#1 dylan80

dylan80

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:32 AM

this is a pretty cool boot disk.

i added some apps to the boot.wim and im trying to find where the agent toolbox menu entries are located. ive looked in all the users startmenu folders and even the system profile folders located in \system32\config\system and everywhere i can think of, not only on the cd but in the boot.wim as well as the loaded ram drive once booted into it. ive opened everything i can in notepad looking for the menu entries, i want to be able to add shortcuts to the new apps ive loaded in. im now thinking that maybe the menu entries are hard coded into the main exe, as this distro is not meant to be expanded i guess.

any1 have the geeksquad boot disk or would otherwise have an idea where the menu entries could be located?

also seems the desktop is unavailable too, u can minimise the mri interface and see a desktop, adding shortcuts to all desktop locations wields nothing.

sorry if i posted in the wrong section, couldnt see a help area n figured projects seems about right, can someone please help me find the toolbox menu entries

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:21 AM

Hi Dylan.

You will have to post more details but beware that we only provide help and support for questions related to building Windows PE from legal means. The boot disk you have should not be confused with a linux distro as it is not free to distribute in the first place.

I don't know what GS MRI is and when I googled, for my surprise the top result was this post on boot land so I guess it's just the work of someone who uploaded his VistaPE online.

I think you'd be better off creating your own boot disk, it's not difficult and you end up customizing everything the way you want.

Give it a spin - http://vistape.net

:cheers:

#3 dylan80

dylan80

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hi thanks for the response.

its not a linux distro, and yes this distro could be considered illegal. but im not distributing or sharing it or spreading warez in any way. just asking for general info.

this is the geek squad mri bde, and there is nothing out there in comparison to this, its face/laser feature automatically performs malware scans with more than a handfull of scanners and all kinds of diagnostics and general fixes. all automated. nothing i could make would even come close to this.

now this is a windows pe, but the mri interface is a seperate but intergrated front end. i have a bad feeling the menu entries (shortcuts) may be coded into the exe. could any1 who has any idea help figure where they could be or how i could decompile the exe?

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Unfortunately not possible without knowing more extensive details, don't they have a website or support forum where these questions can be replied by themselves?

Do you have any links to documentation or similar where I can read more about this?

:cheers:

#5 Jager

Jager
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

The GS MRI has several utilities built into it. The boot menu itself is built with EasyBoot (.EZB extensions) and thus are pretty easy to tweak and change the stuff it boots. As far as the mri.exe goes; it is definately something else. It seems to be built on VistaPE or a similar project, however, this particular file can run locally inside of windows, regardless of its OS. The boot disk itself has some tools built into it that are free (hard drive test images, memtest images, some licensed software from Eurosoft [PCCheck and something else]). The FACE/LASER feature is basically a batch running of 7-10 antivirus programs that have been commercially licensed. They run in as silent of a mode as possible. It automatically downloads any updates for this software. The background is different every time you boot, as well.

Considering this is typically the most that the Squad will actually do to a computer, it might be helpful to consumers (if any read this or this information gets passed outwards) to know what is actually being done with their PC. Also, I'm not as sure about the rights to reverse engineer software, but I would guess that this could very well be in that category.

#6 dylan80

dylan80

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

hi jager, thx for the input.

do you have any idea where the agent toolbox menu shortcuts would be found?

one interesting point is that the menu differs when run in windows, theres more stuff in it. but less when booted into the pe mri.

i have added apps to the boot.wim and can load them from the file manager, but linking them into the menu or desktop would be nice. tho none of the desktop folders will show up with anything i have added there :cheers:

also any idea on how to increase the size of the x or ram drive? it seems to be premade, not much extra space once loaded but anything can be added prior to loading it up.

#7 Jager

Jager
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:44 PM

Any of the reversing that I have attempted on the boot disk itself was mostly on the boot menu. I tried to do some things with the MRI, etc, but at that point in time I didn't quite know much about the .wim files and the sort, so I have no idea. I haven't had much time to take a second, more close look at the disk since I've been swamped with work. I'm mostly curious as to how the mri.exe was achieved and what all files are contained within. As far as the menu having more items when actually booted into Windows, I think it is able to know where it's being run from (anywhere other than X....) and will showthe extra menu choices in the case that it is not being ran as a booted OS.

#8 dylan80

dylan80

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

whats the best way to edit the ezboot items?

#9 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

SERVICE POST:

From what I can find on the net, this is:

Geek Squad MRI BDE: Core Application
Version 5.0.0.0 built on July 16, 2008
Confidential Trade Secret of 04-08© Geek Squad (Best Buy Enterprise Services, Inc.) For Internal Use Only.

We won't talk about this on this board.

jaclaz

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users