#76 felix

felix

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Sports
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:03 PM

I too am having the same problem TheHive mentioned.
Installing WAIK fixed it but it's not a solution just a temporary thing :cheers:

No need to hurry ctmag.
Just take it easy and don't forget to relax :cheers:

#77 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

Well, i need more details....if possible try to describe everything related to you setup...i need to find a way to reproduce this problem so i can fix it...

#78 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

ctmag,

I was wondering, whether the problem is understood now? A lot of scripts don't work (especially when the add entries to the registry). Or is there another way to solve this?

Cheers
Dave

the cddrive problem: i need more time to understand, will come back to this later...

#79 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:15 PM

Sorry dave, i do not understand what you mean. Felix and thehive have a build issue which i could never reproduce. as long as noone can tell me how i can make this happend i do not know what to fix...

this has nothing to do with scripts and registry settings...

#80 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

Hi ctmag,

here is more information. I thought the following is the problem:

Many script use %PE_Programs% like in the following example
reg_add,0x1,"%reg%\Classes\jarfile\shell\open\command","","#$q%PE_Programs%\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe#$q -jar #$q%1#$q %*"

This will create a path that starts with %CDDrive%. Unfortunately after boot up this path is not recognized in VistaPE.

I guess MaxQnx tried to fix the problem by patching "script.project":
%PE_Programs%=Y:\Programs
// %PE_Programs%=#$pCDDrive#$p\Programs

This seems to fix the problem. Unfortunately the letter Y is hardcoded of course.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,
Dave

Sorry dave, i do not understand what you mean. Felix and thehive have a build issue which i could never reproduce. as long as noone can tell me how i can make this happend i do not know what to fix...

this has nothing to do with scripts and registry settings...

#81 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

Hi ctmag,

here is more information. I thought the following is the problem:

Many script use %PE_Programs% like in the following example
reg_add,0x1,"%reg%\Classes\jarfile\shell\open\command","","#$q%PE_Programs%\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe#$q -jar #$q%1#$q %*"

This will create a path that starts with %CDDrive%. Unfortunately after boot up this path is not recognized in VistaPE.

I guess MaxQnx tried to fix the problem by patching "script.project":
%PE_Programs%=Y:\Programs
// %PE_Programs%=#$pCDDrive#$p\Programs

This seems to fix the problem. Unfortunately the letter Y is hardcoded of course.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Actually, that's the script coder's error. All registry entries that include %PE_Programs% should be added to the registry by RegAddBoot if it's to run in VistaPE. Previously, to work in both LiveXP and VistaPE you had to include both the Reg_Add line and the RegAddBoot line. But now that RegAddBoot is implemented in the LiveXP API you can do it with just the RegAddBoot line and have it work with both.

It's impossible to fix the issue properly with a build-time patch because in VistaPE 12 (and 11?) the CD drive letter isn't known until boot time. OTOH, it's a pain to separate out those lines from an automatically generated script file and fix them, especially for a big set of registry entries. That's why I posted A suggestion for Reg2WBS and/or ConvRegToInf, now that LiveXP has RegAddBoot.

RegAddBoot - during the boot process VistaPE can add/modify registry settings, it's requested for correction path to the programs. The command syntax is fully analogous to "RegWrite" command of WinBuilder. For example: "RegAddBoot,"HKLM",0x1,"SOFTWARE\Classes\expandfile\shell\uniextract\command","","%PE_Programs%\Universal Extractor\uniextract.exe %1"

#82 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

Jon,

thanks for your explanation. That makes sense.

So let's hope that script writers will change their scripts accordingly ... :-) And I like your suggestion "A suggestion for Reg2WBS and/or ConvRegToInf, now that LiveXP has RegAddBoot."

But wouldn't it be possible to do something similar for "reg_add". If it contains PE_Programs or so, then it automatically uses "RegAddBoot"? What do you think?

Cheers,
Dave

#83 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:51 AM

But wouldn't it be possible to do something similar for "reg_add". If it contains PE_Programs or so, then it automatically uses "RegAddBoot"? What do you think?

I suppose it could be done ... I don't know what's preferable or easier.

#84 smiley2

smiley2

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

There is something really weird using the boot drive "X:"
It's shrinking magically, if I try to copy or delete something.
Is this normal behavior? This should be a RAM disk, right?

e.g. showing 60 MB free, after one file action it has only 19 MB total size??

#85 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

please give mor detail...

what du you do, step by step

#86 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:14 PM

I bet he is copying files to X: and does not understand FBWF.

The X drive in VistaPE is not a RAMdisk. There is a system called File Based Write Filter (FBWF) which makes it appear that you can write to the X drive by storing written information in RAM. However, you cannot delete information from the X drive and I think you cannot create a directory. Every time you write to the X drive you use up some of the space and you can never get that space back. The amount of space is set in the "Basic Configuration and Tools" script under the "Base" heading.

If you need a RAMdisk you must create one. There is an "IMDisk RAMdisk" script under the "Addons" heading. My QSoft RAMdisk script works too.

#87 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:44 PM

Actually, that's the script coder's error. All registry entries that include %PE_Programs% should be added to the registry by RegAddBoot if it's to run in VistaPE. Previously, to work in both LiveXP and VistaPE you had to include both the Reg_Add line and the RegAddBoot line. But now that RegAddBoot is implemented in the LiveXP API you can do it with just the RegAddBoot line and have it work with both.

