- - - - -

Avlsys - Aero Menu File Browser

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 useronce

useronce

• Developer
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:graphic multiboot technology, grub, isoemu, xosl, freeldr.
  •  
    China

Posted 14 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

Purpose
------------------------------

Avlsys can be used to view/create the Aero.sys menu file. In general, you can find these menu files from /airboot. Of course, Avlsys supports zip/gzip compressed menu file. So, we can use Avlsys to view its contents, after Aero Studio deploied.

for providing this tool, I just want to make it easier to customize graphic menu, splash image and the password input window. - They are all images.

Functions and Operations

1. Browse the menu file Within the explorer, double click the .amn file or using the 'open' menu in Avlsys;

2. View menu contents When a menu file open, double click the file icon in the list view, so that, there is a default program launched to
view this file.

3. Extract the contents Drag them in the list view and drop them to the target directory in the explorer window.
[Note], Avlsys doesn't support directory operation: a directory cannot be extracted.

4. Create a new menu file, mode A
Click the "New" button at the toolbar, and then drag&drop files from explorer window to list view. If you do not
want a file to be included, just 'Del' it from the list view. At last, click the "Save" button on the toolbar to save
to file. Here, if you want it be compressed, just check the "compress it" option in the prompted file browseing
window.

[Note], Avlsys doesn't support directory operation: a directory cannot be drag&drop to the list view.

5. Create a new menu file, mode B
By using the "Save..." button( right side of "Save" button) at the toolbar, we can create menu file from an existing
directory. Within the prompt dialog, here:

"Directory" - source directory
“Target file” - target menu file's full path
“Volume” - volume name will be displayed in the left pane of Avlsys when it open.

Example

Let's suppose we want to modify the /airboot/splash.gz (that's the splash screen). 1st, open it with Avlsys, we can see there are 3 files: one is the

back-ground image, one is the infinity image. Then, let's extract them to the c:\airboot. Edit them.

now, let's create a new menu file, and then drag&drop those files to the list view. finally, "save" them to a file. O.K. the new splash is ready!

Special Note

If you know Linux well, you can get to know the aero menu file is just a ziped/gziped romfs file. Yes, the conclusion is, we can use Avlsys to browse

the Linux Kernel's initrd file. For my own knowledge, the Acronis used this traditional loading method in its product.

And now, the menu file of Aero is not mystery!

>> this tool will be included in the incoming new version AeroStudio 2008.

snap.JPG

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

Very good work, I'm sure more people will one day share my opinion and appreciate the quality of your developments.

This does unravel the menu files.

Looking forward for the 2008 edition of AeroStudio! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users