amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:17 AM

Hi Peter!

I'm trying to use your _TrackWBInstall script in a very simple build (w/bsdi of course) and I've got some questions. First, in the interface there are options for Program or RegSvr32, leaving RegSvr32 aside for the moment; I'm assuming the 'Program' I'm supposed to point to is located on my host machine (pointing to a program located in PE errors out in the log), so like this:
twbi_stuphd.JPG

I'm using hostDriver.exe as a test because of your instruction here in post #8, "But maybe you try nativeEx_trackWBInstall and use as 'start application' hostDriver.exe." It's not clear to me what TrackWBI does with this program, run it at startup? How does this differ from just running hostDriver in PE? Anyway, whatever it's supposed to do, it's not happening; all I get is a cryptic cmd window and a 'puzzleExplorer' Open option.
twbi_noopen.JPG

If I choose Open, I'm presented with a browse option to choose a file/program located on PE (only) - nothing I've tried works including pe.exe. If I close the window, the PC reboots to start the process over. I'm stuck :cheers:

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

Hi Peter!

I'm trying to use your _TrackWBInstall script in a very simple build (w/bsdi of course) and I've got some questions. First, in the interface there are options for Program or RegSvr32, leaving RegSvr32 aside for the moment; I'm assuming the 'Program' I'm supposed to point to is located on my host machine (pointing to a program located in PE errors out in the log), so like this:
twbi_stuphd.JPG

I'm using hostDriver.exe as a test because of your instruction here in post #8, "But maybe you try nativeEx_trackWBInstall and use as 'start application' hostDriver.exe." It's not clear to me what TrackWBI does with this program, run it at startup? How does this differ from just running hostDriver in PE? Anyway, whatever it's supposed to do, it's not happening; all I get is a cryptic cmd window and a 'puzzleExplorer' Open option.
twbi_noopen.JPG

If I choose Open, I'm presented with a browse option to choose a file/program located on PE (only) - nothing I've tried works including pe.exe. If I close the window, the PC reboots to start the process over. I'm stuck :cheers:

When I include hostDriver.exe, it works w/o errors:
amalux_1.gif
The difference is that in your output there is drive B: mentioned.
I'll try to find the reason.

Until then, please wait for the answers of the different questions.

Peter

#3 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

If you use the 'Help' button of the project, you can see besides others:
amalux_2.gif
The reboot is not nice, but currently I do not have a way to avoid. That is just 'core PE'.

Peter

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:13 PM

I updated the project on the nativeEx server.
In my signature you can find a link to a pre-packed version.

Peter

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:45 PM

I updated the project on the nativeEx server.
In my signature you can find a link to a pre-packed version.

Peter

Ran the pre-packed version as downloaded and got this error
Attached File  log.7z   31.32KB   272 downloads

I'm still experimenting but thought I'd pass this along.

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:52 PM

Ran the pre-packed version as downloaded and got this error
Attached File  log.7z   31.32KB   272 downloads

I'm still experimenting but thought I'd pass this along.

This seems to be the key:

StrFormat - converted: [%pFileBox1%] to variable: [%file%] with result: []

There seems to be no file in the filebox of trackWBInstall.
If there is contents, :cheers: ?

Peter

BTW: Please allow me that I changed the topic's title from 'Tool' to 'Project'

#7 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:51 AM

This seems to be the key:

There seems to be no file in the filebox of trackWBInstall.
If there is contents, :cheers: ?

Peter

:cheers:

TrackWBInstall works great! So does your slick nativeEx launch vehicle with its nifty pe/cmd shell!! :cheers: I really like this option for cleanly capturing registry changes in PE during driver installation and saving those changes as api compliant code ready to insert in your script. Very nice indeed but the deal killer is hostDriver, it just doesn't work that well for anything but NIC drivers (which it does exceedingly well), I've yet to find any media or video card drivers it can handle which is what's really needed. If/when this shortfall can be remedied or if other utilities can be run from TrackWBInstall in a similar fashion as hostDriver, than I think you're really on to something here. The potential is great but there are some pretty big holes to fill to finish that road.

btw, TrackWBInstall can be run over an explorer shell without issue
twbidtoppe.JPG

but I found out why you have it run from cmd shell instead, the registry gets dirtied up by all the other apps running :cheers:

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:39 AM

:cheers:

