#1 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

When I boot VistaPE from an internal SATA CDROM Drive everything works fine. However if I try and boot from an external USB CDROM Drive I get the dreaded blue screen of death, with the error:-

Stop: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any ideas?

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi,

When I boot VistaPE from an internal SATA CDROM Drive everything works fine. However if I try and boot from an external USB CDROM Drive I get the dreaded blue screen of death, with the error:-

Stop: 0x0000007B (0x80399BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any ideas?

Hi lills1, I only know how to solve this issue with LiveXP but may be similar to VistaPE?? See these links to help you get started in the wonderful world of USB booting :huh:
here, here and here. Also here, good luck! :huh:

#3 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

Hi lills1, I only know how to solve this issue with LiveXP but may be similar to VistaPE?? See these links to help you get started in the wonderful world of USB booting :huh:
here, here and here. Also here, good luck! :huh:

Hi amalux,

Many thanks for those links. It looks like it is not going to be straight forward. I think most of the posts relate to USB pen drives and HDDs rather than CDROMs. I wonder if the same applys to any USB device?

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

I wonder if the same applys to any USB device?

It may, or it may not.

0x0000007b means "inaccessible boot device", and is generally due to a missing or incorrectly loaded driver.

It is typical of ANY USB device, when the "protected mode" part of the booting "kicks in".

If it is an external USB case containing a ATAPI/IDE device, the USB part can be the only cause of the STOP.

If it is an external USB case containing a SATA device, it can be due to either the USB part or to the SATA part, though I would bet on the USB one.

Since external USB connected SATA drives are not common, I presume that you have an ATAPI/IDE, thus the references amalux gave should be "valid" in your case too.

jaclaz

#5 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:40 PM

It may, or it may not.

0x0000007b means "inaccessible boot device", and is generally due to a missing or incorrectly loaded driver.

It is typical of ANY USB device, when the "protected mode" part of the booting "kicks in".

If it is an external USB case containing a ATAPI/IDE device, the USB part can be the only cause of the STOP.

If it is an external USB case containing a SATA device, it can be due to either the USB part or to the SATA part, though I would bet on the USB one.

Since external USB connected SATA drives are not common, I presume that you have an ATAPI/IDE, thus the references amalux gave should be "valid" in your case too.

jaclaz

Thanks for the info jaclaz.

Looking at some of the links that amalux gave, one guy did have some success, but I think this was with XP:-

He used a modified NTDETECT.COM which had some "checks" on the booting device removed. So it allows to boot from devices which a "normal" NTDETECT.COM would "classify" as "inaccessible".

Would you know what the Vista equivilent of NTDETECT.COM is, and whether we could apply the same kind of fix?

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:10 PM

He used a modified NTDETECT.COM which had some "checks" on the booting device removed. So it allows to boot from devices which a "normal" NTDETECT.COM would "classify" as "inaccessible".

Would you know what the Vista equivilent of NTDETECT.COM is, and whether we could apply the same kind of fix?

The modified NTDETECT.COM was actually "devised" to take care of "normal" NTDETECT.COM with "strange" BIOSes, Vista should be more "USB friendly".

First thing I would try would be a VistaPE on USB stick or HD, if it works, the stop 0x0000007b is not due to initial part of booting but by the (wrong) loading of some driver.

jaclaz

#7 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

The modified NTDETECT.COM was actually "devised" to take care of "normal" NTDETECT.COM with "strange" BIOSes, Vista should be more "USB friendly".

First thing I would try would be a VistaPE on USB stick or HD, if it works, the stop 0x0000007b is not due to initial part of booting but by the (wrong) loading of some driver.

jaclaz

I managed to get VistaPE to boot from a USB HDD with no problems. Interestingly when booting form the external USB CDROM is does work for a short amount of time. I get the bootloader screen (Black screen with blue streaks). It appears to BSOD just before it should show the desktop of VistaPE. I made sure in 03-base-files.script and 04-additional.script that any lines that were including inf files were not remmed out, so that all possible drivers are included.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

It could then be a driver that auto-starts and expects a writable volume?:confused1:

jaclaz

#9 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:24 PM

It could then be a driver that auto-starts and expects a writable volume?:confused1:

jaclaz

Interesting... I wonder if I need to use something like QSoft Ramdisk to get around this problem. I will give it a go.

#10 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

I tried using the ramdisk but still no joy. It looks like I have hit a brick wall with this one :-(

#11 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

I have found a Microsoft article at the following site which has a hotfix for exactly the problem I am getting:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839210

Unfortunately this looks like a Windows XP hotfix, does anyone know if a similar Vista hotfix exists which I could apply to VistaPE?

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:39 PM

I have found a Microsoft article at the following site which has a hotfix for exactly the problem I am getting:-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839210

Unfortunately this looks like a Windows XP hotfix, does anyone know if a similar Vista hotfix exists which I could apply to VistaPE?

How can we assist you?

How 'bout letting me download the the patch without jumping through hoops :confused1:

Wish I had a USB CD-drive to test, maybe I can 'jury rig' one from an old drive and adapter, we'll see. Itmt, let us know if you get this working :cheers:

#13 lills1

lills1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

How can we assist you?

How 'bout letting me download the the patch without jumping through hoops :cheers:

Wish I had a USB CD-drive to test, maybe I can 'jury rig' one from an old drive and adapter, we'll see. Itmt, let us know if you get this working :confused1:

Just for info, I can boot an orignal Vista SP1 DVD from the external USB CDROM drive with no problems. I would guess that there is something I need to grab something from inside the \sources\boot.wim from the Vista SP1 DVD, I am not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users