Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

Good day, folks.

Just needed to know what networking scripts/configs are necessary to set up LiveXP for basic Ethernet connectivity without any other tools/features ;o)

Simply put, I want to auto-detect the network at boot; and be able to connect to the web through OffByOne without any fuss...

Thanks!

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

Good day, folks.

Just needed to know what networking scripts/configs are necessary to set up LiveXP for basic Ethernet connectivity without any other tools/features ;o)

Simply put, I want to auto-detect the network at boot; and be able to connect to the web through OffByOne without any fuss...

Thanks!

That depends what kind of PE you want to use
  • If you want to boot into an emulator, you need the emulator's NIC driver (contained in LivePE project recommended)
  • If you want to boot from a CD on the system where you created the PE, during build you have to copy the current host's driver into the PE. You can use myNIC to generate 'your personal NIC' script
  • If you want to boot from a CD on any system, during boot you have to copy the current host's driver into the PE. You can use hostNic.script (contained in LiveXP complete) to prepare this task.
In all of the three cases you need additional PENetwork.Script (contained in LiveXP recommende)

#3 seems to be waht you want.

Peter

#3 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

@psc:

Thanks for the info!

I think I understand (and, yes, #3 is what I need ;o).

So, what I have done with the build is:

• Selected "PENetwork" under Apps > Network. All default settings are in place.
  • Under Drivers > Network, I have selected "hostNIC" ONLY; and may now remove all other selections from the build.
Is this correct?

Thank you again . . .

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:00 PM

@psc:

Thanks for the info!

I think I understand (and, yes, #3 is what I need ;o).

So, what I have done with the build is:

• Selected "PENetwork" under Apps > Network. All default settings are in place.
  • Under Drivers > Network, I have selected "hostNIC" ONLY; and may now remove all other selections from the build.
Is this correct?

Thank you again . . .

As far as I see 'in my mind' this is correct.
(But I do not know the PENetwork default settings. Maybe you look at them with some 'intelligence')

Good luck!

Peter

#5 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:54 PM

Squid:

look at penetwork settings with some 'intelligence' ---means---> there is "add drivers from this directory" setting there. I missed that in my first days of livexp too :whistling:

also you can use hostnic to gain more mobility, and using search in bootland leads to nice answers ;) ;)

#6 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 September 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thank you both for the input.

I'll give it a try; and see what happens :whistling:

#7 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Good day.

My first query concerning proper setup/configuration for basic Ethernet with LiveXP was created here.

Now that I have those recommended settings in place for my build, I wind up with a "No network cards detected" error from the PENetwork script when it has executed after boot.

Any suggestions? Is there another checkbox lurking out there somewhere which'll allow successful NIC detection?

Thanks!

#8 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Good day.

Well, after a number of no-comment "drive-bys" from the community at my previous post, I decided to dig a bit and see if there was any way to hotwire some network connectivity into LiveXP.

I proceeded in accord with info taken from one of psc's old hostNIC postings; http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=25402 --

There has been a trial of Amalux, to use myNic.exe inside a PE here. That's really senceless.
Introduced by Amalux's trial, there has been a 'crazy idea' of MedEvil, to 'steel' drivers from the host here
Introduced by both, there has been a developer (me) to finish the team's work:

The result is a new hostNIC.Script. :huh:
You can download it from the nativeEx server.

To test:

* Remove all NIC (including emulator) drivers from your project
* Make your PE drive writable (BootSDI or FBWF)
* Build the project, hostNIC.Script included
* Burn a CD (cannot be tested in emulator because of missing host HDDs)
* Start the CD
o It will give an error message by PENetwork, that there is no network card
o Start Programs > nativeEx > hostNIC
o If necessary, change the default WinDir to your host's conditions
(If you see your driver's description in the topmost scroll box, do not change anything)
o Click 'Install'
o Run PENetwork
It will find your host's NIC and you have network connection!

I think that the same or similar procederes can be used for different (SATA, USB, ...) drivers.
I'll work on this.

As a result, like Nuno already posted, it may be possible, that with a minimum preinstalled drivers, you can access 'every host'. :)

Thanks to Amalux and MedEvil :huh:

Peter

Two separate (and entirely different) machines were used for the succeeding test.

Both booted to the build CD normally; bearing the usual complaint from PENetwork stating that it "will be exit now" (grammar?).

Anyway, I ran the hostNIC applet directly on both machines from their respective start menus. Both attempts to install the network drivers for the LiveXP session failed IDENTICALLY.

