Modification to "Multiboot CD (LiveXP,Ghost ....) Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:1_Making Unattended and Customized XP<br /><br />2_Making different types of Bootable and Multiboot CD/DVD<br /><br />3_Like to learn more about grub and grub4DOS
  •  
    Iran

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:53 PM

===========================================================================
Modification to "Multiboot CD (LiveXP,Ghost ....) Tutorial
(Graphical Boot Managing)

Hi All friends
Hi to My dears Numo and ispy that allways help me and make me to
learn more. This modifications are made by therir mentions.
----------------------------------------------------------------

When i wrote Tutorial "Multiboot CD (LiveXP,Ghost 11 , PM8) By Aero Studio" ,Link bellow:

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4578

there was an neglection by me.Befor writing this tutor,i have made The same project and all tests
was OK.So i wrote this tutorial in the same way,but ther was a difference
with LiveXP used in 1st try and this one,in first try i have used Retogo
liveCD,and in this tutor i used Winbulder LiveCD.

I did not know that there are differences between these 2 live CDs,so i did
not checked it.

Some friends told me that my live cd section of tutorial does not work,so i
tested and see they are right.

I am very sorry,so go as below to make it work.Note that addresses in lines
below are with respect to Tutor above:

1_ When working with Aero,for liveXP give command bellow:

bcdw (cd)/myxp/setupldr.bin

2_ Make Directory MyXP in Air Menus directory,ant copy setupldr.bin from
D:\XXX \i386 directory inside MyXP folder.

3_Rename Your i386 directory (D:\XXX \i386) to MyXP.

4_The other process are the same as tutor.

-------------------------------------------------
I checked it worked very well in virtual machine

If there was a problem let me know please.
-------------------------------------------------

thats all

shirin

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

Suggestion:
Add link to the old Tutorial thread.

#3 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:1_Making Unattended and Customized XP<br /><br />2_Making different types of Bootable and Multiboot CD/DVD<br /><br />3_Like to learn more about grub and grub4DOS
  •  
    Iran

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

Suggestion:
Add link to the old Tutorial thread.

===============================================
Hi Dear TheHive

Thank you for your mention,

I did it

have fun

shirin

#4 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

;)

#5 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

Hi Shirin...

It is about your tutorial of multiboot CDROM. I couldn't got it to work. I followed all the instruction in your post..( including all the sample names of folder, ISO image name. When i boot the machine to CDROM and click the "LiveXP" buttons, it start but says.."NTLDR is corropt, system will shutdown!
Where did I go wrong? The ISO file which I made from WB74 version will run smoothly in CDROM. This is also where I get the "LiveXP" directory folder. So I wonder why does it won't work. Is it a Bug of AERO 07?

Anyway I'll just leave for a while. if i can't get it.

My problem is if you can help me with this, "bootable CDROM purely in DOS mode". I know its just a piece of cake of yours and to all developers out there.
I have bunch of DOS CDROM working but when I used it in external "USB CDRAM" drive..(not CDROM) in a LAPTOP or DESKTOP w/o a CDROM.. it cannot display or I cannot see the content of my whole CD, (in the USB CDRAM of course). Only display the content of A:\ drive. (It is a floppy emulation)

Is there any post about this problem?

Orrrr can anybody try to help me with this simple probz of mine.

I tried "GRUB for Dos.. but I really don't got it to work. It is because i'm not a programmer cuz some term in Grub's tutorial is.. I couldn't understand. (say,, the syntax, the commands & other terms)

I'll just hoping you (Shirin) or anybody (out there) can help me with this simple tools.

I'll just want to BOOT in DOS Mode and used the "Ghost, ATIS, ADDS, and some DOS utilities. I craving this tools because of fast booting, especially in LOW memory and older models units.

And thats all Folks. THANK in advance.....

ARIOM "D' Guy who never used to cry"

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

Let's make a deal. :)

You explain to me what the heck is a (USB) CDRAM (links to manufacturer, to some technical specs, or the like).

And I will try to show you how to use grub4dos to make a bootable "floppy emulation" or "no-emulation" CD. :(

jaclaz

#7 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hello Jaclas...

He...Heeee. Ok. Y you said Deal? You wouldn't, do you?
Well, The brand Name : Samsung.. Model: SE-S184 and in its Templates, its say..External DVD Writer. In the manual it said that it is a CDRAM Drive.
Well... I notice that it burn the DVD_Double layer faster than an ordinary DVD CDROM Drive (The IDE or the SATA drive) Its almost a kilo in weight. and I'd really like this stuff.

