#1 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

gOS (either Green OS or Good OS, depending on what you read) takes a different approach from most general-purpose Linux distributions. It uses the Enlightenment desktop environment instead of the usual KDE or Gnome. In addition to the usual productivity applications (OpenOffice, the Gimp, Web browser, email, and so forth) it comes with a raft of Google apps, such as Gmail, News, Calendar, Docs, and Maps.

Posted Image

So you could use it as an Internet thin client, storing your documents on Box.net, never bother with local storage of your documents or email at all, and always have access to them anywhere you find an Internet-connected computer. It also comes with a Skype client, and links to Facebook, Meebo, Blogger, Box.net, and YouTube.
gOS comes on the usual LiveCD, with an easy hard-drive installation from the LiveCD. There are also VMWare editions for Windows and Mac. Enlightenment doesn't need big horsepowers, nothing exciting about either one; it was easy as pie, as all Linux installations are these days.

Download

:whistling:

Mikorist

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:32 AM

http://thinkgos.com/new/index.php

Seems to be in beta. Looks very good.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:24 AM

I already had heard some people calling it the "google OS" because of all the google apps and starting with gOS.

For me, this sounds a really good option anyways. Simple, already comes with most apps people use on daily browsing tasks and looks quite modern.

Good suggestion Mikorist! :whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users