Seen here http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812156102

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy :)

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

You need to look on ebay more often for cheaper prices.. :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...id=p3286.c0.m14

That is a really cool gizmo, a fellow co-worker of mine has one and I'm borrowing it all the time.. :)

#3 Moon Goon

Moon Goon

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

I use a very similar model all the time. Good product. It's generic enough that most hard drives and CDs detect without issue in XP and Vista. Some units have trouble especially in PE environments - not so with this one. On older or worn motherboards sometimes the extra juice from the molex power connector actually runs into the PC. I've seen fans turn and LED lights inside the case keep going just because of the feedback. Never, ever use both the red USB connector and the molex power connector at the same time (it makes the bad, magic smoke appear).

EDITED: For clarity.

#4 Sirquil

Sirquil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:31 PM

IMHO this tool is great for data recovery without having to install a drive into a system or enclosure;
however, it is risky to use for long term, in place of an enclosure -due to handling of a hard drive and the possibility of static discharge damaging the printed circuit board -(electronics) on the hard drive.

#5 ispy

ispy

Silver Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:32 PM

Hi All :) ,

Many Thanks Nuno, now all I need is a paypal account! LOL! I think however I will splash out & treat myself again. One thing crossed my mind however although these units are USB2 Driven some peripherals require additional juice like external HDD's & DVD Writers etc.

Never, ever use both the red USB connector and the molex power connector at the same time (it makes the bad, magic smoke appear).

Not quite sure what this statement above means!

Regards & Best Wishes,

ispy :)

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

Not quite sure what this statement above means!

Some of these interfaces provide for TWO different USB connectors (one with leads for the +5V/0V power line and one without) and TWO different "power" connectors (a female molex connector, the size of that for internal hard disk power line and a coaxial connector for the - sometimes included, sometimes optional - AC/DC mains power supply) .

Typical for low-power consumption devices (USB stick, 1.8" and 2.5" hard disks) is using ONLY the USB connector WITH the power line, thus drawing power from the USB bus - 500 mA max if I recall correctly)

Typical for 3.5" hard disks or normal internal CD-ROM or DVD reader/burners is using the USB "power-less" connector and one of the two power connectors for powering the device.

Connecting simultaneously the "powered" USB connector and one of the other power connectors, expecially if the molex one, can create current or voltage "loopbacks" that can in some cases burn the USB motherboard interface or however create serious damage to the motherboard, external USB interface or connected device.

jaclaz

#7 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4164 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:29 AM

So it makes it easy to use and IDE devide using USB. Or is it the opposite.

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:20 AM

So it makes it easy to use and IDE devide using USB. Or is it the opposite.

You plug the thing in a USB port, than you plug into the thing any drive:
IDE/ATAPI (2.5" and 3.5" - some models also have an additional adpter for 1.8")
SATA

Then you can access the drive as it were mounted in an "external USB enclosure", you ma think of it as an EXTREMELY transparent and lightweigh external USB enclosure or as an external USB non-enclosure...:)

jaclaz

#9 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4164 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:14 AM

Makes sense. Very usefull. Might have to get one. Sure sounds like it would make testing a drive much easier and quicker. More fun and less fuss.

#10 dog

dog

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

I had a couple of these, but they were unreliable. Don't know if it was due to overheating of the drives, I tended to use them for disk cloning, with only passive drive cooling for hours at a time.
I tried adding a power splitter and running a fan near the drive, but that seemed just as flakey, so I went back to drive enclosures.
Safer for my cat than exposed fan blades.

#11 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4164 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:10 AM

Safer for my cat than exposed fan blades.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users