18 replies to this topic

#1 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

Hi all :) ,

Everywhere I look on the net I see pirated copies of XP in many different flavours 1 variation I particularly like the look of is XP Scene by ZiMiNi
here is some extracted details
² This release is jam packed with Performance Enhancing tweaks ²
² of every nature. Also included is the excellent System 4a theme ²
² and a converted G.A.N.T. 2 Shell Theme, along with custom boot ²
² and logon screens. The standard compilation of Cracked WFP and ²
² uxtheme.dll should make your life easier and the added ²
² convenience of the almost fully automated install will bring a ²
² smile to your face.
Well thats the sales pitch anyway, & is illegal to use. However, why is it that the pirates have all the best stuff why can't we for example, says he spitting his dummy out in jealousy? :)
My suggestion is this in a very basic overview:
First instead of using the top end XP e.g. Professional, that pirates invariably use, we would use XP Home 32 bit edition, why! because most legitimate users of XP have this variation therefore the proposal will benefit most legit users, target the biggest audiance so to speak (Unless most Boot-Land users are using an XP PRO illegal copy that is LOL!).
Put together a recipe of tips & tweaks using Nlite, service packs slipstreaming, drivers installation registry tweaks as there are plenty on Boot-Land now, & build a custom XP CD which is small but fully functional, has been tweaked for performance, and stability & that beginners can construct. In this way novices can learn about the inner mechanics of XP & they will have the option to adopt the tweak adaptation or leave it out to suit their own needs. The tweaks could be classified into pre-install & post install categories?
Also the challenge is achieve this idea with freeware utils, e.g. Nlite, batch files, reg files etc etc.
It could be compiled in a staged format, e.g. the basic setting up of a given project, then slipstreaming service packs, then shrinking, adding drivers how to etc. here's one template idea for removal of may items, of course a consensus of opinion or alternatives drawn up where individuals opinions differ?
The Following has been Removed.
Applications:
Briefcase
Games
Internet Games
Pinball
Screensavers
Drivers:
Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
Display Adapters
Display Adapters (old)
IBM PS/2 TrackPoint
IBM Thinkpad
ISDN
Logitech WingMan
Microsoft SideWinder
Modems
MultiFunctional
Portable Audio
Printers
Scanners
Serial Pen Tablet
Sony Jog Dial
Tape drives
Toshiba DVD decoder card
HardWare Support:
Brother Devices
Gravis Digital GamePort
Iomega Zip drive
Multi-port serial adapters
Ramdisk
Multimedia:
ActiveX for streaming video
AOL ART Image Format Support
Media Center
Mouse Cursors
Movie Maker
Music Samples
Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder
Speech Support
Tablet PC
Windows Sounds
Networking:
Client for Netware Networks
Communication tools
Comtrol Test Terminal Program
Connection Manager
FrontPage Extensions
H323 MSP
Internet Connection Wizard
Internet Information Services (IIS)
IP Conferencing
MSN Explorer
Netmeeting
Peer-to-Peer
Share Creation Wizard
Synchronization Manager
Vector Graphics Rendering (VML)
Web Folders
Windows Messenger
Operating System Options:
.NET Framework
Administrative Templates
Administrator VB scripts
Blaster/Nachi removal tool
Color Schemes
Desktop Cleanup Wizard
Document Templates
DR Watson
FAT to NTFS converter
File and Settings Wizard
Help and Support
Input Method Editor
Manual Install and Upgrade
MS XML 2.0
Search Assistant
Security Center
Service Pack Messages
Shell Media Handler
Symbolic Debugger (NTSD)
Tour
Web View
Zip Folders
Services:
Alerter
Application Layer Gateway
Beep Driver
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting
Fax Service
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
Indexing Service
Messenger
Network DDE
Remote Registry
Removable Storage
Route Listening Service
RPC Locator
Service Advertising Protocol
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Volume Shadow Copy
Directories:
DOCS
SUPPORT
VALUEADD
Disable and deleted the Classic Windows XP Install Screens with the info about XP and the blue Background.
You will just see a black background now and the install will look similar to 2000. This saves Space and gives more
info while installing.
Patches:
TCP/IP Half-Open Connections = 100 (Default 10)
UXTheme Patch (Allows Unsigned Themes to be applied to XP)
Windows System File Checker Disabled (SFC)
Registry Tweaks:
Boot and Shutdown-Status Messages-Extended
Desktop-My Computer icon-Show
Desktop-My Documents icon-Show
Desktop-My Network Places icon-Hide
Desktop-Recycle Bin icon-Show
Explorer-Disable Prefix: Shortcut to
Explorer-Disable shortcut arrow
Explorer-Show extensions of known file-types
Explorer-Show hidden files and folders
Explorer-Show protected operating system files
Internet Explorer-Disable information bar when popup is blocked
Internet Explorer-Disable Outlook Express link creation
Internet Explorer-Disable sound when popup is blocked
Internet Explorer-Keep IE URL-History for-0 Days
Internet Explorer-Set Homepage-www.google.com
Internet Explorer-Set Internet Explorer to accept 10 connects at a time
My Computer-Add Administrative Tools
My Computer-Add Control Panel
My Computer-Add My Network Places
My Computer-Add Network Connections
Performance-Disable Info Tips on Files and Folders
Performance-Disable Last accessed Timestamp on files
Performance-Disable Optimize harddisk when idle
Performance-Disable Tracking of Broken Shortcut Links
Privacy-Disable Driver Update Internet prompt
Privacy-Remove Alexa
Security-Always show Updates under Software
Start Menu-Clear most recently opened documents list on logoff
Start Menu-Disable Highlight newly installed programs
Start Menu-Disable popup on first boot
Start Menu-Do not use Personalized Menus
Start Menu-My Network Places-Don’t display this item
Start Menu-Network Connections-Link to Network Connections folder
Start Menu-Printers and Faxes-Don’t display this item
Start Menu-Remove Search For People from Search
Start Menu-Remove Search the Internet from Search
Start Menu-Remove Set Program Access and Defaults
Start Menu-Remove Windows Catalog shortcut
Taskbar-Disable Balloon Tips
Taskbar-Disable Language-Bar
Taskbar-Hide Volume Control Icon in System Tray
Taskbar-Lock the Taskbar-Yes
Visual Effects-Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing-Disable
Visual Effects-Tooltip animation-Disable
Windows Media Player-Accept Privacy Statement
Windows Media Player-Disable auto-add music to library
Windows Media Player-Disable automatic codec download
Windows Media Player-Disable metadata retrieval
Windows Media Player-Disable MRU
Windows Media Player-Disable silent acqusition
Windows Media Player-Disable starting with Media Guide
Windows Media Player-Enhanced privacy settings
The Following Settings Have been added to the unattended aspect of this idea.
Firewall Disabled
System Restore Service Disabled
Automatic Updates Disabled (Can be re-enabled)
Default Theme Set on Classic (Can Change to Luna Which is Still Included)

