Photo

Newcomer's Tutorial - LiveXP with Optional BootSDI!

• Please log in to reply
440 replies to this topic

#376 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hi
I got a query. In the ppApps folder (portable applications) there are many applications which are in the SFX format (meaning compressed to save space and these programs self - extract only when u double click them). What happens now is that since these programs are in the DVD (LiveXP DVD), when you double click them (eg: 010HexEditor_SFX.exe) you get an SFX Error (see picture)

What is happening is that the "010HexEditor_SFX.exe" file is trying to extract the files inside it, into the D: drive which happens to be the LiveXP DVD drive. That means it is trying to extract to a DVD and as that is obviously not possible, it fails.
Now a workaround for that is to manually extract the "010HexEditor_SFX.exe" file into the ppApps folder before building the livexp, than make changes in the ppApps.ini file, so that the auto ppApps script will recognise the new 010HexEditor.exe file, and than make the LiveXp build.

My question is there any other way, which this can be done, instead of manually extracting, making changes in the ppApps.ini file etc, bcos since the ppApps portable applications consist of 403 folders, there are many of these which are in the SFX format. It will take a long procedure to extract and convert each one of them.

Thanxs for taking time to read this...... :dubbio:

#377 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hi
Is it possible to boot the Live Xp from USB HDD ---> Meaning I have a 1TB Western Digital external HDD, on which i have made a bootable FAT32 primary 60GB partition which i am using to boot all the different linux distros, WINXP setup files, WIN 7 setup files and other bootable isoes. In other words i have used the "" Mission Impossible USB (MIUSB)" tutorial to make a multiboot USB hardisk partition of 60gb, where i have the above mentioned bootable isoes and WINXP, WIN7 setup files and i would love to add the LIVEXP to this collection. Is it possible to do.?
Since it is 60GB, is there a problem, on USB HDD for livexp to work.
:dubbio:

#378 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi
I got a query. In the ppApps folder (portable applications) there are many applications which are in the SFX format (meaning compressed to save space and these programs self - extract only when u double click them). What happens now is that since these programs are in the DVD (LiveXP DVD), when you double click them (eg: 010HexEditor_SFX.exe) you get an SFX Error (see picture)

What is happening is that the "010HexEditor_SFX.exe" file is trying to extract the files inside it, into the D: drive which happens to be the LiveXP DVD drive. That means it is trying to extract to a DVD and as that is obviously not possible, it fails.
Now a workaround for that is to manually extract the "010HexEditor_SFX.exe" file into the ppApps folder before building the livexp, than make changes in the ppApps.ini file, so that the auto ppApps script will recognise the new 010HexEditor.exe file, and than make the LiveXp build.

My question is there any other way, which this can be done, instead of manually extracting, making changes in the ppApps.ini file etc, bcos since the ppApps portable applications consist of 403 folders, there are many of these which are in the SFX format. It will take a long procedure to extract and convert each one of them.

Thanxs for taking time to read this...... :dubbio:

Hi fms,

The sfx can be setup to expand to a temp directory like imdisk R: or B: or system X: (not recommended) etc. This is a function of the sfx options used when creating the packages and settings in livexp for choosing temp location. I am in the process of updating and re-packaging most of the ppapps for dual use in livexp and w7pex and hopefully the issues you describe will be resolved in the upcoming release :D

#379 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi
Is it possible to boot the Live Xp from USB HDD ---> Meaning I have a 1TB Western Digital external HDD, on which i have made a bootable FAT32 primary 60GB partition which i am using to boot all the different linux distros, WINXP setup files, WIN 7 setup files and other bootable isoes. In other words i have used the "" Mission Impossible USB (MIUSB)" tutorial to make a multiboot USB hardisk partition of 60gb, where i have the above mentioned bootable isoes and WINXP, WIN7 setup files and i would love to add the LIVEXP to this collection. Is it possible to do.?
Since it is 60GB, is there a problem, on USB HDD for livexp to work.

