#1 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:28 AM

Hi guys, it's Pikachuwee again!

I recently found out that Acronis Disk Manager has a Boot Manager option that allows you to easily dual boot Operating Systems.

You see, I installed Linux AFTER Windows Vista, so the default Boot Manager is GNU Linux.

I installed Acronis Boot Manager and it only shows Linux as a bootable OS, when I "booted" it, it displayed the GNU Linux Boot Manager, I WTF'd.

A boot manager in top of a boot manager?

I want to boot Linux OR Windows Vista with the Acronis Boot Manager.

This is the OS that displays:

Posted Image

I want it to show Windows Vista AND Linux, when I click on the Linux OS, it shows the Linux Boot Manager where I boot Windows Vista.

I can uninstall it easily and keep my Linux boot manager, but I want to improve to a better one, I can boot Windows and Linux so I there's no rush.

Thanks in advance!

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:20 AM

As I recall, the OSS has to be installed on a different partition than Vista; any other partition will do.

#3 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:22 AM

As I recall, the OSS has to be installed on a different partition than Vista; any other partition will do.

Thanks! I'll do that now.

I will edit this post for the results :cheers:

EDIT: I don't know how to do it :cheers:

Is it the tool that allows you to discover new OSs? I have no idea.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:31 AM

Thanks! I'll do that now.

I will edit this post for the results :cheers:

EDIT: I don't know how to do it :cheers:

Is it the tool that allows you to discover new OSs? I have no idea.

Problem with Edits is that I don't see 'em in 'view new posts', better to just post new each time :cheers:

OK, assuming you installed the OSS on the same drive as Vista (reason it's not working), you need to UN-install it from there and reinstall to a different partition. Best is to use an 'empty' partition that your not using for anything else (otherwise it might get lost when you restore backup images) but any other partition will do (any file system is ok).

1) Deactivate the current OSS in DD10 (you can also do this from Start - Programs - Acronis... Install Acronis OS Selector)
deactivoss.JPG

You'll need to reboot to your 'normal' OS after this (the one where Acronis DD10 is installed).

2) UN-install OSS, either by going to Start - Programs - Acronis... Install Acronis OS Selector
installoss.JPG

or, easier, just delete the files (saves reboot), you'll have to go to Tools - Folder Options - View and choose 'Show hidden files...' and UN-check 'Hide protected operating system files' to see the BOOTWIZ folder and bootwiz.sys which you need to delete.
bootwizdel.JPG

3) Re-install OSS on new (NON-Vista) partition and setup normally, now you'll see Vista as an option in your boot menu :cheers:

#5 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:51 AM

Thanks!

I will try that now.

Is it ok to make a new 50 MB partition for the OSS installer?

Sorry for the edit, I didn't wanted to double post (I moderate a site, I've been trained to merge double posts).

#6 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:07 AM

Is it ok to make a new 50 MB partition for the OSS installer?

Yes, this will work fine and can be located anywhere on the hdd.

#7 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

Help!

I am in a fix, when I did what you told me, I rebooted my computer and AOSS could not find ANY OS!

I freaked out, I couldn't boot Windows Vista nor Linux, luckyly I still had my Linux Sabayon Live Disc (phew!) and I can now have full access to my HDD.

I installed the AOSS on Drive "D:\". While on the Linux Live CD, I deleted the BOOTWIZ.sys and the BOOTWIZ folder from Drive D:\ and when I rebooted, it said "AOSS could not find the necessary files" and my computer blacked out with a continuos beeping sound (ANNOYING).

I found a BOOTWIZ folder in my C:\ , but I could not find a BOOTWIZ.sys, will deleting that folder help?

No files were touched when I installed AOSS.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

The whole idea is:
1) plan what you are going to do BEFORE doing it
2) if you have any doubt, ask for help BEFORE doing the first thing that comes to your mind
3) DON'T PANIC
(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters)
4) Post complete details of your setup, read the "Common Sense Advice" within Rules:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules
though we are generally clever :cheers: guys we still miss some ESP/Divinatory capabilities, right now all you can get is standard reply #32 :cheers::
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2587

I guess you already felt the stress an unbootable system may cause:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5770
:cheers:
if you are going to continue fiddling with hard disks, MBR's and boot managers, you'd better get used to it and keep calm :cheers:, this is not your first time (and it won't be the last :cheers:).

