Electric Scooter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:31 AM

Here is something refreshing to find - an electric powered scooter to drive around the city.

There was a store promoting electric bikes and scooters, I did a test drive and got addicted to this scooter really fast.

Got one myself this week and decided to take some pictures to let other know these sort of things exist.

It goes to a max of 40 Km/h (~25Mph) to a tested range of 20km (~14Miles).

Takes 4~8 hours to charge and going up hill will quickly drain away the battery, on my case a full battery lasts just enough to get onto my workplace (10Kms away from home all the way up a mountain) where I can also charge back the batteries as necessary during the daytime.

I like it a lot and it is great to move around without being dependent on gasoline or dirt up the environment.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The rest of the photo gallery is here - http://nunobrito.eu/.....ctric Scooter

Also, a short clip
IxRA3rqmmnI

Will this sort of alternatives replace gasoline powered motor bikes one day? :huh:

Hope you like the pics.

:huh:

#2 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

Nuno's gone all :huh: & Environmentally friendly,

I've always been told that water & Electrics do not mix, Have you driven it in the rain yet & had a shock? LOL!

Also how far would you get with the Mrs on the back (Tandem)? Also keep an eye on the electric bills, I recently had to use a disabled scooter to get around & Gee I noticed my bills went up, take a look at the electric meter before & whilst it is charging let us know the results, don't tell the Mrs though she will make you take it back :) .

Advantages are quiet, you can do drive by's & grab old ladies handbags as you pass will help to pay for the electric, whatever will they think of next? A few days ago we had the Momentous big Bang now we have Nuno Screaming @ light speed around the local neighborhood, make sure you do not collide with other road users or you will experience what a big bang is like 1st hand :) or :huh:

Toys for the boys I want 1, but I think I want 1 in a Harley Davidson format just for the kewl factor & the chance to wear a helmet with Two horns sticking out LOL!

ENJOY!

ispy

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:17 AM

Always nice reading your replies, guess I've always had an environmental rib that sometimes tends to surface.. :huh:

On my house I only use recycled paper with recycled toners and the oil from our fries is also disposed using the proper ways.

I've always been told that water & Electrics do not mix, Have you driven it in the rain yet & had a shock? LOL!

I bought a good rain coat (the azorean weather is a bit like the UK) and already made some travels, the scooter is water proof tested - no shocks here. :huh:

Also how far would you get with the Mrs on the back (Tandem)? Also keep an eye on the electric bills, I recently had to use a disabled scooter to get around & Gee I noticed my bills went up, take a look at the electric meter before & whilst it is charging let us know the results, don't tell the Mrs though she will make you take it back

I can't convince my wife to take a ride unless it has at least 4 wheels. I was kind of surprised when she allowed this acquisition without putting up a good fight, I should have suspected something was wrong - now I constantly do all the shopping of the things she needs around the house and whenever I complain about something being over expensive she swiftly replies back: "well.. you did bought that scooter last week, didn't you?" :) :)

Advantages are quiet, you can do drive by's & grab old ladies handbags as you pass will help to pay for the electric, whatever will they think of next?

Now why would I do such a thing to old ladies? :)

The electric bill doesn't worry me much, electricity is cheap around here and I can always charge the batteries with no expense at my workplace because nobody minds.. :)

A few days ago we had the Momentous big Bang now we have Nuno Screaming @ light speed around the local neighborhood, make sure you do not collide with other road users or you will experience what a big bang is like 1st hand

Let's hope not, but I'll try to get this on film if it happens some day.

Toys for the boys I want 1, but I think I want 1 in a Harley Davidson format just for the kewl factor & the chance to wear a helmet with Two horns sticking out LOL!

This would be worth a picture! :)

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

I can't convince my wife to take a ride unless it has at least 4 wheels.

Get a bike with a big roaring engine and she will see things differently! :huh:

whenever I complain about something being over expensive she swiftly replies back: "well.. you did bought that scooter last week, didn't you?" :) :huh:

Answer that that's the reason you can't afford the other stuff! :)

:)

#5 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:46 PM

Hi MedEvil :huh: ,

Nuno could put some stabilizers on the back, then he would have four wheels, but somehow he would some street cred!

R&R,

ispy :huh:

#6 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

Get a bike with a big roaring engine and she will see things differently!

