Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:36 AM

Hi all,

I wrote a small script that uses peimg.exe to integrate the ms drivers into vistape. [because in the current build of vistape v12rc1 integrating drivers doesn't work - at least not in my case].

Attached File  my_drivers_ms.zip   4.97KB   690 downloads

The peimg method seems to work very reliably (may be a bit slow at build time, but doesn't require any post processing at runtime nor manual install etc).

I just wanted to share this in case others also had problems to integrate SATA/RAID drivers into vistape.

Unfortunately the prerequisite is to have peimg.exe (which is included in WAIK). You should also download the existing "SATA/RAID/SCSI" script, because my script extracts the (excellent) driver pack from there.

Cheers,
Dave

#2 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:01 AM

thanks...will try to find the best way to get this working without peimg

#3 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

Where could one read whether it would be ok (or not to ok) to include peimg in a script?

Cheers,
Dave

#4 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

i am quite sure it is not ok...we did not get permission to include it (or some other files from waik without the complete waik) into anything...

#5 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:51 PM

Well, I tried it with all the possibilities checked, and got this in Virtual PC 2007 during hardware detection:

Drive_crash.png

I'll try it again with that driver un-checked.

#6 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:35 AM

Jon,

The bluescreen is caused by the voe loader. You can verify this probably by pressing a button before vpe loader detects hardware (I think you have a 5 seconds to do this). Please let us know.

My assumption is that the vpeloader incorrectly loads/unloads drivers. I think testing the vpe loader code a the big challenge for the developers. How could they possibly test all driver / hardware combinations during the development of vpe loader. So probably that explains why there is still a bsod or driver issue here and there.

I guess the developers had to develop the vpe loader, because they are not able to legally include well-proven tools like peimg.exe etc in the vistape package? Asking users to download a 1.3GB as a prerequisite is probably not a good idea.

Cheers,
Dave

#7 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:29 AM

A PRO of the vpeload is, that it can load additional drivers from an usb stick or floppy during boot (automatically).

But i admit that driver loading still has a long way to go...again my recommendation: use only the Vista Standard drivers and add this you really need (preferably vista drivers and not those from the included pack which are xp drivers)

#8 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the information. Is there any information or documentation about this program how it works? Or whether there are any configurable options? For example to disable the hardware detection?

I also have a question regarding the fast/slow mode. I tried both, but it looks like they are both equally slow.

BTW, Thanks for working on VistaPE. It is really a great tool!

Cheers,
Dave

#9 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

Sorry, i have the source, but i think nightman does not want it open for now...i am working on it right now, but this takes long as testing takes a lot of time...i just can ask you for some patience...maybe for vpe12 final something might be ready

#10 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:29 AM

Sorry, for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to ask for the source. Just for documentation about this program how it works? Or whether there are any configurable options? For example to disable the hardware detection?

But since you mentioned it. If nightman opened the source, then more people could test and contribute of course :-)

Cheers,
Dave

#11 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

only the info on vistape.net....everything else is in my and his head only:-)

#12 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

The bluescreen is caused by the voe loader. You can verify this probably by pressing a button before vpe loader detects hardware (I think you have a 5 seconds to do this). Please let us know.

Oh, yeah, that works.

#13 thelegendarypig666

thelegendarypig666

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Hi all,

I wrote a small script that uses peimg.exe to integrate the ms drivers into vistape. [because in the current build of vistape v12rc1 integrating drivers doesn't work - at least not in my case].

Attached File  my_drivers_ms.zip   4.97KB   690 downloads

The peimg method seems to work very reliably (may be a bit slow at build time, but doesn't require any post processing at runtime nor manual install etc).

I just wanted to share this in case others also had problems to integrate SATA/RAID drivers into vistape.

Unfortunately the prerequisite is to have peimg.exe (which is included in WAIK). You should also download the existing "SATA/RAID/SCSI" script, because my script extracts the (excellent) driver pack from there.

Hello, sadly your program do not work for me. It seems to compile fine, then it fail to load correct drivers at boot time for SIL3112, Promise FastTrack and SB600 ATI. It simply seems to happen nothing. If u want more info please ask, becouse I don't know how to look.

#14 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

Well, works for me. I assume that you use Vista SP1 as the source, disabled the existing SATA/RAID script and installed WAIK?

Very important. Did you abort hardware detection (there is a small popup which tells you have five seconds to press a button)? If not, it doesn't work. As you said this part in VistaPE is buggy :-)

If that didn't help, may be the driver in the driver pack is not for your hardware? Then you can try your own driver with the following script:

http://themudcrab.co...ide_drivers.php

This should work, the driver is installed through an "official" microsoft utility. Here is some more information

http://www.realtime-...to_a_file_b.htm
http://technet.micro...y/cc749161.aspx

Cheers,
Dave

#15 thelegendarypig666

thelegendarypig666

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Well, works for me. I assume that you use Vista SP1 as the source, disabled the existing SATA/RAID script and installed WAIK?