We also provide details on optional modding & skinning details inclusive to change the appearance to ultimately provide a legitimate lightweight fast full install XP CD that the user can build from a bog standard XP Home CD the user would insert his or her own product key!
Firstly, would there be any interest in this idea & secondly would everyone contribute to it, we could build in in a systematic modular way, we could call it Boot-Lands definitive guide?

Here are some background information links
http://www.winaddons...te-14-tutorial/
http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/
http://www.kayodeok....ewinxphowto.htm
http://tweakhound.co...upertweaks1.htm
http://www.mdgx.com/wxp.htm
http://www.bold-fort.../?showtopic=229
http://www.bold-fort...hp?showforum=13
Anyone up for it?

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy :)

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

Most heavy work was already done.

Try out the UXP project for yourself to see it in action.

http://winbuilder.ne...oad.php?view.24

Just modify the used nLite profile to suit your modifications and add more addons to get it customized the way you like.

:)

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 01:05 PM

ispy nothing wrong with you starting a project that patches a XP install/source instead of creating a PE.

But if you want to have success with it, don't make it the longest tutorial ever! :)
Rather create a script/scripts that do all the work.

why is it that the pirates have all the best stuff

There are just 2 ways in this world to get the best stuff.
Eighter be a pro and build it, or be a noob and have the money to buy from a pro.
Pirates are never noobs!

#4 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:59 PM

Hi Nuno :) ,

Many thanks for the reply, of course the very thing that is under my konk has escaped my attention UXP would make an excellant engine driver.

Just modify the used nLite profile to suit your modifications and add more addons to get it customized the way you like.

Presumeably this would make all the relvant subtractions, but retain as much functionality as possible, a contradiction in terms I know. Can registry performance tweaks be incorporated or are these better done post install etc?
I'm interested in what other people think to make it as generic as possible but keeping it legal.

@ :) :) ,

I am not trying to start a new project rather it is a recipe of ideas to provide a credible alternative to the pirated editions readily available on the WWW. Criteria being:
  • lightweight but functional
  • tweaked for performance but stable
  • Easy on resources

• Legal
  • & maybe optional eyecandy in the form of skinning/modding?

