18 replies to this topic

#1 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:37 AM

This is my first time trying Winbuilder.

I tried all three recommended projects (LiveXP, ReactOS, and Vista PE). Only the ReactOS was successul. Let's start at the VistaPE project for which I have attached the log file.

This is an Acer laptop, Travelmate 2480 running Windows Vista with all the available updates. I did create a folder on the hdd and copied all the contents of the Windows install DVD. I then set the path in Winbuilder to point to that for my Windows source files. Just using the hdd for the install. Both the Winbuilder folder and the Vista install DVD file folder are on the directory C:\.

CPU is Celeron M 410. Winbuilder is 075 Beta 5.

After I verified that all the files in the project downloaded, I clicked on Play. The log file is very short because it didn't run very long before it halted.

Thanks,

John

Attached Files

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

This is my first time trying Winbuilder.

I tried all three recommended projects (LiveXP, ReactOS, and Vista PE). Only the ReactOS was successul.

Hi John, welcome in our community.

It is disappointing in the first trial to have such unsuccess.

May I inspite of that ask you to try the nativeEx_barebone_075 in my signature.

If that fails, too, there is something strange with your host, which is unknown until now and we have to find.

If that works, that is the first step to 'upgrade' to LiveXP.

(LiveXP is one of the 'doing some work' nativeEx based projects; nativeEx_barebone_075 is a minimized nativeEx project w/o productive apps etc.)

Peter

#3 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:39 PM

It's looking for the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FltMgr\DisplayName. Can you open regedit and verify that that key does not exist? If it does not, it looks like a bug in VistaPE.

#4 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

It's looking for the registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FltMgr\DisplayName. Can you open regedit and verify that that key does not exist? If it does not, it looks like a bug in VistaPE.

I had this problem 2 days ago and installing WAIK fixed it as the script then used imagex and skipped the part of the script where it looks for another tool.

this had me frustrated for a day or 2 because it worked fine with just a vista source dvd, then I installed WAIK (just for fun) did a few builds and uninstalled it and it started throwing the error. reinstalled WAIK and now its working.

anybody else get the similar results?

#5 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:40 AM

Thanks Jon. That's correct. The key does not exist. Under FltMgr the only folder is Enum.

#6 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 03 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

well both imagex and the wimtool need a driver to do their job, the missing reg key normally means the driver is not installed corectly...

you should be able to fix this with "wimutilexe Install". wimutil should be in you tools folder...

Only do this when not using waik...

BTW: what windows version do you use (64 or 32 bit) and under vista, did you disable useraccouncontrol and did you start as WB Administrator?

#7 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:09 AM

Hi John, welcome in our community.

It is disappointing in the first trial to have such unsuccess.

May I inspite of that ask you to try the nativeEx_barebone_075 in my signature.

If that fails, too, there is something strange with your host, which is unknown until now and we have to find.

If that works, that is the first step to 'upgrade' to LiveXP.

(LiveXP is one of the 'doing some work' nativeEx based projects; nativeEx_barebone_075 is a minimized nativeEx project w/o productive apps etc.)

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Regarding the host, I am actually trying two separate computers to get this running. The desktop is a Celeron 430 running XP with all current updates.

The curious thing is that when I tried the Vista install again on the desktop, it had exactly the same halt on the FltLdr missing key that happened on the laptop. Checking regedit, it also confirms that the item does not exist in my registry.

So trying your barebones install, it also failed on both computers. I'm attaching the log files. Hmm... seems I didn't get one from the desktop, but I have two from the laptop. I forgot about the Run as Admin feature in Vista, so the second one was run as admin.

The good news is that after the LiveXP project failed on the desktop, I ran it again on the laptop, and I was able to get a good LiveXP CD.

The next problem is that the computer I need to work with has a monitor that is limited to 800x600, but the LiveXP CD is setup at 1024x768. Hoping to avoid the mess of moving monitors around, is there a way to setup LiveXP to boot into 800x600? ReactOS boots at 800x600, but it does not behave very well, and it's usefulness is limited (the ISO is only 64MB).

Thanks,

John

Attached Files

#8 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:21 AM

Seems my second barebones log file was too large to send together with the first, so here it is here.