So, just post some info on how the disk(s) are partitioned, how the partitions are (were) seen by both VISTA and Linux, filesystems used, Primary/Logical inside extended, etc., etc.

jaclaz

#9 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

The whole idea is:
1) plan what you are going to do BEFORE doing it
2) if you have any doubt, ask for help BEFORE doing the first thing that comes to your mind
3) DON'T PANIC
(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters)
4) Post complete details of your setup, read the "Common Sense Advice" within Rules:
though we are generally clever :cheers: guys we still miss some ESP/Divinatory capabilities, right now all you can get is standard reply #32 :cheers::
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2587

I guess you already felt the stress an unbootable system may cause:
if you are going to continue fiddling with hard disks, MBR's and boot managers, you'd better get used to it and keep calm :cheers:, this is not your first time (and it won't be the last :cheers:).

So, just post some info on how the disk(s) are partitioned, how the partitions are (were) seen by both VISTA and Linux, filesystems used, Primary/Logical inside extended, etc., etc.

jaclaz

Oh hey Jaclaz, nice seeing you again :cheers:

Yeah I freaked out a tiny bit since the computer emitted these really loud beeps lol.

Anyways, before Acronis, my computer booted with a GNU GRUB boot loader, it booted my Linux OS and my Windows OS.

I installed the AOSS (Acronis OS Selector) today on my C:\ but it only displayed Linux (which was the bootloader that loaded both, Linux and Windows), I posted this thread to know how is it possible to boot Linux or Vista directly using the AOSS without touching the GNU GRUB boot loader.

I uninstalled it from my C:\ and then installed the AOSS on my temp file D:\ and when I rebooted, it could not find any OS, I luckily found my Linux Sabayon Live CD collecting dust on my book shelf, I booted it using the BIOS and I finally could only ask for help.

There is a BOOTWIZ folder in my C:\, I am guessing that's causing the problem (I already deleted the BOOTWIZ folder/BOOTWIZ.sys in my D:/) but I am not doing anything before knowing if that's the problem.

1)The BOOTWIZ folder in my C:\ might be the problem.
2)It boots AOSS on boot (There are no OS displayed so I can't boot).
3)Deleting it might resolve the problem.
4)Delete.

I haven't done anything yet until I get the green light from you guys :cheers:

Thanks and I've told all my friends about this wonderful site and it's wonderful members :cheers:

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hmm, :cheers: I guess some not so slightly clarifications need to be made.

Anyways, before Acronis, my computer booted with a GNU GRUB boot loader, it booted my Linux OS and my Windows OS.

You mean of course grub4dos, which is derived from, but NOT GNU GRUB. :cheers:

I installed the AOSS (Acronis OS Selector) today on my C:\ but it only displayed Linux (which was the bootloader that loaded both, Linux and Windows), I posted this thread to know how is it possible to boot Linux or Vista directly using the AOSS without touching the GNU GRUB boot loader.

Well, you may have been thinking of installing it to C:\ but most probably you actually installed it in the MBR (+hidden sectors) and/or in the bootsector of the partition.

1)The BOOTWIZ folder in my C:\ might be the problem.
2)It boots AOSS on boot (There are no OS displayed so I can't boot).
3)Deleting it might resolve the problem.
4)Delete.

Point #f2.

NOW:

jaclaz

#11 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

Hmm, :cheers: I guess some not so slightly clarifications need to be made.

You mean of course grub4dos, which is derived from, but NOT GNU GRUB. :cheers:

Yes, sorry.

Well, you may have been thinking of installing it to C:\ but most probably you actually installed it in the MBR (+hidden sectors) and/or in the bootsector of the partition.

I told Acronis to install it on C:\

Point #f2.

That's just my view on the problem, I am not an expert in booting but it is common sense.

Here's a screenshot from Gparted. (Attachment)

It shows how my HDD is formatted and the partitions it has.