It's just an idea, one caveat though cannot guarantee it would be short LOL!
Script writers are of course welcome to write automated routines to make the process more automatic, goes without saying! Unfortunately I would fall into the category of being a noob & a tight fisted one at that, pay are you mad LOL! Remember must be free!

Regards & Best Wishes,

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Can registry performance tweaks be incorporated or are these better done post install etc?

Advised to add them as post install with WPI (also included).

#6 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:18 PM

I think i can create a WPI with all the opensource apps in it :) (like Firefox , Thunderbird , Open Office , and others.) however the other things are hard to be done and making it legal means one thing not using Windows :) so i was thinking about this a long time now about using ReactOS or rewriting every single ms file .dll's and other stuff :) so better use reactos just how do you costumize it ? i'll try to find out and report :)

#7 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hi benxhi :) ,

Was not really thinking of adding any third party stuff really (Apart from skinning maybe), I am thinking of an install like "XP Scene" but instead of it being illegal the user would have to use his own product key as a normal installation would require. Using XP home edition as the base OS as most users (Legit) I know use XP home so it would hit a wider audience.

If we add further programs it will add weight to the project & the programs that we choose may not be the choice of the prospective user. We would not distribute any MS files or OS but would provide a "how to" to achieve say, a XP Scene copy or better that would be legit light flexible & stable & on lower end PC's would be more favourable in respect of resources E.G. Ram etc.

Indeed some may have older Pc's that would fall outside the normal full install of XP home in terms of minimum specification but may be okay with a trimmed down version tweaked with performance in mind?

@Nuno - If we get the recipe right it prove to be an excellant addon tutorial to demonstrate what UXP is capable of in the creation of a custom WinXP install CD. Shirins Boot logo details could also advertise the Boot-Land web-site?

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy :) (Luv this emotion!)

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

A few facts you may like to know ispy.

WinPE1.x with commandprompt as shell needs at least 32MB to boot (without swapfile)
NaughtyPE needs 64 MB to run (without swapfile)
normal XP needs 128MB to run (without swapfile)
Giving normal XP more than 256MB does not improve performance anymore.
XP can already be used on a Pentium 200MHz, but i would recommend, for all non Zen masters, at least a Pentium2 400Mhz.

What has this to do with this topic?
It shows in which range you will be able to affect things with optimizing.
64 - 128MB, - 400MHz
Above these values, optimizing is just for fun, without any practical application.

#9 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:05 PM

The uxp project itself is very modular and user friendly but I think sadly it still falls into the "geek" category.

Benxhi and Carfan have been doing a good work with that project - benxhi even proposed the WPI solution for post-install setup of unattended programs but the reactions from a wider audience have been somewhat very silent.

Maybe the right presentation from your side helps this effort, the project is indeed very efficient in terms of full customization of any windows XP source and since the latest beta versions of wb it should decrease by half the processing time to complete all steps.

#10 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

@MedEvil :) ,

Point taken!

@ Nuno :) ,

half the processing time to complete all steps

This would be also half the battle, so if you think it is in the geek category explicit instruction would be required?

Afterall the other half of the dilema is which buttons to press to achieve the best results, very often we all know about these programs like nlite but how do you use them to there max effect. Would need the right ingredients to make it work & a framework items to exclude & include to pull it off. Sizing wise other projects like XP scene & XP performance edition may provide clues to the optimum sizing etc.

the first thing to do I suppose is to deal with slipstreaming service packs etc?

Regards & Best Wishes,

#11 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

It's a "lazy geek" category thing so you only need to click once or twice to see things moving.

----

One click Play on wb - specify where the XP source files are placed - see the results.

The whole "geek" syndrome is probably the lack of a good marketing effort to explain to more people how it can be used for things like the ones you described on the first post.

#12 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

Update - Have downloaded UXP.zip (wow it's a biggy), off to grab SP3 to slipstream into XP, need to get all the component bits 1st. Is there a guide somewhere on the options you have with UXP or is it a click and go setup where everything is per-configured as some changes may need implimentation?

Next grabbed a copy of Autopatcher for obtaining all the critical up dates from XP SP3. Maybe driver integration maybe useful for unattended install, maybe this could be an optional idea?

Regards & Respect,

#13 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10547 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:11 PM

It is not automated but WUD was included (with due author permission) inside UXP to allow users to download update from Windows and then include them automatically with nLite (uxp will process all updates found inside the WUD dir)

http://wud.jcarle.com

Haven't tried AutoPatcher yet.

Why not getting in contact with Siginet?

