#1 zeeshan anwar

zeeshan anwar
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

Hi olof,
Can you please share with us the code to create ImDisk installer executable? i.e. imdiskinst.exe?

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi olof,
Can you please share with us the code to create ImDisk installer executable? i.e. imdiskinst.exe?

It is a self-extracting 7-zip archive, http://www.7-zip.org

It could be built using the following commands (can be found in the Makefile, paths modified):
7z a imdisk.7z -m0=LZMA:a=2 readme.txt gpl.txt cli\i386\imdisk.exe cpl\i386\imdisk.cpl svc\i386\imdsksvc.exe sys\i386\imdisk.sys imdisk.inf

copy /y /b 7zSD.sfx + 7zSDcfg.txt + imdisk.7z imdiskinst.exe
The file 7zSD.sfx is the 7-zip self-extraction module.

#3 zeeshan anwar

zeeshan anwar
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

Thanks Olof,

The file 7zSD.sfx is the 7-zip self-extraction module.

I am not able to locate 7zSD.sfx in 7-Zip installation directory. Where should I look for it?

#4 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:11 AM

Thanks Olof,

I am not able to locate 7zSD.sfx in 7-Zip installation directory. Where should I look for it?

Download the archive called 7z Library, SFXs for installers, Plugin for FAR Manager from 7-zip download page. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

#5 zeeshan anwar

zeeshan anwar
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hi Olof,

I am getting an error dialog for "installation error" at the end of ImDisk installation. I have followed these steps:

1- I installed ImDisk.
2- I mounted a vritual hard disk file image and unmounted it.
3- I uninstalled ImDisk from my PC.
4- Now when I try to install ImDisk again, I get this error dialog at the end of installation process.

It is interesting that I am able to use imdisk even with this installation error. Please find attached a screen shot of this error dialog.

Attached Thumbnails

• installation_error.JPG

#6 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

I have seen that message box on a few machines before, but then IIRC only NT 4 or possibly Windows 2000. I can't remember right now if I found the reason for it, but it must have something to do with any of the lesser important instructions in the .inf file because it seem to always work anyway.

#7 zeeshan anwar

zeeshan anwar
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

I have seen that message box on a few machines before, but then IIRC only NT 4 or possibly Windows 2000. I can't remember right now if I found the reason for it, but it must have something to do with any of the lesser important instructions in the .inf file because it seem to always work anyway.

I am using Windows XP machine. Is there a way to get log of ImDisk installation? This will be helpful to identify the rogue step in .inf file.

#8 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

The installation uses the InstallHinfSection API: http://msdn.microsof...y/aa376957.aspx

This is a very simplified setup API and as far as I know there is no logging functionality in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users