6 replies to this topic

#1 roamer_1

roamer_1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

Let me begin by offering my hearty congratulations to everyone involved with Winbuilder and the LiveXP project! LiveXP is my first foray into Winbuilder, and I find it to be light years beyond my former BART disk.

Which brings me to my question:

Most of my utilities are on a usb stick which is accessed by an autorun menu, which is in turn fired by a little gizmo called autoplay.exe.

Autoplay.exe is a FREE cd autorun html menu tool, and can be found here: http://www.autorun.info/ as HTMLAutoplay by Matt Weagle (w/ source available). What it does is takes the place of .hta style files, allowing a titled and sized window, and allows lauching of executables through special commands with data for those commands stored in the cd's autorun.inf. **Note** This was (and sometimes still is) on CD, but for this application, resides in a subfolder on my USB thumb, and works fine in any WIN from 9x-Vista

When fired from within LiveXP the following security alert is displayed:

"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" w/ an [ Ok ] button.

Autoplay.exe is then allowed to draw the window, but my index.html is not displayed. To be certain it wasn't a problem w/ the thumb, I pulled the relevant files (autoplay.exe, autorun.inf, and my CDMenu folder) into a temp folder on the LiveXP desktop, but still no joy. LiveXP prevents Autoplay.exe from displaying html.

This little menu is of vital importance to me. Any information would be appreciated.

TIA.

Bruce

#2 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

I'm not sure what may be happening. But as a start, try disabling any browsers you may have selected in the project (eg Opera), rebuild, and test.

Thanks,
Galapo.

#3 roamer_1

roamer_1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:08 AM

I'm not sure what may be happening. But as a start, try disabling any browsers you may have selected in the project (eg Opera), rebuild, and test.

Will do, and report back tomorrow- probably later in the day, though... the test benches are overflowing, as messing around with LiveXP has proved to be more pleasurable :cheers: ... But now, the unfortunate circumstance remains... baby needs new shoes, and all that :cheers:

Thank you for your quick assistance

-Bruce

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

I don't know.

The autoplay.exe inside HTMLautoplay.zip, that should be the one you are referring to, needs, as clearly stated:

HTML Autoplay

This CD autorun application uses Internet Explorer embedded in a dialog to display HTML pages. It uses a simple ini file to direct the embedded browser to the autorun homepage and uses a custom HREF protocol to handle ShellExecuteEx commands to perform things like printing, launching readmes, and executing applications. These custom HREF commands are configured and defined in the self-documented autoplay.ini file. It was developed on Win2000, VC6, SP3 and requires IE4+ on the user's machine in order to function.

Notes:
Clicking on the "Install Application" link in the included sample will generate an error, because no "Setup.exe" file is included. The link is just there to give you the idea without increasing the download size.
Internet Explorer 4 or above must be installed on end user's machine, otherwise the autorun application will fail.

Internet Explorer, or at least part of it's subsystem.

You should profile the app from within LiveXP with Dependency Walker (depends.exe) and with Process Monitor/File Monitor/Reg Monitor in order to see if you are missing any needed libraries or Registry Entries.

jaclaz

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12704 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Let me begin by offering my hearty congratulations to everyone involved with Winbuilder and the LiveXP project! LiveXP is my first foray into Winbuilder, and I find it to be light years beyond my former BART disk.

Which brings me to my question:

Most of my utilities are on a usb stick which is accessed by an autorun menu, which is in turn fired by a little gizmo called autoplay.exe.

Autoplay.exe is a FREE cd autorun html menu tool, and can be found here: http://www.autorun.info/ as HTMLAutoplay by Matt Weagle (w/ source available). What it does is takes the place of .hta style files, allowing a titled and sized window, and allows lauching of executables through special commands with data for those commands stored in the cd's autorun.inf. **Note** This was (and sometimes still is) on CD, but for this application, resides in a subfolder on my USB thumb, and works fine in any WIN from 9x-Vista

When fired from within LiveXP the following security alert is displayed:

"Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded" w/ an [ Ok ] button.

Autoplay.exe is then allowed to draw the window, but my index.html is not displayed. To be certain it wasn't a problem w/ the thumb, I pulled the relevant files (autoplay.exe, autorun.inf, and my CDMenu folder) into a temp folder on the LiveXP desktop, but still no joy. LiveXP prevents Autoplay.exe from displaying html.

This little menu is of vital importance to me. Any information would be appreciated.

TIA.

Bruce

Maybe you have a look at ExternalMediaShortcuts.Script which does a similar task. Currently it is for CD only. But if there is interest, I think that I can expand to USB stick.

Here the topic where it is introduced.

Peter

#6 roamer_1

roamer_1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

I don't know.

The autoplay.exe inside HTMLautoplay.zip, that should be the one you are referring to, needs, as clearly stated:

[...]

Internet Explorer, or at least part of it's subsystem.

You should profile the app from within LiveXP with Dependency Walker (depends.exe) and with Process Monitor/File Monitor/Reg Monitor in order to see if you are missing any needed libraries or Registry Entries.

jaclaz

I was afraid of that. :cheers: ... The easiest thing, I suppose, though I know it to be sacrilege, Does anyone have a working script to add Internet Explorer into LiveXP? I would assume IE6 sp-1 would do, as the autoplay works fine in 9x and 2k... (I can't believe I just wrote that.) :cheers:

I will run out a test with filemon, regmon, and depends, which are all onboard, and see what I need., but there will likely be a ton of squibbly registry entries if I know IE... *sigh*

Thank you, jaclaz.

-Bruce

#7 roamer_1

roamer_1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Maybe you have a look at ExternalMediaShortcuts.Script which does a similar task. Currently it is for CD only. But if there is interest, I think that I can expand to USB stick.

Peter

Hi Peter,

What a good idea! I would certainly be interested in it for other things, but not for this one- I have replaced PortableApps Menu with SmithTech's clone http://usb.smithtech...rojects/spm.php , which is highly configurable (though still in beta). That is the root menu for my USB stick, and the "cd" autoplay in the subfolder is accessible from there. SmithTech's menu also has the ability to assign the stick a certain drive letter too... I don't know how I will use that yet, but I am sure it will come in handy.

I have already written a batch to find the stick by way of an entry in it's autorun.inf, and will create shortcuts for the usb menu and the "cd" menu on the desktop and maybe in the start menu if the stick is available from startup. My inifile will be stored thereon for the penetwork configuration, as well as some regfiles to fire upon finding the usb drive available, as my system is shared between quite a few techs, and this is how I intend to be able to customize it for individual users and networks.

So if this particular stick is to be used, it is likely to be used at boot. The LiveXP itself is otherwise fairly bare bones, with only partitioning and imaging, and off-line stuff on-board to keep the image small.

Thx for your reply.

-Bruce

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users