I'm not familiar with the project your using but there are a number of ways to multi-boot livexp/w7pex images from usb/ufd etc. Some are described in my tutorial as well as wimb's great tutorial and many other places here in the forum. In my w7pex project (see tutorial), there is an automated setup for multi-iso's booted from ufd and the section in the tutorial on booting iso's from hard drive apply to usb-hd's as well. Take a look and if you have specific questions, we're here to help :D

#380 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Hello Amalux
Thankxs for taking the time to answer my queries........ :D and also for the hardwork of preparing updating and re-packaging most of the ppapps.....(there is no hurry from my side :dubbio: )

But just for my information, when u said that

The sfx can be setup to expand to a temp directory like imdisk R: or B: or system X: (not recommended) etc. This is a function of the sfx options used when creating the packages and settings in livexp for choosing temp location

are you meaning that each of the individual program sfx (eg: partitionmagic_sfx.exe) has to be setup (manually before i make the livexp build) to expand to the imdsk R: or B: . I have 403 ppApps. Each of the 403 have to be setup to expand to a temp directory like imdsk R: or B:, or is there some common setting in the build (a setting in the script of winbuilder lx78sp6cxw) which can be adjusted so that all the sfx (say 250 off the sfxes applications) will be directly expanded to a temp directory like imdisk R: Like a general kind of setting, instead of a manually doing for each of the say 200 applications. This info is just for my knowledge.

Now about the LiveXP from USB.
Using the Mission Impossible tutorial, though i am not too knowledgeable about this, but i think it uses the grub 0.4.4 (2009-03-31). This one Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I was able to boot from the menu.lst the LiveXP.iso. which i had copied to the 60gb partition (FAT32). So LiveXP.iso works from 60gb partition. Checked it today.
The problem that i am having is that i prepared a LiveXP.iso using the Wimboot option, W2k3_Ramdisk and no wimpack enabled (just provided the settings for better diagnoses).
I used both these Codes in the menu.lst of my USB HDD

CODE 1
title LiveXP -> RAM
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /LiveXP.iso
map --mem /LiveXP.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

CODE2
title LiveXP RAM
map /LiveXP.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

CODE 1 Does not work. The screen remains with a blinking cursor like this
Posted Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have i to do something else while making the build for Code 1 to work. I think by Code 1 the livexp is loading to the memory....rite?

Code 2 works.

The reason why i was asking about trying with the CODE 1, was bcos, when i tried Code 2, the following i could not achieve.
I have a ppApps folder and a drivers folder inside the root of the LIVEXP.iso, not in the root of the USB HDD. These two folders are basically in side the LiveXP.iso
If i use the LiveXP.iso in VMWare (boot from CDRom in VMWare, ie i m not using the USB HDD in this case) the ppAppsGen script recognises the ppApps folder and generates the shortcuts. The DriverImport recognises the drivers folder and loads all the drivers.

But if i copy this same liveXp.iso to the USB HDD and use the above CODE 2 than the ppApps folder and drivers folder are not recognised.
In all these tests ppApps folder and drivers folder are present inside the LIVEXP.iso
How can i get the LiveXP.iso to work with the Code 1
How can i get LiveXp.iso to load the ppApps shortcuts and drivers from the "drivers folder" (with both the ppApps folder and drivers folder lying inside the LiveXP.iso.....meaning is it possible?)
Also the the audio driver Realtek fails to load in real PC environment.
I tried the LiveXP.iso from USB HDD in Vmware and the audio driver there works (Shows creative sound blaster in VMware). But when i tried the same livexp.iso (USB HDD) in real PC condition , it doesnt work. The Realtek driver starts to load and fails.
Tried DIPE autosearch searching on host PC, it searches and finds Realtek, but after trying to load it fails. Put driver packs in drivers folders (DP_sound.....7z). It searches there , finds realtek and fails to load.
Tried DriverImport by going to specific folder (on the host where i have my drivers of the host backed up), gives a message driver needs Bus-Driver.
:D

#381 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

..are you meaning that each of the individual program sfx (eg: partitionmagic_sfx.exe) has to be setup (manually before i make the livexp build) to expand to the imdsk R: or B: . I have 403 ppApps. Each of the 403 have to be setup to expand to a temp directory like imdsk R: or B:, or is there some common setting in the build (a setting in the script of winbuilder lx78sp6cxw) which can be adjusted so that all the sfx (say 250 off the sfxes applications) will be directly expanded to a temp directory like imdisk R: Like a general kind of setting, instead of a manually doing for each of the say 200 applications. This info is just for my knowledge.

