6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Cease

Jim Cease

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:24 AM

I have messing around with the newest vistape for some time with getting my drivers to work. I have waik installed and using the most recent version of winbuilder. I also deleted the winbuilder directory and redownloaded, but every time I do a build when I test it in virtual box I get the following error when booting: "Windows PE cannot start becasue the actual systemroot directory(x:\windows) is different from the configured one(x:\$windows.~bt\windows). This can be configured with the peimg /targetpath command. Please consult the documentation for more details"

Has anyone seen this error and how can I get back to the point where I can actually build something that will boot.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

#2 Dave510

Dave510
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Digging into the registry of the .wim I found this was because of 1 registry key. It's located here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\pe_software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinPE]"PrepStatus"=dword:00000001<strong class='bbc'>"InstRoot"="X:\\$Windows.~BT\\"</strong>change to"InstRoot"="X:\
What is needed is to change InstRoot to the directory below your Windows directory.So, to enable this to work you'll need to set InstRoot equal to the root ALONEYou'll find the location a little different eg substitute "pe_software" with temp ??? and you'll need to download the "edit hives" script through WBmake sure though that the script (part of Debug folder) is above the finalize folder

hope this helps it helped me

#3 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

Hello

What OS are your building on?

Do builds work with Winbuilder 75?

Original post is dated November 15 2008?

I dont understand

#4 Dave510

Dave510
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

building VistaPE on XP x86

I realize the post is old but it would be a disservice to leave a plee unanswered when it is a simple matter to reply.

The post is also a reminder to myself in case I run into this issue again PaPeuser.

see you around

#5 Boomdude

Boomdude

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

building VistaPE on XP x86

I realize the post is old but it would be a disservice to leave a plee unanswered when it is a simple matter to reply.

The post is also a reminder to myself in case I run into this issue again PaPeuser.

see you around

Fixed it myself with a little tinkering around:

[Main]
Title=3 - InstRoot Registry Fix
Type=script
Level=1
Description=Fixes InstRoot path for Win7PE and Win7PERescue
Selected=True
Author=Boomdude
Version=01
Contact=
Date=17.09.09
Locked=false
Download_Level=0

[Process]
Echo,"Patching Registry..."
RegHiveLoad,"Tmp_software",%RegSoftware%
RegWrite,"HKLM",0x1,"Tmp_software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinPE","InstRoot","X:\"
RegHiveUnLoad,"Tmp_software"
Echo,"Patching Complete..."

#6 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Be nice to know why you have to do that and the rest of us who also build the same project do not.

#7 Boomdude

Boomdude

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

I wish I knew!

If I Google the phrase "Windows PE cannot start" it leads to many other posts like the problem I've been having. Likewise there are a small small number of posts like mine as well.

I'm not sure why I had to do this and many others didn't. I even uninstalled my existing WAIK & reinstalled from a freshly-downloaded copy. Granted I know the WAIK I had installed was final anyway, but better safe than sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users