#1 Krokodox

Krokodox

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hi all,

Yesterday I sat down and dissected the MS way to implement WMI into PE 2005 (1.6) in order to add it to my XP LiveCD. It did not seem to be all that complicated so I made a WinBuilder script that does the same thing as what the MS OPK's MKIMG.CMD does and ended up with two .REG files, lean, clean and not so overly large. Together with the pre-built repository from the OPK it all came down to a script of about 900KB.

The script builds without error in WinBuilder (XP LiveCD) and upon boot the WMI services are available and started without errors. I have not yet had any chance to determine whether WMI is 100% working, but the same files and registry settings that the MS PE 2005 uses are copied and implemented.

Enclosed you will find the script, if this is the wrong place for the upload then please advice me where to upload scripts.

Have fun!
(BTW, the files for Event Viewer are also copied, but it does not work (yet!))

Attached Files

#2 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks, I have a couple of things I'll be able to test. I'll let you know.

Regards,
Galapo.

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:54 AM

Seems to be OK I think. Suggestion: add the following lines somewhere in the script so the service is automatically started:
Hive_Load,HKU

reg_add,0x1,"%reg%\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\550","WMI","hiderun /w net start WMI"

Hive_Unload,HKU

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 Krokodox

Krokodox

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

Seems to be OK I think. Suggestion: add the following lines somewhere in the script so the service is automatically started:

Hive_Load,HKU

reg_add,0x1,"%reg%\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\550","WMI","hiderun /w net start WMI"

Hive_Unload,HKU

Regards,
Galapo.

?!?! When I look at the Services MMC I can see that the service "Windows Management Instrumentation" is started after boot, and also that it is set to be started "automatically". The service "Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions" is however not started, and it is set to start "Manually". This is the same for my XP workstation. (It can however be started manually, but as I see it this is not done per default on a "real" XP)

BTW, if you have used the script included in my fiorst post here, please download an updated on from http://krokodox.winbuilder.net, the one attached here is missing the fltmgr driver. Perhaps is the culprit in why your WMI does not start?

#5 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:52 AM

Hi Krokodox,

Finally found you here on forum! I've released an 'updated' version of your script here because I had trouble using the original which requires OPK files. I've included your option for OPK but script tries to pull files from WBEM source first, these files are present on my system without installing OPK (I believe these come with XP or possibly NET 2.0?). Also, I had some issue with the registry input, possibly the new WB beta I'm using? so I converted to api and all went smooth. I've left your name 'TT' as the original author and give you credit for the original script, registry etc. I hope the 'new' version allows users with setups like mine (no OPK) to enjoy the benefits of this useful script. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users