The global temp location is set in livexp under Define Fundamentals and TempPE. Where the sfx expands it's files to is (unfortunately) an internal setting in each sfx. I must admit, thinking back on it now, expanding files to it's own directory seems like a bad idea :D , the reason was to avoid using the system drive for this purpose but why didn't I use imdisk R: or B: temp :dubbio: . It seems to me there was an issue with some sfx forcing a temp expansion on system X: regardless of livexp settings and I was having trouble with the more complicated setups where the PE registry has to know where the files are extracted to etc. I really need to do more tests to know for sure, I know more now than I did then and possibly these issues can be overcome; give me some time to work it out. If you're willing, I'll send you a few preliminary packages for testing when I get them ready :P

I was able to boot from the menu.lst the LiveXP.iso. which i had copied to the 60gb partition (FAT32). So LiveXP.iso works from 60gb partition. Checked it today.
The problem that i am having is that i prepared a LiveXP.iso using the Wimboot option, W2k3_Ramdisk and no wimpack enabled (just provided the settings for better diagnoses).
I used both these Codes in the menu.lst of my USB HDD

CODE 1 Does not work. The screen remains with a blinking cursor...

Well, it will probably work but it takes a loooong time to load everything into memory so seems to hang with blinking cursor, not recommended to setup this way for that reason.

The reason why i was asking about trying with the CODE 1, was bcos, when i tried Code 2, the following i could not achieve.
I have a ppApps folder and a drivers folder inside the root of the LIVEXP.iso, not in the root of the USB HDD. These two folders are basically in side the LiveXP.iso
If i use the LiveXP.iso in VMWare (boot from CDRom in VMWare, ie i m not using the USB HDD in this case) the ppAppsGen script recognises the ppApps folder and generates the shortcuts. The DriverImport recognises the drivers folder and loads all the drivers.

But if i copy this same liveXp.iso to the USB HDD and use the above CODE 2 than the ppApps folder and drivers folder are not recognised.
In all these tests ppApps folder and drivers folder are present inside the LIVEXP.iso
How can i get the LiveXP.iso to work with the Code 1
How can i get LiveXp.iso to load the ppApps shortcuts and drivers from the "drivers folder" (with both the ppApps folder and drivers folder lying inside the LiveXP.iso.....meaning is it possible?)

Nothing to do with VM, just that if you're booting from iso, the image root will be recognised (any root will be recognized) but if you're booting from usb-hd, the iso becomes like a sub-directory of that usb drive. You would either have to extract the contents of the iso to the usb root or simply put the ppapps and drivers folder there to begin with, this way your sfx expansion issue is solved! This is the reason I recommend using a sparse livexp image (much faster boot time and uses far less RAM) and keeping everything else at the root of some writable drive (like your usb-hd). You can put them on a second partition of the usb drive to keep things orderly, they'll still be recognized at the root of that or any other drive :P

Also the the audio driver Realtek fails to load in real PC environment.
I tried the LiveXP.iso from USB HDD in Vmware and the audio driver there works (Shows creative sound blaster in VMware). But when i tried the same livexp.iso (USB HDD) in real PC condition , it doesnt work. The Realtek driver starts to load and fails.
Tried DIPE autosearch searching on host PC, it searches and finds Realtek, but after trying to load it fails. Put driver packs in drivers folders (DP_sound.....7z). It searches there , finds realtek and fails to load.
Tried DriverImport by going to specific folder (on the host where i have my drivers of the host backed up), gives a message driver needs Bus-Driver.

Unfortunately, Dipe (the program) doesn't support every driver; will the driver install if you use the program gui version (scut on desktop)? It may be that you just need to supply additional driver(s) to support the bus but Lancelot can tell you more about this one, good luck :unsure:

#382 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Hi Amalux
What i did now was went to each of the sfx program and expanded (extracted) them before making the livexp.iso build, so that they do not have to do it after the build. This i did before making the build. A tedious job of looking at 450-500 apps (each one of them). But somehow it's done now. No problem, always willing to help with the testing part. :D

Well, it will probably work but it takes a loooong time to load everything into memory so seems to hang with blinking cursor, not recommended to setup this way for that reason.

