Photo
- - - - -

Driver loading issues in VistePE 12

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Loading drivers in VisaPE (18 member(s) have cast votes)

I tried to load a driver in VistaPE and it...

1. ...never worked for me no matter what I did (11 votes [40.74%])

Percentage of vote: 40.74%

2. ...it never worked when I used vpeldr from the tray (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

3. ...it never worked from the command line (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. ...it worked from the command line (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

5. ...it worked from vpeldr (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

6. ...it worked for drivers already in the driverpacks (6 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

7. ...it never worked for drivers already in the driverpacks (1 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

how did you configure the vmware to use the old ethernet chip?

#27 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

how did you configure the vmware to use the old ethernet chip?

In my configuration file VistaPE.vmx I put a comment sign # in front of the entry
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
When this entry is not present, VMware uses VEN_15AD&DEV_0720 (VMware Virtual NIC) instead of Intel Gigabit NIC. Under some circumstances (probably older VMware version?) when this entry is not present a VEN_1022&DEV_2000 (AMD AM79C970 ) is emulated.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#28 artst

artst

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

Pls comment;

I need all the Vista drivers in VistaPE so therefore I did the following:

I used the Winpe.wim from WAIK for Vista and Vista with SP1

I Mounted the WinPE with imagex, and replaced the

Windows\Inf
Windows\System32\drivers
Windows\System32\DriverStore

with the same folders from a comlplete installed and updated system (actually the same phisical unit as I want to test VistaPE on)
from my Vista-installation.
on my Vista installation these folders contain about 1.2GB of data.

I unmounted /comitted the image.
The result was a 500MB WinPE.wim

Then I replaced the standard waik WinPE.wim with the on I created.

Then I cotinued using winbuilder for creating a VistaPE.

The result is various, but, one thing remains the same.
It doesnt boot.

Anyone any ideas why this doesn't work?

Or even better, how i can accomplish my goal to have all the Vista drivers available in VistaPE?

thanks in advance.

B.r.

T.

#29 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

well, try creating a vistape with winbuilder an then add the drivers to this created vistaoe.wim file...maybe this works...

but keep in mind that such a system needs at least 2 GB of ram to boot...

#30 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:03 PM

Hi ctmag and Nightman,

besides solving the issues concerning driver loading, I would suggest that you update the Intel LAN drivers in the driver script before releasing VistaPE 12. Up-to-date is V10.3.39.0 (06/05/2008) that supports the newer Intel chipsets.

Many Greetings
Michael

#31 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hi Artst,

You could try the following. Download your preferred drivers from http://driverpacks.net/ (other other sources) and extract them. Then modify my script by adding a line for each driver you'd like to have in VistaPE - like in the following example:

ShellExecute,%switch2%,"cmd.exe","%switch%#$q%pFileBox1%\peimg.exe#$q /inf=%BaseDir%\downloads\MassStorageDrivers\Drivers\MS\Adaptec\1\ADPU160M.INF  %TargetDir%\Windows"

Cheers.
Dave

Pls comment;

Or even better, how i can accomplish my goal to have all the Vista drivers available in VistaPE?

thanks in advance.

B.r.

T.

#32 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:48 PM

well, i do not think this is what he wants..he want them all:-)) this is (from my point of view) not wise...if (at all) we could think about all lan and all mass storage drivers, and we could write a script the finds all the needed files and adds them, but to include them all (including printer, modem, vga, whatever) is not good idea

#33 artst

artst

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

well, i do not think this is what he wants..he want them all:-)) this is (from my point of view) not wise...if (at all) we could think about all lan and all mass storage drivers, and we could write a script the finds all the needed files and adds them, but to include them all (including printer, modem, vga, whatever) is not good idea

CTMag,

If all Nic's and Storage Drivers would be included, I would be happy with the "SCRIPT THAT FINDS ALL THE NEEDED FILES AND ADDS THEM". That would be GREAT.

I could store the stuff (install.wim 2.x GB in size) on a share on a server while, since VISTAPE is able to connect to a share, the drivers could reside there and be found and installed I guess, Right?

Or, otherwise, perhaps VistaPE rc1 could be enabled to let detect, download, and install drivers from sites such as DriverAgent and all those other websites that offer such service, manufacturing websites included.

Even better, Both options & everybody would be able to have all the hardware detected and installed, one way or another.

Pls comment on the next thought:
Something else, I managed to find my way in mounting the boot.wim and install.wim.
Though, I havent quite figured out how the hardware detection and driver installation is performed within Vista.
I am asking since I asume that if I know how that works, I might be able to boot VistaPE and, while VistaPE is running, I perhaps could initiate the hardware detection and driver installation procedure as applicable in Vista, to end up with a fully hardware compatible (drivers installed) VistaPE.

Thanx so far.

Kind regards,

T.

#34 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:31 AM

Anyone any ideas why this doesn't work?

It doesn't work because only the driver files were added with the method -- no corresponding registry required registry entries were added. Note that this is what peimg does: injects driver files as well as generating needed registry entries.

Regards,
Galapo.

#35 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

well peimg adds them to the driverstore, but as vpeldr.exe loads the driver bvased on the pnp id this should not matter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users