Attached Thumbnails

• snapshot1.png

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:07 PM

OK, assuming you installed the OSS on the same drive as Vista (reason it's not working), you need to UN-install it from there and reinstall to a different partition. Best is to use an 'empty' partition that your not using for anything else (otherwise it might get lost when you restore backup images) but any other partition will do (any file system is ok).

Yes, this will work fine and can be located anywhere on the hdd.

I don't know much about Acronis, but shouldn't the partition be an Active one and a Primary one?

If not, it means that something has been changed in the MBR (and possibly hidden sectors too).

@Pikachu
You need to format anyway that small partition, then do as Amalux told you:

3) Re-install OSS on new (NON-Vista) partition and setup normally, now you'll see Vista as an option in your boot menu

For the record, my common sense tells me that an empty folder is an empty folder, otherwise it would mean that by installing OSS on one of my drives/partitions would deprive me of the possibility of creating on ANY drive or partition an empty folder and name it as I fancy it, like "BOOTWIZ", a serious attempt to my freedom....:cheers:

jaclaz

#13 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

@Pikachu
You need to format anyway that small partition, then do as Amalux told you:

For the record, my common sense tells me that an empty folder is an empty folder, otherwise it would mean that by installing OSS on one of my drives/partitions would deprive me of the possibility of creating on ANY drive or partition an empty folder and name it as I fancy it, like "BOOTWIZ", a serious attempt to my freedom....:cheers:

jaclaz

So jaclaz, what do you suggest I do? format D:\ ?

#14 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:35 PM

Wow, I go to bed for a few hours and all hell breaks loose!! :cheers: - First, I'm sorry for your troubles and I'd like to help but I don't want to get in Jaclaz's way, so check with him before doing anything I guess :cheers:

The files you deleted should still be in your Recycle Bin and will show you infos in properties to confirm where they were deleted from; simply restoring (copying back) these files should resolve this issue (assuming you haven't done additional things in the hours waiting for the server to cooperate).
untitled.JPG

Problems with server are going to make it very difficult for me to communicate or even follow this thread - at present this response took: 1 HOUR and 33 MINUTES to get through and counting...

#15 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

NO.

I was suggesting to format the new partition, the one around 50 Mb, and install OSS to it as Amalux told you.

You do realize that we have NO way to know for sure what is your "C:\" or "D:\" or ANY other drive letter since the only info that you posted is a gparted screenshot (where partitions are named /dev/sdan? :cheers:

jaclaz

#16 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

NO.

I was suggesting to format the new partition, the one around 50 Mb, and install OSS to it as Amalux told you.

You do realize that we have NO way to know for sure what is your "C:\" or "D:\" or ANY other drive letter since the only info that you posted is a gparted screenshot (where partitions are named /dev/sdan? :cheers:

jaclaz

The problem is, I can't install OSS again since I can't boot Windows.

ACER (NTFS [Dev/sda2]) = "C:\" (Windows)

PSP GAMES (NTFS [Dev/sda3]) = "D:\" (Temp files/my PSP game backups)

Sorry it took so long, the site seems to be having server problems.

#17 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:30 PM

Wow, I go to bed for a few hours and all hell breaks loose!! :cheers: - First, I'm sorry for your troubles and I'd like to help but I don't want to get in Jaclaz's way, so check with him before doing anything I guess :cheers:

The files you deleted should still be in your Recycle Bin and will show you infos in properties to confirm where they were deleted from; simply restoring (copying back) these files should resolve this issue (assuming you haven't done additional things in the hours waiting for the server to cooperate).
untitled.JPG

Problems with server are going to make it very difficult for me to communicate or even follow this thread - at present this response took: 1 HOUR and 33 MINUTES to get through and counting...

Sorry, I am using the Linux Sabayon Live CD and when I deleted the files (which I thought it was going to relieve the problem) they went to the trash can that gets cleared everytime I reboot.

Now OSS gives me an error on boot and I can't boot at all.

PS: Sorry for the double post.

#18 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

Sorry, I am using the Linux Sabayon Live CD and when I deleted the files (which I thought it was going to relieve the problem) they went to the trash can that gets cleared everytime I reboot.

Now OSS gives me an error on boot and I can't boot at all.

