Hello all,

I built an ISO and BootSDI with the following:
WB75b5
XP sp2
Recommended scripts
Acronis TI
Defraggler
Recuva
Various MBR and HD tools (Mitec, overdisk etc)
Truecrypt

Machine with SI and JMicron controllers with USB and RAID drives.

I can restore and backup and so on. No issue with RAID or drivers etc. Everything works beautifully.

Except Truecrypt. It is possible to open (read and write) regular and system partition. It is possible to "create a file container". But not to "create a volume within a partition/device". An error popup "cannot determine volume type" comes up, after selecting a volume location and clicking next.

Any idea what this could be? I believe this could be related to the fact that the system drive in LiveXP doesn't have any device path. Is there way to change that?

Cheers,
Dave

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

Except Truecrypt. It is possible to open (read and write) regular and system partition. It is possible to "create a file container". But not to "create a volume within a partition/device". An error popup "cannot determine volume type" comes up, after selecting a volume location and clicking next.

Any idea what this could be? I believe this could be related to the fact that the system drive in LiveXP doesn't have any device path. Is there way to change that?

Just an idea, maybe unrelated :unrsure:, but it seems that something in Acronis conflicts with some "direct disk" access, see this:
http://www.boot-land...?...=5736&st=31

And no, if the system drive in LiveXP has no \\.\PhysicalDriven path, it should not be a problem, unless you are trying to create the volume inside the same partition/device of liveXP.

Are you using RAMDISK (or BootSDI as it is called in LiveXP) to boot?

jaclaz

#3 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

I also tried without Acronis. I think the problem is that Truecrypt assumes all OS have a system drive path.

Just to clarify, I am not even trying the create anything in the RAM disk or system drive of LiveXP (would only last one session anyway :-). I just tried to create a disk on one of the other drives.

Would there be a way to fake a system drive path for the volume x: in LiveXP? Or any other ideas? To some extent one could argue that this could be also a Truecrypt bug.

Cheers,
Dave

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

I have also had issues with this program in LiveXP, errors and even BSOD's creating simple, virtual containers. I don't use the program for that reason and it's too dificult to troubleshoot errors of this kind :confused1:

:cheers: - It does on my system. Please explain what you mean.

#5 Dave7

Dave7

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

Amalux,

In my case all other functions in truecrypt work fine (except for encrytping partitions as mentioned already).

Regarding "system drive in LiveXP doesn't have any device path." In the Truecrypt "select a partition of device" dialog the system drive is not listed. I guess that is a problem for Truecrypt.

Cheers, Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users