Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:17 AM

Posted Image

LXP is a desktop enviroment identical to Windows XP. LXP is a collection of different pieces of GNU software (icewm, xfe, idesk, etc) modified in order to look and feel identical to Windows XP. LXP has its own new themes for icewm: first the pixmap themes, WinXP-Blue, WinXP-Olive, WinXP-Silver. Then the plain no-pixmap themes, WinXP-Plain-Blue, WinXP-Plain-Olive, WinXP-Plain-Silver.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LookXP supports different desktops:
Fedora 3,4,5,6 & Suse 10.x, ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu and debian.

If you are interested you can take a look at the SourceForge project here:
http://lxp.sourceforge.net/

Download:
http://lxp.sourcefor...t/download.html

NOTE-idea:
LXP & Remastersys tools can be used together to make distributable livecd/dvd
(K)Ubuntu enviroment (Distro) identical to Windows XP.
Look: http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4936

#2 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hi Mikorist :whistling: ,

As you are probably gather from my line of questioning I know very little about linux systems! I have always been too scared to try it out, if you cannot unwrap it shove it into CD Rom Set it to 1 of the initial Boot Devices on a clean bootable partition, I would avoid it. Does that mean I am a lazy good for nothing Windows user, YES! Guilty as charged

However, an opportunity may soon prevail, the wife's P.C. is slowly grinding to a halt with a stuffed up XP OS installed I have made many attempts at repair but its at the point of needing a reformat, she tends to surf a lot looking for bargains & frequents the "Martins Money site + Tesco's etc. I have recently bought a new PC which I have not used yet!

My plan is to give her the new PC (only draw back Vista installed) then "O" so very carefully acquire her old XP PC, give with one hand & very carefully take with the other. I have just downloaded Ubuntu Desktop & Server & have committed them to CD disks.

Next I'm going to wipe XP off the PC & install Ubuntu, with this information additional skinning details you have supplied here.

You mention it is for a distro will it install if Ubuntu is installed on a bootable drive? Is it fairly straight forward, the installation of Ubuntu or are there things that need to be done to prepare e.g. what about drivers etc, is there an Nlite for linux maybe to slipstream stuff?

Anyway many thanks for the information its very beneficial to me!

Regards & Respect,

ispy ;)

#3 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:48 AM

You mention it is for a distro will it install if Ubuntu is installed on a bootable drive? Is it fairly straight forward, the installation of Ubuntu or are there things that need to be done to prepare e.g. what about drivers etc, is there an Nlite for linux maybe to slipstream stuff?

Nlite for linux is Remastersys ;)

Yes..., my idea is that i make (K)Ubuntu enviroment (Distro) identical to Windows XP.

With Remastersys tool you can "slipstream" anything into the installation of Ubuntu.

Programs, drivers, themes etc.

The resulting iso can also be installed on a USB pendrive, creating a Live USB distro,
using either a command-line.

Live CD/DVD created from a system with installed proprietary ATI or Nvidia drivers, when booted,
will not load these drivers because casper (the ubuntu Live CD boot routine) disables ati and nvidia proprietary drivers.

But...

you can "slipstream" EnvyNG which will
detect the model of your graphic card (only ATI and Nvidia cards are supported)
and install the appropriate driver.

#4 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

Agian, many thanks I have my work cut out then, although I am thinking more in terms of a hard drive installation rather than a "Distro"

;) Matey

ispy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users