It's impossible to fix the issue properly with a build-time patch because in VistaPE 12 (and 11?) the CD drive letter isn't known until boot time. OTOH, it's a pain to separate out those lines from an automatically generated script file and fix them, especially for a big set of registry entries. That's why I posted A suggestion for Reg2WBS and/or ConvRegToInf, now that LiveXP has RegAddBoot.

@JohnF
Here I understand the underlying issue much better than in your post 'a suggestion ...'

I think it could be possible to give a switch 'separate list information' to Reg2WBS which can output the script lines in a different order, especially here, all the %CDDrive% lines first or last.

Could that help?

Such a separator list as switch would'nt demand some hardcoded stuff. And therefore if possible, I would include.

Peter

#88 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

@JonF

Excuse my ignorance. I think I'm now understanding your intention more and more. Maybe it has been also a question of my native language which is NOT English.

I thought about the CDDrive issue a bit during last minutes.

Would it help to add an input switch like

-B<string>&#91;,<string>&#91;, ...&#93;&#93;

And if <string> appears in the value of the reg entry, Reg2WBS generates a 'RegAddBoot' instead of a 'reg_add'

Peter

#89 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

And if <string> appears in the value of the reg entry, Reg2WBS generates a 'RegAddBoot' instead of a 'reg_add'

Yes, that I think is what he is after: a way to generate instead a 'RegAddBoot' when %PE_Programs% exists in the 'reg_add'. Note though: RegAddBoot follows the native syntax of WB, not the api-styled reg_add syntax. So it is not as simple as replacing 'reg_add' with 'RegAddBoot' in the string.

Regards,
Galapo.

#90 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

Yes, that I think is what he is after: a way to generate instead a 'RegAddBoot' when %PE_Programs% exists in the 'reg_add'. Note though: RegAddBoot follows the native syntax of WB, not the api-styled reg_add syntax. So it is not as simple as replacing 'reg_add' with 'RegAddBoot' in the string.

Regards,
Galapo.

Again a new understanding!

%PE_Programs% is already handled hardcoded when the API flag is set (because %PE_Programs% is fundamental part of the API)
So just change the output of a %PE_Programs% line?

Peter

#91 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

So just change the output of a %PE_Programs% line?

Yes, I think that should be it, or at least that's my understanding of it. Hopefully JonF will be able to confirm for you soon.

Regards,
Galapo.

#92 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:54 AM

Yes, I thnk that would do it. Thank you.

#93 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

But also adding %PE_Programs%, too, to the line?

#94 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

To make it clear for a stupid programmer:

Currently the output is:

reg_add,0x2,%reg%\Key,Value,&#34;SomeText%PE_Programs%some other text&#34;

What should it be now?

Peter

#95 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:17 AM

RegAddBoot,RootKey,ValueType,Key,ValueName,Value

Some examples from LiveXP scripts:
RegAddBoot,HKCU,0x1,Software\EasyBoot Systems\UltraISO\5.0,,%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%
RegAddBoot,HKLM,0x1,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\IZArc,,%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\IZArc.exe
RegAddBoot,HKLM,0x1,Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers,DefaultSpoolDirectory,#$ptemp#$p\PrintSpool

Regards,
Galapo.

#96 smiley2

smiley2

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:19 PM

I bet he is copying files to X: and does not understand FBWF.

Thats correct.
Many thanks, problem solved.

#97 ssterjo

ssterjo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

hello everyone. im having problems with vista pe 12 rc1. it seems that whatever i do, i cant seem to get it working. every build i make takes a lot of time, and i cant just try every single one and build everytime. after i select vistape in grub, and windows loads files, i get a blue screen with the following error code: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x88531132, 0x8560662c, 0x85606328. please, im going crazy to make it work. can someone tell me what to do. its not a memory failure, i tried it in many pcs, and graphic error neither, i think. itried also in virtualbox, and nothing. sometimes i get error: cant find [depack here] in api script, and sometimes i get: cant read from registry in HKLM\...
i tried to make a full build, meaning that i included the most possible scripts, eset and paragon too, and all the other applications, but i dont think they are causing the problem at all. please someone help me.
what am i doing wrong?
thanks

#98 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

what am i doing wrong?

To put it REALLY BLUNTLY :(, almost everything. :)

You should:
1) post which source you are using (VISTA SP0 or SP1 with or without WAIK)
2) leave untouched DEFAULT selection for first attempts (the idea is that the less things you have in your build, the less probabilities of errors there are)
3) post as attachement the log.hml (possibly compressed to .zip or .7z)

http://www.boot-land...p?showtopic=431
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=2420

:(

jaclaz

#99 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

I would try Vista SP0 as source first. The other combinations (Vista SP1, WAIK, Win2008) didn't work for me .

Cheers,
Dave

#100 ssterjo

ssterjo
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:53 PM

hello. i tried today many many builds. the first, with no changes, did actually work. but i dont want just them. so i tried one with all the addons, it worked. the one with addons and eset smartsecurity, worked. the addons and paragon, worked. then together, didnt work. then again eset alone, didnt work, and paragon alone also. i still dont know which script is problematic, so i can leave it unselected. the log file of the full build, with everything, is attached, but i dont think its gonna help. thanks

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users