TrackWBInstall works great! So does your slick nativeEx launch vehicle with its nifty pe/cmd shell!! :cheers: I really like this option for cleanly capturing registry changes in PE during driver installation and saving those changes as api compliant code ready to insert in your script. Very nice indeed but the deal killer is hostDriver, it just doesn't work that well for anything but NIC drivers (which it does exceedingly well), I've yet to find any media or video card drivers it can handle which is what's really needed. If/when this shortfall can be remedied or if other utilities can be run from TrackWBInstall in a similar fashion as hostDriver, than I think you're really on to something here. The potential is great but there are some pretty big holes to fill to finish that road.

btw, TrackWBInstall can be run over an explorer shell without issue

but I found out why you have it run from cmd shell instead, the registry gets dirtied up by all the other apps running :cheers:

As result: trackWBInstall looks suitable. :cheers:
But there seems to be still something wrong with hostDriver.Script. :cheers:
In the download manager hostDriver is declared as beta! :cheers:

And hostDriver is not the 'native coworker' of trackWBInstall.

trackWBinstall is primarily thought to track a 'standard' setup.exe

Peter

#9 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

As result: trackWBInstall looks suitable. :cheers:
But there seems to be still something wrong with hostDriver.Script. :cheers:
In the download manager hostDriver is declared as beta! :cheers:

Understood, how can we coax it out of beta? :cheers:

And hostDriver is not the 'native coworker' of trackWBInstall.

trackWBinstall is primarily thought to track a 'standard' setup.exe

Peter

:cheers: Please explain further, I'm not sure what is meant by this correction.

---
Other news, I'm experimenting with using Driver Import PE (DrvImp script developed by Galapo and Lancelot here) as another 'coworker' in trackWBInstall to import/install drivers and capture the corresponding registry changes. Having trouble because DrvImp.exe is not a 'stand alone' app, like hostDriver, so I'm running into some dependency issues (like I had with my mother :cheers: ); I'll keep you posted on these developments if you feel it's relevant to this project.

#10 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

Other news, I'm experimenting with using Driver Import PE (DrvImp script developed by Galapo and Lancelot here) as another 'coworker' in trackWBInstall to import/install drivers and capture the corresponding registry changes. Having trouble because DrvImp.exe is not a 'stand alone' app, like hostDriver, so I'm running into some dependency issues (like I had with my mother :cheers: ); I'll keep you posted on these developments if you feel it's relevant to this project.

For example, can you see any reason for this error at boot...
vmscsi_nf.JPG

The log (no errors) shows this line:
ExtractFile - [vmscsi.sys] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\nativeEx_trackWBInstall\I386\System32\Drivers]
Attached File  log_vmscsi_nf.7z   36.42KB   255 downloads

and similar:
ExtractFile - [symmpi.sys] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\nativeEx_trackWBInstall\I386\System32\Drivers]
symmpi_nf.JPG

and a look into the target confirms the files are there :cheers:

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:13 AM

Hi Peter, I still can't get passed these errors in nativeEx but I have found a way to launch trackWBInstall from LiveXP with the option to use your cmd shell or full GUI. See here :cheers:

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

For example, can you see any reason for this error at boot...
vmscsi_nf.JPG

The log (no errors) shows this line:

ExtractFile - [vmscsi.sys] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\nativeEx_trackWBInstall\I386\System32\Drivers]
Attached File  log_vmscsi_nf.7z   36.42KB   255 downloads

and similar:
ExtractFile - [symmpi.sys] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\nativeEx_trackWBInstall\I386\System32\Drivers]
symmpi_nf.JPG

and a look into the target confirms the files are there :cheers:

I know these errors. But right now I did not find a way how to avoid / fix.
I happens e.g. tools running twice and is irreversible.

There are two ways:
# fresh download of nativeEx_trackWBInstall into an empty directory
# Delete
# Temp
# Prebuild
# Basic > Customize all scripts besides
# folder.project
# !!Customize.script
# zDependencies.Script

Peter

#13 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

Understood, no problem :cheers:

Two additional questions:

1) Is it possible to close the cmd window without forcing reboot?

More importantly,

2) Is it possible to browse to other programs to 'track' other than the one pointed to in the script dialog?

