• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:04 PM

Had an interesting discussion with a new neighbor this evening, who happend to be a psychologist.
And in his opinion, what we do here (the developers) is bad for our health. Psychological health that is.

He said, that it is bad for any being to apply limits to itself. For a healthy psyche it is important that limits are enforced from an external source, so that we can rebell/fight against them.

What do you think? Is he a nutjob or onto something?

:confused1:

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

Nahh.. :confused1:

There's really need to apply limits to ourselves, whenever any developer walks outside onto a grey area there's always Jaclaz to remind us of the forum rules and bring things back to order. :cheers:

Besides, there's (still) no scientific evidences that using wb on daily basis is bad for your health.. :cheers:

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

It can be detrimental to the attempt to complete one's phd thesis, though...

That has other consequences: wife is not happy, lack of income, etc...

But then WB development is fun!

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:41 PM

I totally disagree. Self-discipline is a mind and character exercise. From the Froyd's point of view :confused1: , there is an inner battle between what I "want to do" :cheers: and what I "must do :cheers: ", or between the subcontinent instinct and the super-ego rules that must be followed.
I think winbuilder is that golden mean between them.
s

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

I think self-discipline might be something different than limiting oneself. At least i can't remember my parents ever referring to self-discipline, when i shouldn't do something. Only ever if i should force myself to do something.
You know like hanging in there, not giving up, practicing harder, ... Things that push my limits further out.

:cheers:

#6 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

I think self-discipline might be something different than limiting oneself. At least i can't remember my parents ever referring to self-discipline, when i shouldn't do something. Only ever if i should force myself to do something.
You know like hanging in there, not giving up, practicing harder, ... Things that push my limits further out.

he he, neither my own parents were talking about self-discipline, it was more possible for my mother to hunt me around the table with a slipper when i was child making her furious than talking to me about maturity and responsibility. :cheers:

#7 thunn

thunn

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:computers<br />mechanics<br />distortion<br /><br />
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:59 PM

It a very personal issue for everyone as such a vast number of things define us. People are simply not all alike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users