force you to also multiply and divide sectors :))

This is goooood :( :( you are on your mood jaclaz

- Increase the size of the "Country" label

sorry for my bad english, i meant this:
current page is like that:
http://img530.images...ge=snap1ce2.png
i guess it should be this
http://img530.images...ge=snap2uw8.png
or this
http://img397.images...ge=snap3uo4.png
maybe i am mistaken, only sharing idea.

"If you are unable to complete the registration, welcome to internet comunity, see you after a month, we hope you comeback and will be able to success"

besides that, why not have a box for users that cant register, in case of register page fails (not question misanswer)!?
http://img374.images...ge=snap4ip1.png
maybe a good idea maybe a bad idea for spam mails, you decide.

#15 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:26 PM

maybe i am mistaken, only sharing idea.

I can't remove the label as it comes as default when outputting the custom profile settings.. :)

Adding a direct email box would also require some security boxes to avoid spam bot mail.. :(

----

Jaclaz is indeed inspired. I think I'll place his personal mailbox on the footer of the registration page when people need admin assistance.. :) :(

If they don't know how to add/subtract numbers and somehow manage to survive at one of these replies from Jaclaz then I'd say that these brave internauts surely deserve a chance to become members of the boot land.

--

But TheHive is nevertheless right and readers that don't understand english wouldn't likely understand the "text-type" challenge. I think it can be replaced with a "color-match" challenge but then we'd be in trouble with the color-blind folks.

Or maybe we add both and let the user choose whichever (text-type or color-match) he finds more adequate to register.

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

If you have a look here:

What does a special register procedure helps, if the bots come as guests?

Peter

#17 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

One step at a time my friend.

First we dealt with the annoying spam bots.

Now we deal with the harvesting ones.

Reading on google I see that they are usually contracted to find suspicious discussions amongst many other interests.

My guess is that this might also be happening on other sites hosted on boot-land.net besides the forums.

#18 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

Hi Nuno

From what i understand here:
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=6396&hl=

User dont understand that he should introduce himself by reading:
"After you complete the registration process you're invited to write a few lines about yourself at the "Hello World" forum section."

I have a friend who is a good user of windows, writes au3 script, but cant write english.

Here is an idea:

For people who select "United Kingdom" and "United States"
"After you complete the registration process you're invited to write a few lines about yourself at the "Hello World" forum section."

For people who select other countries:
"After you complete the registration process you're invited to write a few lines about yourself at the "Hello World" forum section. Also you can write with your own language in "Write In Your Language" section, share your ideas and bug reports.

For people who select other countries and if language is avaliable:
Example: when user select "Turkiye" from country list than:
"Kayit olduktan sonra kendiniz hakkinda birseyler yazmak icin "Hello World" forum bolumune davetlisiniz. Ayrica "Write In Your Language>Turkish" bolumunde Turkce yazabilir, fikirlerinizi ve onerilerinizi paylasabilirsiniz.

The current state wont cause a problem, and i guess you are already very busy. Just sharing idea for future developments :)

#19 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hi Lancelot,

At the moment I am certainly too busy with some other matters but this is a good idea to keep in mind. If I don't mention any progress within a month please remind me so that it doesn't get forgotten.

-------

The registration page could attempt to figure from which country the user is coming from and use a custom language file and native language forum if available.

This wouldn't be so difficult to implement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users