Delete posts

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

As known, there are currently several load issues with our servers.

Sometimes it happens that
  • You get an error when storing a reply
  • Try it again and again
  • If you have success, you have your reply several times
Usually I can delete (because I have some more rights than 'standard members')
But in the latest case, in the WinBuildr Group I cannot, because I do not have the right.

Would it be possible that EVERY member can delete a post HE / SHE wrote in ANY group?

Peter

#2 sanbarrow

sanbarrow

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

Consider the user deletes the first post of a thread - what happens ?

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Eighter the first post disappears or nothing, since he doesn't have the right to delete whole threads.

:huh:

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:01 PM

Sanbarrow

Consider the user deletes the first post of a thread - what happens ?

no delete option to user in first post, this is in other turkish forum site i write.
here is a picture to summerize
Posted Image

Would it be possible that EVERY member can delete a post HE / SHE wrote in ANY group?

i agree, :huh: :huh: :)

at least it can will cure half of the problem which will help a alot.

Sometimes worse happen, you click "add reply", and error screen comes and you lost what you wrote (when back dont work sometimes), considering i write mostly long it is a headache.

for now, to avoid these kind of issues you wrote, before clickin "add reply" i always ctrl+a & ctrl+c , if i get error, i paste it to a notepad and check before posting again. I had this kind of issue before in other forum sites, ctrl+a & ctrl+c became a habit to me even i dont feel i do :)

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:53 PM

Do you know that we do have a shiny new section where this sort of thing can be discussed? :huh:

http://www.boot-land...s/?showforum=75

I modified the board settings to allow members to delete their replies but kept the restriction that no member is allowed to delete it's own discussion topic (as it would also delete the posts made by other members on the same topic)

.script developers and other moderators can do these actions as necessary.

#6 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Nuno,

Thanks a lot :huh:

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

I modified the board settings to allow members to delete their replies but kept the restriction that no member is allowed to delete it's own discussion topic (as it would also delete the posts made by other members on the same topic)

.script developers and other moderators can do these actions as necessary.

Maybe there is something wrong in the implementation.
I cannot delete MY duplicated post #478 in the WinBuilder beta topic.

Peter

#8 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

FIXED - script developers were not assigned as moderators on the winbuilder section (only assigned as moderators on sub-sections)

#9 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

I have, as often happens, to completely disagree on this. :huh:

Exception made for Admins and "SuperMods" (since a large number of members are anyway "Mods"), deleting a post should NOT be allowed, NOT even editing it, after a reasonable time, say a few hours (to correct typos or double posts).

There has been a recent example on 911CD where member Mustang yes, the guy who did wonderful things with plugins, but also thanks to the support and help provided by 911CD members, and who later decided to SELL his plugins :), started deleting ALL his previous posts, thus not only subtracting information from the Public Domain, but also making other people posts in those threads appear senseless.

A (very minor but) similar thing happened here a few weeks ago, when someone abused of his powers to delete his own posts in a thread that I reported as having been carried on in a nasty way, breaking Rule #12 mainly.

Since I am a smart guy :huh: I always make a hard copy of a thread before editing ANYTHING (unless it is a very minor thing), to be able to revert the thread should the OP forward a complaint and this should be found to be justified.

I have no problems in extending the Admin or "SuperMod" status to a limited number of members, but leaving "everyone in power" is, as I see it, senseless, and can cause more damage than you can imagine.

Admins, and Mods, are there for a reason, PM's feature is there for a reason, if you have problems, PM an Admin or Mod, hopefully the problem will be solved quickly.

jaclaz

#10 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

Jaclaz is quite right - I do have the same 911cd episode quite recent in memory.

But we don't have an history of "bad" members behaviors - only some rare and occasional episodes that were quickly solved.

Now I'm puzzled about what do do next.. :huh:

On the other hand - server issues are indeed getting more rare these days.

----------

Do all parts on this discussion agree that posts delete feature should be restricted due to the mentioned reasons?

Please let me know, thanks.

#11 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

Decisions, always decisions....

This sophisticated, semi-probabilistic, method may help you (as it helped a lot of people already, most recently economists and decision makers at the U.S. Fed, Lehman Brothers, AIG and Merryl Lynch) :huh::
Posted Image

Either that, or they hired a consultant:
Posted Image

This moral based method has also it's estimators, though:
Posted Image

The ONLY important thing is that any policy is backed up by sound reasons:
Posted Image

jaclaz

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

I have, as often happens, to completely disagree on this. :huh:

Jaclaz!

After reading your post, I have a different opinion than at the time I created the topic.

You are right!

(I usually trust on the good side in a human, and I could not imagine events like you mentioned)

I would like to delete my topic but I cannot (?) or do not feel allowed to do ... :)

Peter

EDIT:

I still can do edit, and so I do as the simpler way :huh:

Is it possible to disallow delete of text in EDIT mode, only strike-through?
And maybe mark inserted text in any way?