Which code do you suggest i use in the menu.lst

CODE2
title LiveXP RAM
map /LiveXP.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)

This one?

just that if you're booting from iso, the image root will be recognised (any root will be recognized) but if you're booting from usb-hd, the iso becomes like a sub-directory of that usb drive. You would either have to extract the contents of the iso to the usb root or simply put the ppapps and drivers folder there to begin with

Thanks for the info, i had this doubt which you cleared here. :dubbio:
Yes after trial and error , i too reached the same conclusion that incase of USB-HDD it is better to keep the ppApps folder, drivers folder in the root of the USB-HDD, or even in another separate partition (which most probably is what i will do).

But there was a reason why i wanted to put the ppApps folder in the root of the LiveXP.iso. I also want to make a multiboot DVD (using the Easyboot program), where i will add other bootable ISOes to this multiboot DVD.
Say LiveXP.iso + Acronis.iso + Ubuntu.iso. So while making this type of multiboot DVD (using Easyboot program), where do i have to put the ppApps & drivers folder.
Inside the LiveXp.iso or inside the root of the "Multiboot DVD"

Meaning should it be
(1) {LiveXP + ppApps + drivers folder}.iso + Acronis.iso + Ubuntu.iso = Multiboot DVD
or should it be
(2) LiveXP.iso + Acronis.iso + Ubuntu.iso + ppApps folder + drivers folder = Multiboot DVD

In the first case the ppApps & drivers folder is inside the root of the LiveXP.iso and in the second case the ppApps & drivers folder is inside the root of the multiboot DVD.

will the driver install if you use the program gui version (scut on desktop)

In order to test this from where can i get the program gui version

PS: Yes.....Hope Lancelot will come by :unsure:

#383 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

Which code do you suggest i use in the menu.lst

Yes, that 'CODE2' should work for (multi-)booting iso's (not all iso's but the ones in question) from usb-hd, hdd or ufd.

But there was a reason why i wanted to put the ppApps folder in the root of the LiveXP.iso. I also want to make a multiboot DVD (using the Easyboot program), where i will add other bootable ISOes to this multiboot DVD.
Say LiveXP.iso + Acronis.iso + Ubuntu.iso. So while making this type of multiboot DVD (using Easyboot program), where do i have to put the ppApps & drivers folder.
Inside the LiveXp.iso or inside the root of the "Multiboot DVD"

If you must have them locked inside an iso image :unsure: , they will need to be at the root of that multi-boot image (afaik), honestly, I have not experimented with multi-booting iso's which are packed with portable programs and drivers because this seems counter productive. I would keep the iso's lite for versatility and fast booting, leaving the portable programs portable on a separate partition or ufd etc. Part of the appeal of ppapps is to be able to update, tweak, add/remove programs at will, not as easy to do inside an iso image. I'm not convinced that even unpacked, (some) of the programs won't suffer being launched from a read only media. One could argue that locking the portable programs inside the livexp iso, defeats the purpose of using portables; just use script versions of the programs instead :D .

One more thing, soon ppapps will be usable 'cross-platform', so booting from livexp or w7pex loads programs from the same ppapps folder :dubbio:
Attached File  w7dtop122.png   1.91MB   41 downloads

#384 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:04 PM

Hi Amalux
Thanks for clearing my doubts and for the tips too.
I have used code 2 as it works well, with USB-HDD.

And i agree too with the point that if one puts the ppApps in a read only media it defeats the portability function, and for that reason i will be putting the ppApps in the root of the USB HDD and not in the root of the LiveXp.iso.
Only incase of the multiboot DVD, will give a try to see if it functions properly (by putting ppApps in the root of the multiboot dvd). And accordingly will report my findings here.
So as off now the one thing missing is the audio driver for the LivXP
Wish only that the audio driver would function for my real PC environment. (hope Lancelot comes by and reads my query). :dubbio:

#385 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Sorry, missed your query about the dipe gui version, it's included in all versions of Driver Import PE scripts (AE version just adds autosearch). If you're using any of my builds, there should be a shortcut for it on the PE desktop (Dipe only works in PE).

