Moratorium on blanks
Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:36 AM
I propose to set moratorium on using blanks in following:
- %BaseDir% - path to WinBuilder.
- Names of WinBuilder directories.
- All Project/Script/Link/Ini file names
- WinBuilder has problems with handling blanks (variables, parameters, commands, etc.)
- There is no formal definition on how WB should handle blanks (it's not just one page to write!).
- Blanks require special care in cmd-files.
- While we're in "active stage" of development, we have enough problems to deal with. Allowing blanks would require to test everithing twice each time (OK with blanks doesn't mean OK without them).
- "Blanks"-issue makes requires each bug-report to specify where blanks are present.
- WB may finally come with some reliable solution on blanks.
- When WB become "mature" we would put blanks everywhere, then test and fix related bugs (once!).
Yes, I understand it's significant limitation, but:
- Blanks inside names don't really have any real value to professionals.
- Using such names is generally bug-prone.
- I don't want do deal with "blank"-issues till WB completely eliminates silent syntax errors.
Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:11 AM
This would help concentrate in debugging more relevant issues.
Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:09 PM
Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:26 PM
The BootSDI script shows how important it is for .script developers to have a blank in the WinBuilder path.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users