Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

The virtech site is looking better and better, I'll send you the details to log into our server to perform your optimizations.

Nuno: I did take a short outdoor break, but I'm now ready for installation here on the operational server whenever you are. However, if you sent those details, I did not get them. Also, if you want me to test with the IP Board v2.3.5 update on my own server first, I'll need you to provide a copy of the unmodified IPB software download package.

#27 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:05 AM

Welcome back!

I've sent an email with everything you requested.

Whenever you're ready we can announce the expected date for upgrading the board software so that other members are aware of the site maintenance.

:huh:

#28 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:43 AM

Thanks. Got it. All 8.18 MB! It's a good thing that I run my own mail server. :huh:

Unless we run into an unexpected problem during the IPB v2.3.5 tests, in which case I'll post an immediate message here, we should be all set by the end of this weekend. Maybe Monday would be the best day for making the actual changes. I don't anticipate any problems, but it's usually quieter on Mondays than it is during the high-traffic weekend periods.

I'll upload all of the new files right away and, if you want me to go ahead with implementation immediately, I can do that right away too. Otherwise, I'll hold off making any changes to this site's configuration until then.

#29 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

UPDATE: Everything went so smootly with the IPB v2.3.5 upgrade on the test platform that I went ahead with installing the page header and footer templates here, including the site navigation menu in the header. I was not able to install the "Widgets" however. It wouldn't allow me to run the Widgets_Setup script that adds the needed items the IP Board's database. Maybe that will require you to use your root admin access.

I'm not sure what all you want in the nav menu. There's a lot more that could be added, but I left it with just a few basic items until I get some feedback. BTW, in addition to image links, it can also launch pop-up windows using popupPage(sPage,sName,sParms). That might be handy for certain user help items.

I didn't touch the Boot Land home page. To be honest, I don't really know how that mkportal stuff works and I didn't want to take any chances on messing it up by adding the header and footer that are now being used everywhere else. If you want to point me to the file that it uses as its template, I'll give it my best shot, but it might be safer if you do it.

#30 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

The skin is mixed and fuzzy, is all well? :huh:

#31 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Mixed and fuzzy? What have you been drinking? :huh:

If you're serious, you'll have to be a little more specific. It looks okay to me using both IE and Firefox. Anyhow, it's very simple to change back. Just rename the new class_display.php file to something else. Then rename OLD_class_display.php to class_display.php and all the newly inserted <% BOOTLAND_**** %> tags will then be ignored as having no str_replace() values. So everything will be exactly as it was before.

I got your email and I re-tried the Widgets_Setup installer, but it still tells me that I don't have access. It's weird, because the IP Board ACP lets me do everything else without any problem with ONE exception. It won't let me edit my own profile: "Admin CP Message -- You are not permitted to edit root administrators." I guess you are the only one who can run the Widgets installer script.

#32 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:06 PM

Yes, I've cleared up the cache on Firefox and even tried with Opera that outputted even worser results since the menu didn't even displayed right.

I've taken some screenshots

Firefox with clean cache
Posted Image

Opera
Posted Image

#33 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:36 PM

Good grief!!! That IS bad. And very strange since no similar problem was reported on the http://bootland.virtech.org/forums/ test site and no one else has reported it here either. To me, Firefox looks like this:
Posted Image
And MSIE looks like this:
Posted Image

I guess the only thing to do for the time being is to change it back to the way it was until we can figure out why this board is behaving so differently for you than the test set-up was. I've done that for now.

#34 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Really strange indeed.

I thought it could also be related to the my member settings but even logged out the site would still error out the skin.

Maybe we can retry on sunday.

You should also have the needed permissions to run the widget script, have you chmod the file to 777 before trying to run it? :huh:

On windows it's not necessary but unix machines can cause this sort of error messages since they are not allowed to be accessed by admins without having the permissions set up explicitly.

This can be done on the FTP client using the right click menu (filezilla, smartFTP)

#35 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:08 AM

Try as I might, I cannot see any obvious reason for the strange behaviour on this board. I will try again overnight so that you can check things out again Sunday AM and let me know. This time, as a testing measure, I will import one or more of the plain vanilla skins from the test site (probably the "Pro" skin which is closest to "Webber") to use as the temporary default here. That should tell us whether the problem is in the new nav menu add-on, or in a conflict with some other skin mod that was made previously here.