#386 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:11 PM

Hi Amalux
Yes i am using your build :dubbio: and i have tried the Dipe GUI version of the program inside the PE build (during the tests, but that doesnt work). My mistake was i assumed you were talking about a dipe version which works outside the PE build. So that i could use that on a real windows environment (not PE build) and see if the Realtek audio drivers were found and if found if i could install them. Meaning carry out a simulation on a real environment (just like in the PE build). Just thought maybe there was a older free version of Driver Import which works on WinXp real environment (googled it but no result), as i know that the newer versions are paid (kare).

PS:-
Thought there maybe a problem (compatibilty issue with HDAudio script with respect to my audio hardware. So tried without HD Audio script and with HD Audio script with the KB888111) Still no result. Will try now with WinXP Pro SP2, since i tried all this with WinXP Pro SP3 (the rest everything worked fine), since according to the tutorial it best works on WinXp Pro SP2.

#387 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Yes, I've found SP2 does support media better, keep trying different things; it's not an exact science, more like voodoo or alchemy :) . Double pass (running dipe twice on same drivers), trying different versions of driver, running HwPnP (in build), installing from device manager etc. You can always pop in a good old creative card, they're usually recognized by livexp no problem :dubbio: . In the end, audio in pe isn't very important but it is fun to see what's possible :unsure:

#388 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hi
I tried from WinXP Pro SP2 and the problem with the audio is still there. So the problem is not with SP2 or SP3, its just like as if there is no audio device installed , and that's why it cant install the Realtek drivers, bcos Driver Import PE does find the audio driver, but does not install it.
Posted Image

A similar type of condition had happened to me the first time i used LiveXP on VMWare, just could not find the audio device controller, and than i realized that the VMWare virtual computer didnt have a audio device (enabled), meaning i had forgotten to give a audio device for that virtual computer. The moment i gave an audio device, the driver was installed and everything worked fine for that VMWare computer.

PS:-Just realized that the LIVXP.iso finds the audio device and installs sucessfully when i tried it from a DVD-R on which i burnt.
Posted Image

In other words from a USB-HDD it is not finding the audio device, but from a burnt DVD the LiveXP finds the audio device.

Very Strange :D

#389 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

PS:-Just realized that the LIVXP.iso finds the audio device and installs sucessfully when i tried it from a DVD-R on which i burnt.
Posted Image

In other words from a USB-HDD it is not finding the audio device, but from a burnt DVD the LiveXP finds the audio device.

This has not been my experience, if it works from an iso (cd/dvd), the same iso should work from usb-hd/ufd/hdd etc. Also, if dipe gui can install the device, dipe autosearch should work equally well. There should be no difference in how the PE behaves (loading times vary of course) once it boots up, they're all the same image loaded to ram. Confirm the one iso (dvd) works on real hardware (virtual doesn't count) and reproduce using same iso booted from different media without other changes. It's a very good sign that (at least) one setup works for you, use that as your base to carefully try other options.

#390 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:18 AM

@fms

I feel your sound problems all about having hdaudio in one build and not having in another. (always have hdaudio script enabled :D )
Another theory is not having drivers folder in one of your tests (since you put ppapps and drivers inside .iso booting with grub4dos..... and these folders not accessable ....)
Another theory, in one of your tests, systemdrive ( X:\ ) is not writable.

Tip: hdaudio files can be extracted and put in drivers folder, as a result you do not have to remember hdaudio enabled or not since when dipe find hdaudio required, it will install first, and when it finds soundcard driver, it will install soundcard second. (tip: make hdaudio folder searched first)

And:
dipe always designed for Pe1 from first day, even paid version still same.
For windows, you can use Driver Geek (old name: Driver Forge which I always like to use also in PE)
http://www.msfn.org/...iver-installer/