He also done a lot of software regarding windows installs and updates, look at the last topics posted here: http://forum.driverp...pic.php?id=2460

The driverpacks team also made the UXP presentation topic as sticky on their forum.

One thing: to run the nlite scripts you will need to have nlite previously installed on your OS.

#14 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 09:58 PM

A bit of a bump I know but just a quick update to let you know I have not forgotten about this little exercise. For me UXP may be a bit of a problem as I use a portable version of Nlite as you know I try not to install software if poss so UXP may have problems detecting Nlite?

I have been working on a list of components within XP that I can remove, based on a XP performance edition, which is currently doing it rounds on the WWW. I have listed the 10 categories that Nlite puts each component into cross referenced the files that XP performance removes against the fileset I am proposing & I have also listed the weighting of each component in order to identify those components with the most weight & thus ripe for removal. All items listed in red are "thou shalt not remove" & all those components above 1Mb are highlight in bold blue, this all of course is with XP SP3 slipstreamed into my XP home edition Install files.

My current exercise is locating as many performance registry tweaks & general tweaks that I can to give the prospective compiler as much options as possible to pre-configure XP to their own tastes. I think I will creat one large .reg file that users can amend to suit their own needs.

On top of this I have found a way to enter these reg tweaks at install time using the txtsetup.sif file within I386 folder to add the registry settings using an inf import settings called setting.inf. Both the .reg file & the setting.inf will need registering within the txtsetup.sif under [HiveInfs.Fresh] e.g. AddReg = settings.inf,update & [SourceDiskFiles] section of txtsetup.sif settings.reg = 100,,,,,,,2,0,0 & finally under [Files] section of dosnet.inf d1,settings.reg. So when XP is installed text mode setup will use the registry keys I will not need to do an unattend install for the settings to work! Also the user can pre-configure his/her own settings before the installation takes place.

So in summary Nlite will cut XP down in size add the SP, a reg file will add the custom performance tweaks & settings, nlite can add the users own CD key (Keeping it legal then some modding for eye-candy) & "jobs a gud on"

So if anyone has any XP auto reg performance tweaks etc please post them here so that I can add them to the overall compilation?

All the Best,

#15 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

one question for you ispy why import reg tweaks using txtsetup.sif when you can use other easier methods such as this and a database of some tweaks here. oh and I think i have another method but i have forgotten it i will search for it and tell you :) .

/benxhi.

P.S. You can use WPI to import registry files :)

#16 benxhi

benxhi

• Tutorial Writer
  • 87 posts
  •  
    Albania

Posted 02 July 2008 - 07:30 PM

Okay found it now :)
If you use the $OEM$ folder than you know what cmdlines.txt is :) so for reference so that if you do not know what the $OEM$ folder is or for any other reason (newbies ,etc no offense to anyone though).
well in your root of your unattended install create a folder $OEM$ . Inside it create a notepad file .txt with these contents:
[COMMANDS]

"REGEDT32.EXE /S tweaks.reg"
and in your $OEM$ folder create a tweaks.reg file with all the needed tweaks.
and voila you are done. for more info visit this website

#17 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:10 PM

Hi benxhi :) ,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply! I am certainly ready to listen to easier methods as the eventual target for tutorial will be for the less experienced, so as you have pointed out "there is more than one way of skinning a cat!"

I will read the links you have provided and inwardly digest!

I have been making furhter improvements to the table spreadsheets for Nlite With titles status Description Size in Kb's, registry ref No's, and whether a registry tweak is available for the various componenets that Nlite can remove!

One observation I have made today is the choice of component removal will have a direct effect on the registry Tweaks that available to the user. There are 10 categories in Nlite for consideration for component removal! Within the spread sheet tables I would like to give each component a ref No that if the user clicks on will hyper link the user to a relevant registry tweak & thus the user can select the component for removal & select the registry tweak that will compliment his/or her selection, just for reasons of conformity.

However many thanks your input is much appreciated. Very often I feel beginners sometimes need to know which buttons to press to undertake a project & it is a lack of confidense that prevents them from trying things out?

Regards & Respect,

#18 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hi all :) ,
Posted Image
I will bounce back to this post from time to time just to update & issue a progress report.

Here's a bit of retro eye candy updated to relect a new profile I am working on for:
"Windows XP Home Edition Custom Retro Scene", trying saying that after a couple of glasses of alchoholic grape juice.
Anyway here it is:
Posted Image

Any thoughts, tried to keep the original wall paper of XP Scene with added info bits!

Regards & Respect,

#19 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:51 AM

Or a less fussy version:
Posted Image

Regards,