Yes, you're right.. :huh:

Nuno could put some stabilizers on the back, then he would have four wheels, but somehow he would some street cred!

My range of expertise isn't related to mechanic stuff, I wouldn't even imagine how to do such action unless the scooter came somehow equipped with a USB port and I was able to start up the machine with some decent boot disk.. :)

I'm however quite impressed with these gadgets propelled by electricity and already began looking for some 4 wheeled options.

http://www.globalsou...ems_per_page=60
http://vehicles.manu...ic-Scooters.htm

But I'll surely have to wait until next year before venturing into any further things of this sort.

Still, it's nice to dream on a bit for the day when can batteries finally rule the world of motor vehicles.

Some cool looking machines:
http://www.evworld.c...cfm?storyid=913
http://www.evworld.c...type=conversion
http://www.electroau...ry/vw-air.shtml
http://www.brokenham...ess/?page_id=14

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Yes, you're right.. :huh:

I know, i speak out of experience. :)

On the other hand, just watched your video and have to say, even i would wait a while longer before riding with you. :)

Still, it's nice to dream on a bit for the day when can batteries finally rule the world of motor vehicles.

Battery powered vehicles already rule, if it comes to acceleration races (10sec races).
The biggest draw back of any battery against fuel, is that recharging a battery always takes much longer than the usage-time is, while refueling takes far shorter than the usage-time.

If i could pull over at the next 'Electricity Station' and they would swap out my empty batteries, againt a full pack in a matter of 3-5 minutes, at a cost not higher than an equal amount of energy would cost me in fuel, i would consider getting one too. But there's no such thing anywhere in the world.

Thinking about it, i would probably only get one for one of my girls and wait till a sports model comes out. :)

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

On the other hand, just watched your video and have to say, even i would wait a while longer before riding with you

Battery powered vehicles already rule, if it comes to acceleration races (10sec races).

Yes, very fast startup that's even odd. It beats any other motor bike on the semaphores but then it's exactly as you mention at 40~45Km/h.

The biggest draw back of any battery against fuel, is that recharging a battery always takes much longer than the usage-time is, while refueling takes far shorter than the usage-time.

No hope for this annoyance on the meanwhile. Guess we'll have to wait for batteries that can be charged under 10 minutes.

I've stumbled on a manufacturer from the US that mentioned that this is already possible, let's see if within some years is can become mainstream.

#9 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:32 PM

Saw a tiny little car-thing in one of your links:
http://vehicles.manu...ic-Scooters.htm

Although I'd live in constant fear of being crushed under all the trucks and SUVs here in the states I want one!

I've been trying to go battery powered at my place. Luggable battery packs for the laptop. LED lights for the kitchen and living room. Even went battery powered on the bedside fan and alarm clock. Sadly, solar panels just don't get enough light here :huh:

#10 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:37 PM

Although I'd live in constant fear of being crushed under all the trucks and SUVs here in the states I want one!

These are good news.

I've asked the price to an Asian retailer the other day, the car costs around 5000 USD (3520 EUR), I've bargained down to 3500 USD (2470 EUR) but for them to accept this price I'd have to buy 9 units to get the discount - good business for a local retailer but I'm not interested.

Oh well.. maybe I get one from MedEvil one day - he's got a good eye for business so I'll wait for his store to open doors on ebay.. :huh:

Even went battery powered on the bedside fan and alarm clock.

Nice thought, I use the clock alarm at the cell phone which also has a good LED light capable of lighting up a room at night when needed.

-------

Here in Portugal the gasoline gallon (3.78 liters) costs around 7.31 USD (1.35€ per liter) so I only visit the gas station once a week and never fill it with more than 10€ and funny enough that I've visited the scooter store yesterday and they had already sold all 20 available electric scooters in less than two weeks.

The store owner said that he already ordered a bigger shipment next time, they're selling these things really fast around here.

#11 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

:huh: Time to learn to "Pop a Wheelie". It will impress the wife. :huh:

how to wheelie
ovFSahIPaVQ

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

Be careful, did one of those with my moped when i was a 'kid'.
Didn't went over well with my girlfriend, when she ended up with her behind on the street! :huh:

#13 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:12 AM

I dont think youre suppose to have another person in the bike when trying this. Lol!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users