#391 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:26 AM

Hi amalux,

As you know, besides being a collection meant to be run from ufd, I also see "amalux ppapps collection" as a workaround of getting slower wb building + universal approach for all :D . As you can see from fms experience, this is a nice idea :unsure: .
Still keeping original design with its advantages (not requiring space from PE and some of them saving settings when exited)
, you can prepare a common batch file,
sth like (not tested (still away from home) and may not be a proper batch but will give you the idea)
Echo 1>writeable.test
If ExistFile writeable.test goto starthere
If Not ExistFile writeable.test goto starttemp
exit
:starthere
del writeable.test
start blabla.exe
exit
:starttemp
del writeable.test
md %temp%\amaluxppaps
md %temp%\amaluxppaps\OperaUSB
xcopy *.* ....... %temp%\amaluxppaps\OperaUSB
-->also 7z can be used here, maybe this could work (by putting \7zcentral\7z.exe in collection I guess using ..\ work)
..\7zcentral\7z.exe x operablablasfx.exe blaaaa %temp%\amaluxppaps\OperaUSB
start "" /D"%temp%\amaluxppaps\OperaUSB" blabla.exe
exit

ps:
A central (base) extract point (%temp%\amaluxppapps\) have 3 advantages:
* When we delete this folder we empty ramdrive (or fbwf-bootimg-wimboot drive if temp folder is there) of ppapps on a PE
* Also since now we can use ppapps on cd-dvd (instead of ufd) on a computer, after using we can easly delete ppapps applications we run on a computer (deleting file traces)
(rd /s /q "%temp%\amaluxppapps")
* and I remember some PE in history using B:\ root drive as temp folder, using amaluxppapps will result with B:\amaluxppapps will keep things tidy (+above easy to delete advantage)

as a result, you have all advantages :P both with original design of requiring writable media (ufd) and none-writable media.. :D .

Also one can easly add these packages to wimb iso too :) .

I hope you like the idea, but I know it is not something to do in 2 days, If you like, drop by drop you can work on it in time :>. (slow is also better since you can make your batch perfect with each experience)

#392 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:28 AM

Hey Lancelot :D

Great ideas! :D Working on it now, look for first batch soon :)

#393 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:38 AM

I tried to build Windows7PE using your "WIN7PEX128" pre-configured script pack and the "Windows 7 32bit-Retail" iso as source..named "7600.16385.090713-1255_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRMCULXFRER_EN_DVD" and i also verified its hashes...so i know it is not tampered..
When i try to build the PE in the "windows xp" the system just starts immediately just after the 3rd step in the building process..and no log is created when this happens which i can post here...the last message i can read is that it is trying to save some setting after mounting the boot.wim..

#394 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

When i try to run the same project in Windows 7 x64bit,i get a message to install Windows WAIK to continue the script even though it is already intalled on my system..i am attaching the log file generated by the script

http://www.mediafire...v76mb7miknw3j0u

EDIT:
I successfully built my WINPE by pointing to the installed WAIK folder in the 'pre-configured' script...the default option somehow didin't work for me..anyways thanks amalux for providing us such a great tool.

#395 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:26 PM

I successfully built my WINPE by pointing to the installed WAIK folder in the 'pre-configured' script...the default option somehow didin't work for me..anyways thanks amalux for providing us such a great tool.

You're very welcome and thank you for testing/reporting :) . So WAIK not optional with x64, good to know; I can't test x64 (only have old 32 bit dinosaurs here) so this kind of feedback really helps :mellow:

:mellow:

#396 sushil1576

sushil1576

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

You're very welcome and thank you for testing/reporting :mellow: . So WAIK not optional with x64, good to know; I can't test x64 (only have old 32 bit dinosaurs here) so this kind of feedback really helps :unsure:

:unsure:

I am glad that i could be of any help to you in your project...And regarding WAIK in windows 7 x64 bit,i think i was able to build WINPE as i had WAIK insatlled on my system..it is just that the script was looking in the wrong location for 'imagex.exe' and by pointing to the right directory the script was executed without any errors...May be i am not correct but this is what i thought the problem could be... :mellow:

#397 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi Amalux
As i had promised in post 384, i made a Livexp.iso without the ppApps folder inside the iso. Than using G4D, i made a G4D DVDR with the Livexp.iso alongwith some other ISOes and also put the ppApps folder in the root of the G4D dvdr (not the root of the LiveXP.iso, but in the root of the G4D iso). ie
G4D DVDR= {Livexp.iso + LinuxMint.iso + ppApps folder}

So after booting the G4d dvdr, and from there booting/loading Livexp.iso, the LiveXp finds the ppApps folder in the root of the G4D dvdr and is able to find the shortcuts. So just thought of informing this here as i had promised i would.