The Widgets still won't allow me to run its set-up script despite any CHMOD changes. I can only conclude that it's just a peculiarity in that installer script that demands the original root admin's user ID to run it, or some such quirk. It gave me no such problem running on my own server. Other than your running it yourself, the only other solution I can think of would be for me to intall and use phpMyAdmin to modify the IP Board's dB tables manually as required.

#36 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:14 AM

NUNO: THE NON-DEFAULT SKIN YOU WERE LOOKING AT YESTERDAY WAS BROKEN EVEN BEFORE THE NAV MENU BAR WAS ADDED TO IT!!! That old Nexus skin problem you reported had nothing whatever to do with anything that I've been doing, but I've fixed it anyhow. And I removed another broken skin that was impossible to fix because it used image files that weren't installed on the server at all. Your comments led me to think that something I had done or changed that same day had created the problem as something entirely new. Were you unaware of that situation previously?

In any case, I have imported two "virgin" skins with only the navigation menu bar added and no other mods at all. I have not changed this site's own "Webber" skin as the default, but I have added both "Webber (Import)" and "IP.Board Pro (Import)" to the available skin options which any logged-in user should be able to select for trial purposes. The user skin selector is on the left side of the board's footer just above the site footer.

Please test both of those imported skins and tell me if you see any problems in either one. We know that both of them have been working properly on the testing platform. Or, at least, we know that no one has reported a problem with any aspect of their appearance or functionality there at any time during the testing period. So, if they don't work properly here, the source of the problem has to be found in some other configuration issue on this board.

For me, both of the imported skins appear to be working fine in both of my MSIE and Firefox browsers. But I'd appreciate hearing from users of other browsers.

User feedback, PLEASE!

#37 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

The Widgets still won't allow me to run its set-up script despite any CHMOD changes. I can only conclude that it's just a peculiarity in that installer script that demands the original root admin's user ID to run it, or some such quirk. It gave me no such problem running on my own server. Other than your running it yourself, the only other solution I can think of would be for me to intall and use phpMyAdmin to modify the IP Board's dB tables manually as required.

I've run it and is now installed.

You should be able to continue with the implementation.

NUNO: THE NON-DEFAULT SKIN YOU WERE LOOKING AT YESTERDAY WAS BROKEN EVEN BEFORE THE NAV MENU BAR WAS ADDED TO IT!!! That old Nexus skin problem you reported had nothing whatever to do with anything that I've been doing, but I've fixed it anyhow. And I removed another broken skin that was impossible to fix because it used image files that weren't installed on the server at all. Your comments led me to think that something I had done or changed that same day had created the problem as something entirely new. Were you unaware of that situation previously?

When I visited the forums, the skin was all mixed up exactly as I've posted - it had became the default skin overnight for some reason.

The obsolete skins can be removed, just beware to keep the old nexus one as it contains the "Thanks" button along with the other buttons that were customized for this particular skin. Would also be wise to keep the ip.pro, webber and old IPB style skin.

By default it would be nice to default onto the Nexus skin as it was before the server optimization along with the "thanks" button tweak on each topic and the remaining IPB customizations ("Members who visited forum today" and "Members who viewed topic today" and statcounter script on the page header)

------

At the moment I don't see the top menu much of a priority as it might confuse people until we begin working on other sections outside the forum.

If there is anything else you need please let me know! :huh:

#38 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2008 - 01:54 PM

I've run it and is now installed.

Okay, thanks.

When I visited the forums, the skin was all mixed up exactly as I've posted - it had became the default skin overnight for some reason.

The Nexus skin certainly wasn't my selection and I didn't change the board default skin setting, but I'm not saying that Nexus wasn't precisely as you posted. That skin definitely was messed up when I did select it afterward to look at.

I am saying, however, that the problem wasn't anything new. It was not caused by the nav menu mod, nor by anything else that was done overnight. The problem existed because the logostrip in that skin had been surrounded by unbalanced HTML comment tags which is certainly not something that I inserted into it at any time. You can see the --> tag beside the logo in the image that you captured. All of my overnight additions were <% *** %> tags as previously documented.