Interesting thing is that it cannot execute Vbox. There is no Vbox directory on my hard drive. The curious thing is that the other boot projects tried to run virtually, but they ran under QEMU.

Well, it seems I am at my attachment space limit, so we won't get to look at this one...

#9 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 04 October 2008 - 04:36 AM

The good news is that after the LiveXP project failed on the desktop, I ran it again on the laptop, and I was able to get a good LiveXP CD.

Choose your desired default resolution on the SetResolution script.

Regards,
Galapo.

#10 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

I had this problem 2 days ago and installing WAIK fixed it as the script then used imagex and skipped the part of the script where it looks for another tool.

this had me frustrated for a day or 2 because it worked fine with just a vista source dvd, then I installed WAIK (just for fun) did a few builds and uninstalled it and it started throwing the error. reinstalled WAIK and now its working.

anybody else get the similar results?

Thanks for the heads up. I went with the wimutil install instead with took care of this issue.

#11 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

well both imagex and the wimtool need a driver to do their job, the missing reg key normally means the driver is not installed corectly...

you should be able to fix this with "wimutilexe Install". wimutil should be in you tools folder...

Only do this when not using waik...

BTW: what windows version do you use (64 or 32 bit) and under vista, did you disable useraccouncontrol and did you start as WB Administrator?

Thanks. The wimutil install got me past that point. The next WB run got me quite deep into the script, appearing to be nearly finished when it gave me this halt error:

[Failed] FileCopy - Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Temp\VistaPE-Core\InstallWimSrc\Windows\System32\en-US\ADSLDPC.dll.mui] to: [ "%BaseDir%\Target\VistaPE-Core\Windows\System32\en-US"]
[Warning] Halt

This is quite curious because checking the source directory, the file does exist for it to be copied, and checking the target directory, the file actually was copied and appears in the target directory, so I have no idea why it reports that it failed to copy.

Both computers are running 32 bit windows. Thanks for the reminder on starting as admin. I had forgotten this feature of vista, but have been running as admin since your reminder. UAC is also disabled on the vista machine.

Both computers now get this same program halt.

#12 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

Choose your desired default resolution on the SetResolution script.

Regards,
Galapo.

Hi Galapo. Thanks for the tip.

I didn't quite understand the script syntax, but I noticed some prompts for user inputs, so I looked at the boot screen again and saw the offer to press CTRL SHIFT L in case of black screen, so trying that, I found it toggles the screen back to 640 x 480, and from there I can use Properties to reset to 800x600.

Now that I am in the target machine, the network card is not detected, so I need to investigate a little further to see if the driver support in LiveXP is inadequate or if I have a hardware problem.

Thanks.

#13 by_rom

by_rom

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:56 AM

Hello here!

My system is Vista ultimate SP1 32 bit,uac disabled,admin rights, my source is content from dvd Vista ultimate SP1 32 bit. Used with wb075 beta5.
Got similar failure:
[Failed] RegRead - Failed to read specified key from: [HKLM]Section: [SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WimFltr] Key: [DisplayName] to variable:: [%RegName%]
and unfortunately executing wimutil.exe not help me to pass this error.
Posted Image
unable to upload log file here by unknow reason,but it is similar to posted by jkolak.

log.file

#14 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

you did start "wimutil.exe Install" ?

You did start the winbuilder.exe with right klick and "run as admin"? Just to be sure?

#15 by_rom

by_rom

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

Thanks I'll try to run wimutil.exe install via command promt.

#16 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:43 AM

there was a typo: wimutil.exe Install

#17 by_rom

by_rom

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:01 PM

2ctmag

Many thanks!

start - run wimutil.exe Install ..... Working for me -)))

#18 pecd.net

pecd.net

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 947 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 November 2008 - 04:10 PM

thanks for your reply...

#19 JohnK

JohnK

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

In my case I thought about the system returning an error about the file not being copied when the file had indeed been copied.

So I decided to unclick Halt on Errors so the script would continue to run.

It then returned a LOT of additional errors, but these seemed to deal with the failure to install Virtual Box for testing the ISO. Perhaps my edition of Windows doesn't have it.

But the good news is that the resulting ISO works great, actually better than the Live XP. Live XP doesn't recognize my network adaptor, but Vista PE is working great and I was able to run all the tests I needed.

Thanks to all for the support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users