PS: Sorry for the double post.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: SERVER!!! (OK, I'll calm down now)

Do you have any means of running DD10 in LiveXP, Acronis Rescue Media, other bootable part?? etc. Do you have the partition where you deleted the files backed up with TrueImage or similar?

#19 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:45 PM

Wouldn't be the simplest solution to re-install grub4dos with bootlace.com and get back to the (working) situation you had before:

Then boot back to Vista and reinstall Acronis from fresh?

jaclaz

#20 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

fwiw, If you delete all instances of BOOTWIZ folders and bootwiz.sys files from every partition, you should be able to boot normally to your primary OS; if you have more than one active OS, you should probably hide the other partitions till all is setup right again; you may get warnings from OSS at reboot 'drive not found' but that's OK, just the hidden drive(s). Once this is done and you can boot normally to your primary OS, let me know for further instructions! I don't see any reason to loose your existing installs/data! (Jaclaz, OK?) Just bear with me and this FRACKIN' SERVER! :cheers:

#21 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:58 PM

I don't see any reason to loose your existing installs/data! (Jaclaz, OK?)

SURE :cheers:.
Data is the only thing of value!

Though of course I need to say it ( I tried to avoid it, but you called me in :cheers:):
http://www.msfn.org/...t....html&st=13

If you care about data on your hard disks, backup.
Even if you don't, backup as well.
In case of doubt, backup.

And this applies PARTICULARLY before fiddling with partition utilities, bootmanagers and the like, EXPECIALLY if you don't (yet :cheers:) know where your towel is.
EVEN if you are known as a hoppy frood, BACKUP.

HGTG slang, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

jaclaz

#22 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

SURE :cheers:.
Data is the only thing of value!

Though of course I need to say it ( I tried to avoid it, but you called me in :cheers:):
http://www.msfn.org/...t....html&st=13

And this applies PARTICULARLY before fiddling with partition utilities, bootmanagers and the like, EXPECIALLY if you don't (yet :cheers:) know where your towel is.
EVEN if you are known as a hoppy frood, BACKUP.

HGTG slang, see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towel_Day

jaclaz

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! YES!!!! :cheers:

OK, I was finally able to reproduce this issue and FIX IT!! :cheers:

Pikachu, when you get the error at boot 'OS not found' (or similar) hit 'F6' key fast; I missed it a few times, just start hitting 'F6' rapidly at reboot when you see the three line text menu come up (only shows for a second), something like:

Esc to view Menu
F6 to skip Menu
Enter to Reboot (or similar)

If you can skip the menu, you will boot to whatever your normal OS was and you can clean things up from there! I've tried it every way possible and it works!! The only possible issue would be conflicts between multiple bootable partitions; you may need to hide some of these but wasn't a problem for XP and Vista here. Let us know if that works and I'll walk you through 'cleaning up' the OSS install.

NOTE! Don't reboot until you've cleaned up the OSS install or you'll have to 'F6' again past the error.

--
Once you get booted to your OS and can run OSS installer, your given different options depending the state of your install. If your given the option, choose 'Custom' install
osscustom.JPG
and then choose the partition you want to install to (dedicated 50MB). If you're given the option to Repair, Uninstall etc. you should uninstall, reboot, then 'Custom' install clean. I know this seems complicated and unnerving but it's really pretty strait forward. The problem occurs if you don't uninstall (or install) completely before rebooting, the OSS gets confused (and so do we). Hope this helps!!

#23 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! YES!!!! :cheers:

OK, I was finally able to reproduce this issue and FIX IT!! :cheers:

Pikachu, when you get the error at boot 'OS not found' (or similar) hit 'F6' key fast; I missed it a few times, just start hitting 'F6' rapidly at reboot when you see the three line text menu come up (only shows for a second), something like:

Esc to view Menu
F6 to skip Menu
Enter to Reboot (or similar)

If you can skip the menu, you will boot to whatever your normal OS was and you can clean things up from there! I've tried it every way possible and it works!! The only possible issue would be conflicts between multiple bootable partitions; you may need to hide some of these but wasn't a problem for XP and Vista here. Let us know if that works and I'll walk you through 'cleaning up' the OSS install.

NOTE! Don't reboot until you've cleaned up the OSS install or you'll have to 'F6' again past the error.