Here's the first machine's hostNIC log:

Version 1.1.0
Using inf file: D:\Windows\inf\netrtsnt.inf
Schedule for Copy: "D:\Windows\inf\netrtsnt.inf" to folder X:\i386\Inf\
Start section: "RTL8139.ndi"
Searching real entry sections:
Found: RTL8139.ndi
Found: RTL8139.ndi.Services
Working with section: RTL8139.ndi
Working with copy section: RTL8139.CopyFiles
Schedule for Copy: "D:\Windows\system32\drivers\RTL8139.sys" to folder "X:\i386\system32\drivers\"
Working with section: RTL8139.ndi.Services
Checking: rtsnt.Service
Schedule for Copy: "D:\Windows\system32\drivers\RTL8139.SYS" to folder "X:\i386\system32\drivers\"
Copying scheduled files ...

Now, the second machine's hostNIC log:

Version 1.1.0
Using inf file: C:\Windows\inf\oem1.inf
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\inf\oem1.inf" to folder X:\i386\Inf\
Start section: "XP_D110K.ndi"
Searching real entry sections:
Found: XP_D110K.ndi.NTx86
Found: XP_D110K.ndi.NTx86.Services
Found: XP_D110K.ndi.NTx86.CoInstallers
Working with section: XP_D110K.ndi.NTx86
Working with copy section: E100B_325.ndis5.CopyFiles
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\e100b325.sys" to folder "X:\i386\system32\drivers\"
Working with copy section: UninstallW2k.CopyFiles
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\system32\Prounstl.exe" to folder "X:\i386\system32\"
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\system32\e100b325.din" to folder "X:\i386\system32\"
Working with section: XP_D110K.ndi.NTx86.Services
Checking: e100b325.Service
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\e100b325.sys" to folder "X:\i386\system32\drivers\"
Working with section: XP_D110K.ndi.NTx86.CoInstallers
Working with copy section: CoInstaller_CopyFiles
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\system32\IntelNic.dll" to folder "X:\i386\system32\"
Schedule for Copy: "C:\Windows\system32\e100bmsg.dll" to folder "X:\i386\system32\"
Copying scheduled files ...

After the readout "Copying scheduled files ..." both attempts failed with the following message:

File access denied.

The only thing which these two machines had in common was the running copy of LiveXP and hostNIC.

What's the problem? What's the fix?

#9 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

look here
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5213

also

How to add ethernet drivers to LiveXP:
in penetwork settings with some 'intelligence' , there is "add drivers from this directory" section, where you can add your (or a set of) ethernet drivers.

and look 'Lancelot Tips' in my signature

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

What's the problem? What's the fix?

For me it looks like your boot drive (CD?) is not writable.
You must use
  • either BootSDI.script
  • or MakeISO.script with option FBWF checked
Peter

#11 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:46 AM

I have merged the three topics together.

Squid,
I appreciate very much :huh: the fact that every time you started a new topic you put a reference to the previous one, but I find it better to have not multiple "unfinished" threads related to the same topic.

As I see it, each thread should be focused on a particular topic, have a beginning (the initial request for help) and an end (hopefully the solution to the problem).

This way finding relevant info through Google or the board internal search engine is easier for other people that may have the same kind of problem.

jaclaz

#12 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

@jaclaz:

Thanks for putting this together. I do hope that what follows is of significant value to others :huh:

@Lancelot:

Thanks again for the input.

Since I'm building this disk to service any of a number of systems; a set of fixed NIC drivers won't do. hostNIC seems to be the best play for me, as Peter indicated in his post here.

So what I'm dealing with seems now to revolve around a successful implementation of hostNIC :huh:

@psc:

OK.

It would seem as though MakeISO with FBWF checked is the best option for me; as bootSDI will, as I understand it, load the whole mess into RAM. While I'd LOVE to be able to do this, some older machines simply don't have much headroom RAMwise; and such a move would, therefore, prevent full implementation of any such build across a wide population of systems.

So, after finally understanding what was needed, I went out to find a (legal) resource for the necessary fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll files to complete the build.

An aside: It could be helpful to those who are unfamiliar with LiveXP if a there was short statement when working directly with the hostNIC script at the WinBuilder UI which directs the user's attention to the fact that fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll are necessary for a successful CreateISO build operation.

Just a thought :)

Back to what I was doing . . .

At first, I Googled the BootLand forums for possible clues. All that I found was this post by psc which didn't seem to be very encouraging. I began a broader search for more recent news concerning the matter.

My diggings eventually found me over at the 911cd.net forum and a post by the resident Dalik. This particular post was key for me; as a simple Googling of "Windows XP Embedded SP2 Feature Pack 2007" eventually brought me here; directly on the MS website. The download was a simple iso file; which, after unpacking both the main file and the self-extracting cabinet, "XPEFP2007.exe", unearthed a folder called "rep" within which both fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll were found.