I know these options are not available now with your current setup, I'm asking if this might be possible to achieve without too much effort. Thanks Peter :cheers:

#14 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:34 PM

Understood, no problem :cheers:

Two additional questions:

1) Is it possible to close the cmd window without forcing reboot?

More importantly,

2) Is it possible to browse to other programs to 'track' other than the one pointed to in the script dialog?

I know these options are not available now with your current setup, I'm asking if this might be possible to achieve without too much effort. Thanks Peter :cheers:

#1: I have not (yet) a solution. But cmd is the shell, and if you leave the shell, you get an 'empty something' which does not know what to do ..

#2: Not directly possible because my q&d PE.exe does not have a context menu (yet).
What you can do:
Look into track.cmd and start a logically similar command
-E: program
-S: target where the snippets are written
-A: (optionally) write the snippets in API style rather than in conventional script style.

Peter

#15 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

#1: I have not (yet) a solution. But cmd is the shell, and if you leave the shell, you get an 'empty something' which does not know what to do ..

Well, the reason I'm asking is because I've setup a 'hybrid' of nativeEx cmd shell and LiveXP full GUI. It works great, you can stay in the cmd shell as long as you want, run trackWBInstall multiple times to save code snippets from different driver installs etc. Your little pe explorer now has full access to all drives on the host (not just r: and x:) etc.
twbidi.JPG

When ready, just choose explorer.exe from menu and a full LiveXP is launched (without reboot).
dtop.JPG

The cmd window and pe explorer still work fine (you can close/open pe.exe at will), you can even run track.cmd again if wanted
twbidtoppe.JPG

but you cannot close the original cmd window (" /k go.cmd") or a reboot is forced. It's not a big deal to leave this window minimized but it would be nice to close it when not needed :cheers:

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

Well, the reason I'm asking is because I've setup a 'hybrid' of nativeEx cmd shell and LiveXP full GUI. It works great, you can stay in the cmd shell as long as you want, run trackWBInstall multiple times to save code snippets from different driver installs etc. Your little pe explorer now has full access to all drives on the host (not just r: and x:) etc.

When ready, just choose explorer.exe from menu and a full LiveXP is launched (without reboot).

The cmd window and pe explorer still work fine (you can close/open pe.exe at will), you can even run track.cmd again if wanted

but you cannot close the original cmd window (" /k go.cmd") or a reboot is forced. It's not a big deal to leave this window minimized but it would be nice to close it when not needed :cheers:

You understood the price for using this tool:

Due to copied files The nativeEx_trackWBInstall PE is hold as minimized as possible. The reason is that really 'ALL' files and registry changes during installation can be catched.

If there would be a runnig explorer, maybe some items are already in the PE and are not catched as 'new'.
And also with catching one item, a lot of files are added to the PE.

Try to understand my primary idea: If you caught ONE item, be satisfied.
If you want to catch a second item, restart nativeEx_trackWBInstall

Peter

#17 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

You understood the price for using this tool:

Due to copied files The nativeEx_trackWBInstall PE is hold as minimized as possible. The reason is that really 'ALL' files and registry changes during installation can be catched.

If there would be a runnig explorer, maybe some items are already in the PE and are not catched as 'new'.
And also with catching one item, a lot of files are added to the PE.

Try to understand my primary idea: If you caught ONE item, be satisfied.
If you want to catch a second item, restart nativeEx_trackWBInstall

Peter

Hmmm, it seems we're talking past each other here; there is no explorer.exe running when you first boot into the cmd shell, only your puzzleExplorer (same as if you booted normally to nativeEx_trackWBInstall, AFAIK), only after running track.cmd to catch your registry changes (still cmd only shell); then you start explorer if wanted to do other things in a full gui shell.

You can dl a nx-lx 'hybrid' here and test it for yourself. Everything is setup, you just need to put ramdisk and setupldr in \Workbench\Common\BootSDI, set your source and run it. When it boots, try running track.cmd (Driver Import) etc. When ready, run explorer.exe from puzzleExplorer to launch GUI. Remember not to close the initial cmd window (" /k go.cmd"), even from LiveXP or you'll get a reboot.

I'm working on a 'direct comparison' test but I'm hampered by a current limitation; Driver Import won't run in nativeEx_trackWBInstall :cheers: , I get an error (German) 'Not started under BartPE'. Maybe you can work with Kare (or Galapo - he got past this error in LiveXP) to sort this out :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users