HTTP Proxy Server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:34 PM

Hi,

On my local intranet we access the internet using a server that is functioning exclusively as an HTTP proxy.

This server box is running a debian based OS (Caixa Mágica) and is pretty much a proprietary format since we can't modify anything inside which is quite unpleasant since the software is buggy and lacks some features like logging bandwidth usage by individual users.

Do you know any good alternatives either using windows or linux?

I've found one called FreeProxy that is free and quite close to what I need but if someone knows better solutions for intranet usage I would very much like to hear them.

http://www.handcraft...ndex.php?page=5

Preferably, a self-contained linux based OS program would be even better to avoid additional windows licenses and run it straight out of the box. (no need for Active Directory integration for allowed user list)

Thank you.

:cheers:

#2 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

If you've got time to play, I found squid on linux much more reliable than the free windows proxies I tried (didn't try FreeProxy).
Not sure about bandwidth logging though, or any out-of-the-box distros, I prefer to tinker...

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for sharing your experience.

To try Squid out of the box I found IP Cop: http://www.ipcop.org...PCop14xFeatures and a few other linux distros as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCop

Will try them, based on the feature list and screenshots already looks better than what we currently have, let's see how they work.

#4 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

I use IPCop too, but for outgoing traffic filtering you have to use iptables or add-ons, and add-ons sometimes get broken by IPCop upgrades.
I have a separate box for squid / dansguardian / email, currently gentoo but I'm (slowly) moving to debian.
If you want to "modify anything inside" then you might be better off with a general purpose distro rather than IPCop.
Good luck with it :cheers:

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

That's a good advice, I'm also trying to get more experience with Linux and will do as you say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users