I have some good news and some bad news......
BAD NEWS first
1) I am really getting old, and my memory is getting increasingly worse
2) I am still the good'ol' jerky jaclaz that is able to lose files by either misplacing, backing them up somewhere where they should not be, delete them by accident or whatever
I could not find ANYWHERE my old test images and notes!
But here are the GOOD NEWS
:I managed to directly boot Recovery Console within ramdisk(0).
This fact justifies the following peruse of the walk like an Egyptian thingy
I've tried every trick of the trade, and even some more ones, and got nothing
, until I made a "redundant" image, with files in ALL of the directories:
and got nothing
, until i did the MSDOS5.0->cmdcons trick on the bootsector of the ramdisk loaded image and guess what?SUCCESS!!
1) the bootsector of the ramdisk loaded image (a hard disk image named RCXPd.dsk in my case) must be edited MSDOS5.0->cmdcons and invoke SETUPLDR.BIN
2) Recovery Console files must be in \CMDCONS
3) ramdisk.sy_ from server 2003 SP1 must be in \CMDCONS
4) SETUPLDR.BIN and NTDETECT.COM from Server 2003 SP1 must be in ROOT
5) the WINNT.SIF must be in \CMDCONS, with just this content:
6) and here comes the clever
you need an additional \I386 directory containing:a copy of TXTSETUP.SI_
Booting of the image is done from the "main" drive or image with grub4dos with this entry:
title Ramdisk booting RC
find --set-root /RCXPd.dsk
map /RCXPd.dsk (hd31)
In the ROOT of "main" drive or image there is a WINNT.SIF with these contents (example):
BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /rdexportashd /rdimageoffset=32256 /rdpath=RCXPd.dsk"
I was tempted to use the good ol' "Fermat" approach to the demonstration of some of his theorems:http://en.wikipedia...._little_theoremhttp://en.wikipedia....;s_last_theorem
I would post the details, if I did not fear its being too long
I have a truly marvellous proof of this approach to recovery console which this screen is too narrow to contain
but though getting oldish and forgetful, I am still after all a nice guy.
1) Remove "oldish" unneeded drivers
2) Minimize TXTSETUP.SIF/TXTSETUP.SI_ from 461 Kb/74 Kb
(I made a test where TXTSETUP.SIF/TXTSETUP.SI_ were 8 Kb/3 Kb, but it needs a few betterings)
3) find a "modular" way to remove/add drivers and remove unused keyboard mappings
4) find a way to avoid the 5 seconds delay for different keyboard layout choosing
5) find the smallest possible image size and "better" filesystem for it
6) automate the whole thing via batch
7) some other semi-random ideas that may come out
Anyone willing to help for any of the above?