#1 stormy1954

stormy1954
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:16 AM

Your help would be appreciated.

I am in the process of creating a boot DVD from the hidden recovery partition on an Acer Veriton PC (Vista Home Premium 32bit).

The recovery option was not accessible on booting the PC (I have tried all keyboard combinations!) so I decided to create a DVD to recover the system now and , if needed, in the future.

I have successfully gained access to the partition and the files.

I am now stuck at the last hurdle. I am using Nero 8 to burn a BootDVD. However, the partition is approximately 7GB in size and won't fit on a single DVD. I can't see how to use Nero to split the partition on to 2 DVDs.

I could buy a Dual Layer DVD but I like the challenge!.

Can you advise if (and how) Nero can be used to do this or can you recommend a (Windows) program that will permit the creation of a boot DVD which can be split on to 2 disks such that there will be a prompt for insertion of the second disk at the appropriate time?

Many thanks

Stormy1954

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

Pardon me, but as I see it you are missing a logical step:
What makes you think that (hypothetically) burning a hidden recovery partition to a (hypothetical) 7 Gb DVD with Nero 8 will actually:
1) produce a bootable DVD
2) produce a bootable DVD that actually boots
3) produce a bootable DVD that actually boots and that can be used as recovery
:whistling:

In other words:

What are the contents of the hidden partition?
Which OS/PE it uses?

Please (once unhidden) say the partition is mounted as E:\, open a command prompt and run:
DIR /S E:\>C:\dirlist.txt

And attach to your next post the dirlist.txt file.

jaclaz

P.S.: At least on older models, the key combination was ALT+F10 and it was "dependent" on a "custom" MBR, any chance that the MBR has been overwritten by a "standard" one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users