4 replies to this topic

#1 whitenight639

whitenight639
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

Ive just successfully booted bartPE from an external 20gig HDD that used to be an mp3 player, bartPE is handy but its not what i need, I want an OS that i can use adobe programs on and office applicatyions on,

as i understand it these clever apps like liveXP all run from the RAM (is this because flash drives cannot be written to that many times?)

so my question is can i use liveXP and run adobe photoshop / office apps etc? and save files to the external HDD that im running the OS from?

your input would be VERY appreciated!!!!!

:cheers:

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

You run PE from a HDD, so it does not matter how often you write to it.

Running adobe applications inside PE is possible, but does require that you find out how.
Simply installing some adobe application does not work, since:

PE is a feature and file reduced version of XP/W2k3!!!

PS: Since BartPE are bigger than WBPE they contain more dll and are more likely to support a certain app without too much work. If BartPE is already not fullfeatured, full-dll-ed enough. A full XP install is the way to go.

#3 whitenight639

whitenight639
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

You run PE from a HDD, so it does not matter how often you write to it.

Running adobe applications inside PE is possible, but does require that you find out how.
Simply installing some adobe application does not work, since:

PE is a feature and file reduced version of XP/W2k3!!!

thanks for your reply, So is it worth my while rooting around the internet to find out how to install apps on PE or can i do it with LiveXP ??

basically im starting college in september and I want to use it to store my work and to run the above mentioned apps on pcs that might not have them eg internet cafe comps etc.

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

There are two very different ways to achive what you seem to want.
PE are good if you need a more or less complete OS to take along. Technicians usually do.

If however, you know that the computer you will be on, will have a working OS you might wanna take a look at portable applications. That are applications that are altered to run straight of a USB-Stick or USB HDD. Getting/building those is far less hussle than dealing with PE.

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

basically im starting college in september and I want to use it to store my work and to run the above mentioned apps on pcs that might not have them eg internet cafe comps etc.

I doubt that Internet Cafe's will allow you to reboot their machines to the OS on your external HD. :cheers:

What you should look at is more like a (portable) Virtual Machine or a set of portable applications.
Check here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4993
and here:
http://vbox.hubutz.d...ble-VirtualBox/

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users