#26 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

I rebooted and used the Windows Recovery Disc and repaired my MBR.

It worked like a charm! but I lost Linux in the process (v-_-v)

:cheers:
I guess we have different ways to define "working like a charm", in my personal view of the sentence, you cannot attach to it a "but" excluding 50% of the wanted result.

Thanks for all the concern! I am TRULY grateful I can't thank jaclaz and you amalux enough for this help!

You are welcome :cheers:, though I cannot see ANY way in which Amalux or myself helped you.
If I am not mistaken you received advise that should have lead you to choose between two (different but leading to the same effect) paths, and chose to use a third one. :cheers:

All I need now is a boot loader that supports Linux Sabayon and Vista and how to install it xP

Well NO. :cheers:

All you need now is to study and learn how to properly install and configure one of the TWO bootloaders that you ALREADY have (grub4dos and Acronis), that can BOTH support Linux and Vista.
In other words:
since you failed TWICE with TWO different bootloaders that BOTH support those OS, it should mean that you somehow use an approach that is not effective; consequently, I would try changing the approach BEFORE changing another time the bootloader...:cheers:

jaclaz

#27 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2008 - 03:36 PM

I rebooted and used the Windows Recovery Disc and repaired my MBR.

It worked like a charm! but I lost Linux in the process (v-_-v)

I only used the

bootrec /fixmbr
command.

Thanks for all the concern! I am TRULY grateful I can't thank jaclaz and you amalux enough for this help!

All I need now is a boot loader that supports Linux Sabayon and Vista and how to install it xP

:cheers: - Great news! Glad the mbr fix worked for you (didn't for me). I'm sure someone could help you save your Linux but for now I'm leaving well enough alone :cheers: - As for a boot loader, I hear that Acronis OS selector works great! :cheers:

fyi, I did get OSS working in LiveXP, actually, it worked before but I needed to use 'Repair' instead of 'Uninstall' option; same as in Windows. Final thought, maybe (part of) the problem was trying to use both OSS and grub4dos together :cheers: Oh well, live and learn right? Glad it worked out.

#28 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

I guess we have different ways to define "working like a charm", in my personal view of the sentence, you cannot attach to it a "but" excluding 50% of the wanted result.

Well I guess it wasn't 100% what I wanted, BUT I do have Windows Running which is the most important to me.

You are welcome :cheers:, though I cannot see ANY way in which Amalux or myself helped you.
If I am not mistaken you received advise that should have lead you to choose between two (different but leading to the same effect) paths, and chose to use a third one. :cheers:

It was amalux which helped me the most, yeah some of his advice didn't work but resetting the MBR was one of his ideas too.

Dunno why it didn't work for him, but I am still really thankful for his help and for comforting me while my system was unbootable :cheers:

Well NO. :cheers:

All you need now is to study and learn how to properly install and configure one of the TWO bootloaders that you ALREADY have (grub4dos and Acronis), that can BOTH support Linux and Vista.
In other words:
since you failed TWICE with TWO different bootloaders that BOTH support those OS, it should mean that you somehow use an approach that is not effective; consequently, I would try changing the approach BEFORE changing another time the bootloader...:cheers:

jaclaz

You're right, I should study more instead of getting into this fixes.

So I still have both bootloaders now that I resetted the MBR?

#29 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

Have you traveled to the galaxy?

#30 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:24 PM

Have you traveled to the galaxy?

Sure, you sass all these strags around, they have NO idea where their towel is! :)

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users