--
Once you get booted to your OS and can run OSS installer, your given different options depending the state of your install. If your given the option, choose 'Custom' install
osscustom.JPG
and then choose the partition you want to install to (dedicated 50MB). If you're given the option to Repair, Uninstall etc. you should uninstall, reboot, then 'Custom' install clean. I know this seems complicated and unnerving but it's really pretty strait forward. The problem occurs if you don't uninstall (or install) completely before rebooting, the OSS gets confused (and so do we). Hope this helps!!

Ok I got it.

I'll reboot, skip the menu and boot to Vista and uninstall this mess.

Hopefully, I'll be back in Vista again, thanks so much for all your help!:cheers:

EDIT: I could only hear beeps, I wouldn't allow me to skip the menu, the error loaded up I can't skip it.

#24 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Ok I got it.

I'll reboot, skip the menu and boot to Vista and uninstall this mess.

Hopefully, I'll be back in Vista again, thanks so much for all your help!:cheers:

EDIT: I could only hear beeps, I wouldn't allow me to skip the menu, the error loaded up I can't skip it.

I experienced this exact behavior!! Continuous beeping and all (yes, very annoying). When the beeping starts, hold in the power button to shut down the PC. Start it again and immediately start hitting that F6 rapid-fire! If you get to the error screen, hit OK and immediately start hitting the F6 again rapid-fire. Took me a few tries to get it just right (now I'm an expert :cheers: ). Seriously, this really should work and is your best bet for clearing this up 'easily' :cheers:

Once you get the OS booted you will want to run the OSS installer and choose 'Repair' option. Even if you want to un-install it (who could blame you), still run the repair first, reboot and then un-install if wanted. I've done this whole process about 10 times now and I assure you it works here.

If all this fails, with your limited options, you'll probably want to setup a temporary 'parallel' install to work from and may need to hide all the other partitions while you boot to the new OS, run the OSS installer from there and follow the same repair/uninstall steps above. All this assuming Jaclaz doesn't come up with something better (probably will) and of course, please ask questions as you go so we can help if possible.

--
fyi, things I tried that didn't work:

running OSS installer from LiveXP, seemed to work but same error!
Acronis rescue media doesn't include OSS functions. Huh?
running bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot from Vista DVD.
editing OSS bootwiz.oss data and config files in BOOTWIZ.
deleting all instances of BOOTWIZ and bootwiz.sys on all part roots.
a few other things I can't remember...

#25 Pikachu

Pikachu

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

I experienced this exact behavior!! Continuous beeping and all (yes, very annoying). When the beeping starts, hold in the power button to shut down the PC. Start it again and immediately start hitting that F6 rapid-fire! If you get to the error screen, hit OK and immediately start hitting the F6 again rapid-fire. Took me a few tries to get it just right (now I'm an expert :cheers: ). Seriously, this really should work and is your best bet for clearing this up 'easily' :cheers:

Once you get the OS booted you will want to run the OSS installer and choose 'Repair' option. Even if you want to un-install it (who could blame you), still run the repair first, reboot and then un-install if wanted. I've done this whole process about 10 times now and I assure you it works here.

If all this fails, with your limited options, you'll probably want to setup a temporary 'parallel' install to work from and may need to hide all the other partitions while you boot to the new OS, run the OSS installer from there and follow the same repair/uninstall steps above. All this assuming Jaclaz doesn't come up with something better (probably will) and of course, please ask questions as you go so we can help if possible.

--
fyi, things I tried that didn't work:

running OSS installer from LiveXP, seemed to work but same error!
Acronis rescue media doesn't include OSS functions. Huh?
running bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot from Vista DVD.
editing OSS bootwiz.oss data and config files in BOOTWIZ.
deleting all instances of BOOTWIZ and bootwiz.sys on all part roots.
a few other things I can't remember...

I rebooted and used the Windows Recovery Disc and repaired my MBR.

It worked like a charm! but I lost Linux in the process (v-_-v)

I only used the
bootrec /fixmbr
command.

Thanks for all the concern! I am TRULY grateful I can't thank jaclaz and you amalux enough for this help!

All I need now is a boot loader that supports Linux Sabayon and Vista and how to install it xP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users