Very important. Did you abort hardware detection (there is a small popup which tells you have five seconds to press a button)? If not, it doesn't work. As you said this part in VistaPE is buggy :-)

If that didn't help, may be the driver in the driver pack is not for your hardware? Then you can try your own driver with the following script:

http://themudcrab.co...ide_drivers.php

This should work, the driver is installed through an "official" microsoft utility. Here is some more information

http://www.realtime-...to_a_file_b.htm
http://technet.micro...y/cc749161.aspx

Exactly. source is full Vista with SP1, I do have the PEimg utility (the whole Tools folder from WAIK, I don't think I need the whole WAIK, it should be enough that folder) and your scripts correctly point at it. In fact, during the build, it seems there is no problem and it correctly build, then drivers do not load. Mass Storage drivers in Winbuilder are disabled. And yes, I do stop hardware detection considering it totally crash the whole system. What do the checkbox at stop at any driver load do? It is related with the build time or with the VistaPE boot time?

#16 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:14 PM

In fact, during the build, it seems there is no problem and it correctly build, then drivers do not load. Mass Storage drivers in Winbuilder are disabled.

What do the checkbox at stop at any driver load do? It is related with the build time or with the VistaPE boot time?

You could check this box, this will show a command line window with result of the driver installation. If there is any problem, you would see it there.

Let me know what you see there.

Cheers,
Dave

#17 thelegendarypig666

thelegendarypig666

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

You could check this box, this will show a command line window with result of the driver installation. If there is any problem, you would see it there.

Let me know what you see there.

In fact there is this error during buld noticed JUST AFTER checking the box:

Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PEIMG failed to use the servicing stack shim library (ssshim.dll) to locate a

servicing stack that matches the target image (0x80070003).

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x80070003.

C:\vistape>

Mmmmm, I'm wondering why there is this problem considering the dll is in the same directory of PEimg...

PS: u should put something in the script popping up an error when there is a problem.

#18 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:24 PM

that error was mentioned back in September but no one even answered the post!

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4357

#19 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:35 PM

Not sure why that error happens. What version of WAIK did you install? It should be

6001.18000.080118-1840-kb3aikl_en.iso

For testing purpose I would install the whole WAIK (and not remove any directories).

Cheers,
Dave

PS Yes, it would make sense to display the error, but no idea how to do it. May be one of the script gurus here has an idea?

Exactly. source is full Vista with SP1, I do have the PEimg utility (the whole Tools folder from WAIK, I don't think I need the whole WAIK, it should be enough that folder) and your scripts correctly point at it.

#20 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

In the folder '\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools' next to peimg.exe
there is a very important file called: peimg.ini
look into it!
so the whole '..\x86\servicing' also needed for peimg.exe

(and I think the MSXML6.0 that comes with the AIK also should be installed on the host)

#21 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

that error was mentioned back in September but no one even answered the post!

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4357

to get markus8's tool to work put peimg.exe peimg.ini and the folder en-us with peimg.exe.mui next to his tool
and put the whole x86\Servicing tree to its Parent Directory

#22 thelegendarypig666

thelegendarypig666

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

to get markus8's tool to work put peimg.exe peimg.ini and the folder en-us with peimg.exe.mui next to his tool
and put the whole x86\Servicing tree to its Parent Directory

I had the time to test and your hints were not enough to have the DaveXP script working. I had to completely install the WAIK. Then everything worked fine. I have to say disabling the terribly buggy Mass Storage VistaPE original script I also had the system stable during boot: do not crash anymore during hardware detection and this happen on like 15 machines I have tested.

VistaPE with mass storage units make a little more sense than before also if it is terrbly boring to have WAIK installed just for that.

I have to say, after installing WAIK, VistaPE used by default ImageX to build the WIM (strange, I didn't change anything, I was still building under Vista SP1 DVD).

#23 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

Good to hear, that it works better now. I agree, downloading the 1.2 GB WAIK just for peimg is a bit unfortunate.

Hopefully ctmang and nightman (is he still around?) will be able to replicate that functionality in vistaPE :-)

Cheers,
Dave

#24 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

I had the time to test and your hints were not enough to have the DaveXP script working.

Probably you are right,
the truth is I never tried the 'peimg.exe method' without WAIK.

p.s.
My host is XP.
In my experience it is better to try to build the VistaPE project with WAIK installed on the host OS,
my opinion maybe is not right or not fully true
but it is since my very bad experience from the past with older versions of this project
when tried to use it only with the WimUtil with the result:
glitch in the filesystem of my host OS

#25 peteostro

peteostro

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

Cant get this script working.
First the ms.7z is not in the download location, so I had to copy it from the temp dir.
Once copied, the script does not extract it, just deletes it. So I manually extracted it. Now all that pops is a shell window telling me command not found f:\win pe 2.0 (which is my basedir)

I have Waik fully installed and the scrip its pointing to C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools where it is installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users