In any case, all of them, both old and new, are okay now, aren't they? That's what I really want to know from you and others.

At the moment I don't see the top menu much of a priority ...

:huh: Hmmmmm....

#39 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

In any case, all of them, both old and new, are okay now, aren't they? That's what I really want to know from you and others.

Yes, it's looking good both on FF and Opera under linux.

---

Only a minor detail regarding the "members visited forum today" on the main index page where the respective title text is no longer displayed right but this is not important at the moment and can be fixed later.

btw: I've re-registered on the bootland.virtech test forum since the account had been deleted, please promote it again to admin.

#40 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

I don't see any account for you there anymore. Did you delete yourself?

Oh wait. It's back there now.

What happened? The test post that psc made also disappeared. That's too weird!

#41 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

I thought you had deleted the SQL database and started a fresh new install since there was only a single member registered.. :huh:

----

Also notice that you're already playing with the widgets but the "Recommended" box is appearing on top of topics rather than on the left side, are you also viewing this?

#42 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

I thought you had deleted the SQL database and started a fresh new install since there was only a single member registered.. :huh:

Ahhh, yes. I remember now that I did a "fresh start" install for IPB v2.3.5 on the test site. It seemed like a good way to be sure that the documentation I provided here for the new mods was complete enough for anyone doing a completely new install.

Also notice that you're already playing with the widgets but the "Recommended" box is appearing on top of topics rather than on the left side, are you also viewing this? :huh:

I've been playing only with those two "virgin" skins that I imported. I'm not touching the board's original "Webber" default skin at all, until I'm sure that everything is working perfectly with those two new imports. I want to be certain that the new widgets that I "invented" don't do anything unanticipated. For example, as mentioned earlier, some of them need to test their functional environment to ensure that the required methods are available within their current operating framework in order to avoid fatal errors.

So I've been focussed on funtionality over appearance so far. But, apart from a few transient appearance glitches requiring minor adjustments, all seems to be working well and we're getting quite close to a final "fully polished" implementation -- if you'll allow those glitches to remain visible in the non-default skins long enough for me to discover and fix them, that is. Then you can chose whichever skin you want as the board default. If you want to go back to Nexus, that will be entirely up to you. I'm just trying to provide some useful tools that can facilitate your future site administration and maintenance -- whatever your decisions may be.*

At the moment, however, I'm having a problem getting any FTP connection at all on your server. :)

__
* P.S. I see that you have now added another skin and have re-restricted the users' trial choices. And I also see that you've inserted more HTML comment tags into at least one of my new non-default skins that I'm working on. Doing that will definitely cause display problems for you as well as for me and will, of course, affect any helpful feedback we might possibly hope to get here from other users who may also notice things that we both miss.

Maybe you could hold off making any more changes until I'm finished the intial set-up. It's very difficult to keep track of what I'm doing and the consequences of my own actions when someone else is changing things as I'm working on them. It won't take me much longer and then you can do whatever you want with all of it -- if anything.

#43 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:29 PM

So that site users are not left unaware of this situation's outcome, the following is a verbatim copy of my reply to Nuno's email response to my message here above:
__

Well, Nuno, I've tried my best to be polite about it, but having received your email response, my only possible answer has to be no. I cannot help any more in the circumstances where what I'm trying to do to help the site is going to be altered by someone else while I'm in the midst of working on it.

At least equally important, I cannot help if other site users are going to be deprived completely of any ability to see and comment on what I'm trying to do for their benefit there, not even by logging in and choosing one of the site's non-default skins to examine as possible improvements.

Frankly, I really don't think that any conscientious person could be truly helpful under the conditions that seem to prevail. However, it is unquestionably your site to do with as you please. I've provided all of the tools in accordance with your original request and a lot more besides that haven't been implemented yet. In the circumstances, it must now be left up to you to do whatever you want with them -- or not.

Sorry, but there are certain principles and ethics that govern all of my decisions and actions. It's nothing personal.

To avoid any possible licensing issues or other conflicts, I shall remove completely and forthwith the test installation at http://virtech.org/bootland/ .

The best of good luck to all concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users