Peter

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

Decisions, always decisions....

This sophisticated, semi-probabilistic, method may help you (as it helped a lot of people already, most recently economists and decision makers at the U.S. Fed, Lehman Brothers, AIG and Merryl Lynch) :huh: :
Posted Image

That's a good suggestion!

But unfortunatelly I cannot use it, because (I'm living in Germany) I do not have any US cent coin available1!

Peter :huh:

#14 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

That's a good suggestion!

But unfortunatelly I cannot use it, because (I'm living in Germany) I do not have any US cent coin available!

Peter :huh:

For a few Euros, I could sell you this :) :
Posted Image

On the hidden faces, there are respectively ja, nein, vielleicht.

I also make a "Latin" version with Sì, No, vedremo and Sì, No, mañana. :)

The one I actually use is a far more sophisticated model :) :
http://farm1.static....pg?v=1153981563

If you do not have ANY money, you can print this:
http://farm1.static....77e6df7.jpg?v=0
and use pebbles, beans, whatever. :)

jaclaz

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

Serious again:

In my joke about the US coin I had a typo which I corrected.

And I've been able to correct the typo in the quote in Jaclaz's post, too!

That should really not be possible!

Peter

#16 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:22 PM

Jaclaz, you've certainly gave a good couple of reasons for a sound laugh.. :huh:

I might be interested in ordering the latin version of your decision dice along with your world-class-famous crystal ball.

--

Since all involved parts agree, I'll start working on the permissions accordingly.

#17 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 21 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

On 911cd forums I went to edit the first post of the OfflineSysPrep thread so as to update version changes and whatnot as I had been doing for the last year or so ... and to my surpise found that I was no longer permitted to do so! It was rather surprising, but after PM the admin I was told the story Jaclaz referred to above. Thankfully, I was granted rights (I guess, based on past behaviour etc.) to edit my posts, even after the 10 days. I think I would have been quite annoyed if the answer had been "no" and that keeping version information, download links, etc current in the first post could not be done anymore and that the only way of keeping such information current would be to add another post in the thread to make an alteration. So I see benefit in allowing (at least some) members the ability to edit posts.

Regards,
Galapo.

#18 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2008 - 01:03 PM

So I see benefit in allowing (at least some) members the ability to edit posts.

Yep. :huh:

I have no problems in extending the Admin or "SuperMod" status to a limited number of members, but leaving "everyone in power" is, as I see it, senseless, and can cause more damage than you can imagine.

jaclaz

#19 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:02 PM

a rookie idea to find a midway:
can server make a backup of existing message if user click edit or delete, since edit and delete are not used very much i hope this wont make problem with servers storage.
and maybe
if delete is clicked, checking the content of previos post, if same no need backup. etc
so giving some powers to everyone wont harm others....

So I see benefit in allowing (at least some) members the ability to edit posts.

if changes are made not to use edit for normal user, i hope i can be one of this members that gives permission to edit as i use edit very much :huh:

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

And here we go again, the old discussion between the chickens and the lions. Is security more important or freedom? :)
I hate chickens! :huh:

On a slightly different topic.
Has anyone ever spend any thoughts on the problem of waste disposal around here? i.e. cleaning up
From all the posts that are made here, only the smallest number contain information worth keeping.
Most exchange eighter information of a non technical nature, also known as off topics, or about short lived problems and bugs.
Though both kinds of posts are vital to the functioning of this community, none has any value in the long run.

Topics dealing with problems and bugs should be deleted after the bug is squashed or in case of a general problem replaced by a single post explaining the fix.
Informations are no good if they're burried under a pile of 'garbage'. Or to put it differently, who in their right mind keeps their needles in a heystack?

#21 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:52 PM

And here we go again, the old discussion between the chickens and the lions.

Wasn't the old discussion about sheep and lions?:
http://forums.xkcd.c...php?f=3&t=26794

Or sheep, wolves and cabbage?:
http://www.learn4goo...ep_and_wolf.htm

Or lions and calfs?:
http://www.brainyquo...oody_allen.html

The lion and the calf shall lie down together but the calf won't get much sleep.

Or lions and gazelles?:

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

jaclaz

#22 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:03 PM

Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Seems who ever thought of this didn't watch much animal documentaries as a kid. Else he/she would have known that lions hunt by a different strategy.
The female lions chase the prey to the male lion, who kills it. No need to be faster than the gazelle or run at all, if your a male lion! :huh:

And to show off a bit. Gepards hunt in the described way. :huh:

:)

#23 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

Wasn't the old discussion about sheep and lions?:
http://forums.xkcd.c...php?f=3&t=26794

How can something like that start such a discussion, when the solution is so easy.
Or did i miss the point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users