steelbone

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 126 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:55 AM

Hi guys,

I'am using in my company a big VC Farm with a lot of esx servers. but the only thing where is not really documented and i think the feature is missed by vmware : how could we easily backup+restore the Esx host himself. (everything is available, backup vm's, virtualising Apps, HA, but backup Host himself,... ;( )

i tried out to backup only /etc (so there is sysconfig + vmware folder available with all the configs)

but if i reinstall the crashed server and restore the /etc so i'have an UUID Missmatch and root is not mountable, so the Red Hat Kernel will not boot up.

so guys may here are a lot of knowledge for this Topic, tipps , tricks, possibillitys :cheers:

would be glad for a lot of entrys :cheers:

Regards

Steelbone

#2 sanbarrow

sanbarrow

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

Hi
I wonder which settings you would like to restore ?
A fresh setup of ESX can be done so fast that I hardly see any use in making a backup.
Have you asked this at VMTN already ?

Ulli

#3 steelbone

steelbone

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 126 posts
  •  
    Austria

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

Hi :cheers:

Which settings i like to restore? Hmm that's easy to explain.

All the Firewall, Virtual Network (VSwitches,VPort, Nic reservation, Consolen-Software.......) all this settings would take for me a long time to integrate after an fresh installation ;(

we have a lot of Port groups, a lot of firewall settings, Hardware Monitoring Agents,......... ;(

so in the moment i see few poss... edit the original esx. Iso for integrating all my Settings. so i install with all settings.

or installing, and then having a script which applys the newest settings.

but i liked to ask here too because here i think is a also a lot of knowledge and the whole world is using this forum :cheers: May there are a lot of different tipps :cheers:

Regards

Steelbone

#4 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Never found anything that would do it easily.
Most is stored in /etc, so always the advice was to backup this directory

sebus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users