Photo

Blow-by-Blow guide run 98SE in XP (QEMU)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

Hi all :whistling: ,

Todays lesson is a retrospective look at Windows 98SE but with a difference, it will be running from within your existing winXP system, (Qemu is involved in the process).

"Rubbish! it cannot be done!"

Well I beg to differ, yes it can & the attachment below is a pictorial representation of just how you can, using for the most part free gui interface utils, the tutorial is a HTML file which you will need to unpack the entire contents to a suitable location on your hard drive then click on the "Install Win98SE inside XP with QtEmu.htm". If you try to run the html file from within the zipped archive errors will occur!

By the way I do not know if this same procedure will work with others members of the 9X family like ME or 95a/b but it could well do so!

That in fact can be your homework project, try it as an experiment & report back with your findings. (LOL!) Also don't worry for the most part, Gui interface utilities are used!

Here endeth the lesson ENJOY!

Regards & Respect,

ispy ;)

Slight amendmant the link to the win98Boot.img seems to be broken, here is the zipped file, simply unpack & place in path or as per details of the html tutorial.

One other thing I forgot to mention is you will need a 98SE CD with Suitable product key, obviously!

Attached Files

#2 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

Hi all :whistling: ,

That in fact can be your homework project, try it as an experiment & report back with your findings. (LOL!) Also don't worry for the most part, Gui interface utilities are used!

Here's a clue/guide to other 9X installations into Qemu
http://www.msfn.org/...ies-t61389.html
Also all things Qemu:
http://www.vmcasting.org/wiki/Qemu/
There homework task partly completed!

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy ;)

#3 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:58 PM

ispy,
I understand how titles need to be "sensational" to attract the most attention, and I am not asking you to change the title to "How to use Qemu under XP to run windows 98 in a VM machine" ;), but some reference to Qemu or to Virtual Machine or to VM in the title would be appreciated, I had a fit reading:

run 98SE in XP

;)

If it was intentional, you got me....:whistling:

jaclaz

#4 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

Hi Jaclaz ;) ,

Not smart enough for that Jaclaz ;) , even with (QEMU) tagged on the main title just out of view within the main Forum window, (its not viewable after "98SE") & that is intentional, many thanks!

Can you now delete your post you are giving the game away LOL!

Regards & Respect,

ispy :whistling:

It's often what you don't say, that raises or elevates ones curiosity

#5 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:10 AM

Just scanned the tutorial. Very good and detailed. Never heard of QtEmu. Nice Gui!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users