Also as i am building a new LiveXP today i am getting this error.
Posted Image
Just as info :I made a build with winxp sp2, wimboot, w2k3_ramdisk script.

So what could i be doing wrong to get this error.

PS: Your personal advice, what would you suggest, :should i make a build with wimboot + w2k3_ramdisk script. or with bootsdi + firadisk. Which option would you suggest. I know that different options will cater to different sceanrios, but what would you suggest i use. Want to make a build which i can put on my G4D multiboot dvdr and also want to put on my Sardu/G4D multiboot USB.

#398 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hi fms :cheers:

Looks good :cheers: , for the write failure issue - try a test: download paraglider's SetPageFile plugin and put it somewhere in the pe so it runs at startup. You can incorporate it into a script or easier, run it as a ppApps with a setups.cmd like this (or similar):
SetPageFile /a1 20 1820 /fpepf.sys /r

This adds a variable pagefile for Windows to use and should avoid this type of error. As long as it's run before opening FireFox (in this case) it'll work fine. Let me know if that resolves the issue or if you have questions :cheers:

--
I prefer wimboot as you know (script uses 2k3 source, needs no ramdisk scripts) but bootsdi+ramdisk (2k3 and firadisk are both fine) works great as well (just a bit bigger image). In your particular case, if wimboot causes some issue, bootsdi is a fine alternative ;)

:cheers:

#399 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hi Amalux
Thanks for the quick reply and good to be in contact.... ;)
Will go ahead with the wimboot + 2k3 as other than that prvious post error, it is working okay.
I had a doubt, hope it is not very silly, but since i do not know i thought i would go ahead and ask. Please have a look at my screenshots for my query,
I downloaded the SetPageFile Plugin by Paraglider. It is a *cab file, so i extracted it (unrared,unzipped it).
Posted Image
So after extracting i get this Posted Image
Inside the "files folder" is the SetPageFile.exe file.
Next i opened a notepad and wrote
inside the notepad and saved the notepad as setups.cmd. I saved this file setups.cmd in here Posted Image
So do i save this setups.cmd in the location as shown in the screenshot or do i have to save it in the "files folder" where the SetPageFile.exe file is present.
Also do i than put this SetPageFile folder inside the ppApps folder and write a ppApps.ini file so that SetPageFile.exe will load at startup.

On another topic, remember i was saying sometime back that my audio driver was not working. meaning after starting LiveXp i was not able to get my audio driver to function. It would not installed. Today i was able to get it to work. Found the reason why the audio was not working.
I had made a "drivers folder" with some driver packs and this was lying in the root of a partition. So when LiveXP use to start , after starting the Driver Import PE script wuld search for drivers from this folder and load which ever drivers were necessary. But some driver from this pack was conflicting with my desktop PC (my system) audio driver, and as a result when i tried to manually run the Driver Import PE, it wuld find the Realtek driver but wuld fail to install, bcos during startup, something from the driver pack (from the driver folder) had already messed up my audio. So even manually it wuld fail.
Posted Image
The moment i didnt use this above picture (drivers at all) , i am now able to manually run DriverImport PE and choose my Realtek driver and it installs without a problem, and i have my audio. So i have discarded the pack as there was some conflict with the audio driver of my system.

#400 fms

fms

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 141 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi ;)
Okay please correct me if i am wrong, but after writing the above post, i tried it this way, and wuld like to know if what i hve done is correct.
As i mentioned in the above post, i extracted the SetupPageFile.cab to a folder called SetupPageFile. Next made a setups.cmd file with the code

. Now if i put the SetupPageFile.exe in the same location as setups.cmd (not inside the files folder, but outside it), and than if i restart LiveXP than automatically the SetupPageFile.exe sets a pagefile value of 1820 as that is value in the above code. If i increase the value in the above code than the value of pagefile will also automatically increase when i restart of livxep. So it is this setups.cmd file which autostarts at the beginning of the startup of LiveXP and also automatically sets the value. And i do not need to make a ppApps.ini file.

Am i correct in what i said?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users