After transferring these to a folder at the root of my drive (and making the necessary path adjustments at the WinBuilder Finish > Create Image > Create ISO UI), the build commenced and finished normally; and without errors. The iso was successfully burnt to CD.

Boot time.

Again, two entirely different machines were tested with the LiveXP build. In both instances, bootup proceeded normally; moving through all stages until just before the desktop was fully loaded (desktop splashscreen loaded; but no shortcuts or taskbar).

The result: BSOD on both machines.

On that point, I have spent the past several minutes in the frustrating effort of trying to attach the two stop error images (yes, I photographed the two monitor screens for the community); but, despite the fact that we're dealing with pics which are under 300Kb each, I am unable to find space on the server for them (!!!)

So, before we can go on here, please advise as to how this upload can be properly accomplished...

Thanks again --

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

My diggings eventually found me over at the 911cd.net forum and a post by the resident Dalik. This particular post was key for me; as a simple Googling of "Windows XP Embedded SP2 Feature Pack 2007" eventually brought me here; directly on the MS website. The download was a simple iso file; which, after unpacking both the main file and the self-extracting cabinet, "XPEFP2007.exe", unearthed a folder called "rep" within which both fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll were found.

This is a great finding: FBWF w/o 'Connect' membership!.
You should post it on 'WebSites'

Boot time.

Again, two entirely different machines were tested with the LiveXP build. In both instances, bootup proceeded normally; moving through all stages until just before the desktop was fully loaded (desktop splashscreen loaded; but no shortcuts or taskbar).

We should discuss your situation a bit more in detail.
With this procedure I never have had some issues. (PE build from XP SP2 German).
I'm sure we can find the reason why your PE is different.

Peter

#14 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

Boot time.

similar things happened to me before, but i cant say the reason of your case,
can you try this:
1) download X11-03905.iso (google-->microsoft link can be found easly)
2) For create iso script
2a) find the required (from 2k3sp1) setupldr.bin and ramdisk.sys (already in X11-03905.iso) and put them in a folder
2b) show that folder to creato iso script, so after that in creato.iso script enable "Add win2k3 sp1 setupldr.bin and ramdisk.sys"
3) enable "driver import pe", just enable, you dont have to use it, use hostNIC in livexp as you like it more.
4) disable "automatically start pe network..." in penetwork script
5) show content of X11-03905.iso as source
make the build

Here is my creatoiso script settings
http://img162.images...70/snap1se5.png
Here is my penetwork setting
http://img393.images...67/snap2ye7.png

when using livexp, first use hostnic (or other) for ethernet driver adding
than start penetwork.

I hope this helps. (some steps may be unneccassary but wont harm, i wrote all in my mind)

Since I'm building this disk to service any of a number of systems; a set of fixed NIC drivers won't do. hostNIC seems to be the best play for me, as Peter indicated in his post here.

I guess you dont read carelfully, you are missin sth, first read than shoot , not the opposite :huh:

#15 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

@psc:

Thank you, Peter. I am glad to have found this resource, too :huh:

We should discuss your situation a bit more in detail.

In that spirit (to get the ball rolling, so to speak), could you or someone please help with the problem which I am having in getting the server to accept my screenshots?

2 X 300Kb shouldn't be too much to ask here . . .

Thanks again :huh:

#16 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

.. the server to accept my screenshots?

2 X 300Kb shouldn't be too much to ask here . . .

try to use http://imageshack.us/ as i did in my previous post :huh:

#17 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:44 PM

@Lancelot:

Thanks, as always, for the input.

I guess you dont read carelfully, you are missin sth, first read than shoot , not the opposite

I don't think that's entirely fair, as this whole topic is generally confusing to the uninitiated. I'm simply following the pathway which I've been able to glean from several resources (including yours) here.

In addition, the whole hostNIC/PENetwork/CreateISO matter is not as straightforward as it seems to be in the default build.

As I said earlier,

It could be helpful to those who are unfamiliar with LiveXP if a there was short statement when working directly with the hostNIC script at the WinBuilder UI which directs the user's attention to the fact that fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll are necessary for a successful CreateISO build operation.

Something like this would allow for a continuous flow-through of the already great WinBuilder UI concept into the networking issue which I've been wrangling with here; possibly eliminating some confusion along the way...

Anyway, if I get the gist the rest of your current post, I need to forget about my copy of XP SP2 and work instead from the Windows Server 2003 R2 trial? Please help if I don't understand something here...

Thanks, also, for the link to ImageShack. Is there some problem with the BootLand server these days???

