Which script sets up shortcuts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:20 PM

I intentionally use the same title as a yesterday posted question.
I want to explain the background here.

The reason to explain is Galapo's answer:
That is done by '4 - BuildModel.Script'.
That is simultaniously right and wrong.

Before explaining, let me tell you some details about the buildModel idea:

As known, nativeEx based projects like LiveXP have to handle the situation that the scripts want to write something likes shortcuts into the final PE.
But the scripts during execution do not know, whether the final PE target is e.g. 'Documents and settings\startup\...' or 'Dokumente und Einstellungen\Start Menu' or, depending on your sourse CD whatelse.

Therefore buildModel uses an 'universal' folder $BuildModel where all entries are made. This folder (containing the right language dependent folder names) is during ISO create compressed into an self extracting exe which is expanded during PE boot.

Now to the original question:

buildModel does not know whether the target shell will be Explorer, or A43, or 'myexplorer'.

Therefore buildModel does not create any shortcut.

Inside the project the choosen shell Explorer, or A43, or 'myexplorer' inserts his script as %ActiveShell% into the project's variable list and simultaniously defines a section [Add-Shortcut]

Now back to 'how a shortcut is created'

If you want to create a shortcut, the request is going to buildModel.
buildModel builds an intermediate file ????.shc, which contains all information to create this shortcut.
Then buildModel calls the [Add-Shortcut] of %ActiveShell% which builds his individual shortcut from ????.shc

This method guarantees that in every case the 'shortcut syntax' is valid for the final PE shell.

As I'm not a good teacher, I know that there are still a lot of open questions.

Maybe Amalux, Ispy ... translate this file into English which can be understood by n00bs.

No problem for me if you edit this post to a status I do not remember as my child ...

Peter

#2 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:03 PM

for me at least your explanation (mostly) reads well ..

maby an example (a n00b proof one) could become a 'Rosetta Stone'
to help bridgeing translational gap between the perceived tec/n00b divide

#3 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hi Peter,

BuildModel is only used by pre-api scripts, correct? Is there a use for it in the future as you see it?

I loved BuildModel and found it very easy to understand intuitively but have had to learn the new api (not so intuitive) and was planning a tutorial for writing scripts with it. What do you think?

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 August 2008 - 04:36 PM

BuildModel is only used by pre-api scripts, correct? Is there a use for it in the future as you see it?

No, wrong! :cheers:

The API of nativeEx based projects transforms the simple 'add-shortcut' into buildModel syntax and then uses buildModel. :cheers:

Peter

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:45 PM

No, wrong! :cheers:

The API of nativeEx based projects transforms the simple 'add-shortcut' into buildModel syntax and then uses buildModel. :cheers:

Peter

So, an alternative to api? What are the advantages, disadvantages to using the api?

Sorry, I know their both api, what term can we use to define the different approaches?

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

So, an alternative to api? What are the advantages, disadvantages to using the api?

Sorry, I know their both api, what term can we use to define the different approaches?

I think that Nuno or Pedro can that better explain than me ...

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users