:huh:

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:18 PM

Is there some problem with the BootLand server these days???

'Some' is a nice description, but really it is (or hopefully has been) BIG

Peter

#19 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
    *Helping people,

•  
    Turkey

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

Something like this would allow for a continuous flow-through of the already great WinBuilder UI concept into the networking issue which I've been wrangling with here; possibly eliminating some confusion along the way

problem is mostly, MS files are not distrubutable, and for the ones who want to enable extra features, they should get files from MS.

Also it takes time to understand how/what to do with a new utility. I am sure in a week you will be very good to know what is what.

Also there are some info on boot-land which are distributted through. Maybe a tutorial for "create iso + fbwf + penetwork" will be nice for new users. Why dont you write one in tutorial section :) after success.

to make a starting point for a new user and to make my bootland finding in one place i made "Lancelot Tips" where there are info by/for me and by others. As i am new it still need some addings like a tutorial "create iso + fbwf + penetwork" from you i hope :huh: . ( i learned x11-03905.iso about 2 days ago :>)

In addition, the whole hostNIC/PENetwork/CreateISO matter is not as straightforward as it seems to be in the default build.

except hostnic, Penetwork and createiso can be used without adding anyfile to default build as described before.
maybe for hostnic Peter would like to ad a [Verify] section and a notice in gui of hostnic (as in driver import pe). (i guess hostnic need fbwf or bootsdi too?)
and as you point out, making hostnic selected in default build is bad for a starter, thanks, i will let galapo know :huh:

Anyway, if I get the gist the rest of your current post, I need to forget about my copy of XP SP2 and work instead from the Windows Server 2003 R2 trial? Please help if I don't understand something here...

i mostly use xpsp2 with adding required files, but highly probably using X11-03905.iso (which is 2k3sp1 trial) will help you to get rid of the problems (which i dont understand exactly why you had) you are facing with. maybe after success with using source as X11-03905.iso you can go back to try xpsp2 as source if you want to use xpsp2 more.

Thanks, also, for the link to ImageShack. Is there some problem with the BootLand server these days???

I agree 'Some' is a nice description, but not only these days. When bootland works it works nice with minor things, but when some problem occur on connection than it is better to wait for a while :).
ps: copy the message you wrote before clicking "add reply" button when posting messages :)

#20 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thanks, folks, for the info. You contribute much to this forum, Lancelot :huh:

@psc:

I have uploaded the screenshots for the community (whew). Please let me know if there are any useful clues in here!

See attached . . .

Attached Thumbnails

• MainSys.jpg
  • TestSys.jpg

#21 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

My diggings eventually found me over at the 911cd.net forum and a post by the resident Dalik.

:)

Oh, I see. :huh:, you are talking about d4vr0s, who is (or actually pretends to be :huh:) a Dalek:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek

His real problem is that he thinks to be on the "right" side:
http://www.911cd.net...o...16508&st=14

jaclaz

P.S.: The 0x00000044 BSOD is a known problem, though not as frequent as other ones.
Generally speaking it is caused by a defective hardware (kernel) driver, usually "connected" to either the USB bus or NIC, in some cases to both:
http://www.theelderg...?showtopic=6794
http://forums.techgu...0x00000044.html

#22 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:45 PM

@jaclaz:

Dalek

Forgive my ignorance of proper "Who" spellings: I must've slept through that part of life . . .

Oh, I see. :huh: , you are talking about d4vr0s, who is (or actually pretends to be ;)wink.gif ) a Dalek:

In his defense, aren't we all pretenders at one level or another? :huh:

But seriously,

A defective hardware driver? Clean systems on both ends with no history of BSODs.

This is only a problem under LiveXP's influence (again, on both machines?!).

Where should I go from here? I've already tried two clean builds -- Both are zappo; and there was no problem whatsoever before I included fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll in the build...

#23 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

But seriously,

A defective hardware driver? Clean systems on both ends with no history of BSODs.

This is only a problem under LiveXP's influence (again, on both machines?!).

Yes seriously, driver problem!
But not on your computers, but inside LiveXP!
Are you by any chance using FBWF?

:huh:

#24 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:20 AM

Where should I go from here? I've already tried two clean builds -- Both are zappo; and there was no problem whatsoever before I included fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll in the build...

What version of fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll do you have? I'm using 2.0.965.0 without BSOD.

Thanks,
Galapo.

#25 Squid

Squid

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:21 AM

@MedEvil:

Yep. Both fbwf.sys and fbwflib.dll in the build . . .

Is the problem how these files are working with LiveXP; or are these files themselves the culprit???

@Galapo:

Working with version 2.00.1024.0

Would you be interested in trying them out on your build?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users