This is only the info i got from this unit.

Or maybe this TEMPLATE is only a product strategy to entice a customer.

How i wish, if I had a digi cam, take a picture of it (in micro shot) and post it here.

Anyway.. THANKS for the QUICK reply.....

#8 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Sorry I forgot this...

In the package carton, it say ... DVD Writer (Super-WriteMaster)
and it has "LightScribe" feature printed on it.
DVD-RAM 12X
DVD-DL 8X
DVD-R 8X

Well...here it is for more info as visual aid.
in the "Windows Explorer" see this..(I don't know how to upload the image) Sorry for this really.
it is on Drive F:\

Attached Thumbnails

• DVDRAM.png

#9 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hey Jaclas..

I hope my post reply would satisfy you.
Thats all I can give. About for the manufacturer site. I don't have any idea.
It only said in the template.. Designed by: Toshiba Samsung Ltd.
and thats it no site is given.

Again I hope my ff post is understood. THANKS again

Ariom...............

#10 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:09 PM

Hey Jaclas..

I hope my post reply would satisfy you.
Thats all I can give. About for the manufacturer site. I don't have any idea.
It only said in the template.. Designed by: Toshiba Samsung Ltd.
and thats it no site is given.

Again I hope my ff post is understood. THANKS again

Ariom...............

HI Arion

I have read your note in post#5 but i could not understand the problem or problems very well.
So lets start as below:

1.LiveXP
---------
Your Question:"where I get the "LiveXP" directory folder".

Answer:Suppose that you have placed your WinBuilder.exe in C: (you have C:\WinBuilder\WinBuilder.exe).
now if you run "WinBuilder.exe" to make LiveXP.ISO,and if you accept the the default patchs for output
files,at the end of process (when LiveXP.ISO is created),you will see that program has made sof files
and directories in "C:\WinBuilder\" directory as below:

C:\WinBuilder\ISO\LiveXP.iso
C:\WinBuilder\Target\LiveXP\ "This directory is what you want and includes all needed files to make ISO".

Notes:
-------
A. I think It is better to use window 2003 sp1 as a source in this kind of projects (instead of win XP).
if you use window 2003 sp1,Most of the times you will not have NTLDR errores.

B.Do not forget to test "C:\WinBuilder\ISO\LiveXP.iso",befor using "C:\WinBuilder\Target\LiveXP\"

directory
for your work.

2.Bootable CDROM
------------------
Your request:"I'll just want to BOOT in DOS Mode and used the "Ghost.....)

Answer:There are a lot of easy ways to do this.You can burn and use Winbuilder LiveXP ISO or BartPE ISO
(of course you should make your needed files that you want to work with them inside this ISO,s before
making and burning them).

Another easy way is using Boot CD Wizard,try it.i think it will be what you want.

3. USB
--------
Making Bootable USB is very easy please take a look at link below about making that:

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=6116

and there is some more links in Tutorial page for making and using USB (Ofcourse i do not like
bootable usb because most of the times it takes about half an hour to boot).

4. grub4dos
------------
I think "jaclaz" is the best one to help you.

If you think i could not understand your needs tell me more

have nice times

shirin zaban

#11 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:21 PM

@shirin and @ARIOM

I think :) we need to clarify some stuff about moving around folder i386, especially if renaming folder i386.

Folder i386 should as first choice be copied to the root of your CD/DVD build. You can change name to whatever 4-letters name you like to this folder i386, but to get this work, we need to hex edit two files. And those are:
1. setupldr.bin in folder i386 (in Target\LiveXP)
2. bootsect.bin in folder Target\LiveXP

@shirin “I think It is better to use window 2003 sp1” You may have right there, but there are some problems related to use 2003 sp1 as source. It’s related to that setupldr.bin gets corrupt if you try to hex edit this file :( I know for sure we can do some “hacking” to setupldr.bin and make it possible to hex edit file without problems. But to avoid this “workaround” I suggest using winXP-sp2 as source.

I have very quickly (hope it’s not to “quickly”) made a tutorial how to hex edit folder i386 and file bootsect.bin

Tutorial here
More hex edit here

@shirin still using basic stuff in your tutorial according to AeroStudio. Thanks!

yggdrasil

#12 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Shirin & yggdrasil..THANKS,

To yggdrasil..

You're right in Win2k3 SP1. I already used it in building WB, since WB71 up to 73, I encounter so many probs when using it, so I used XPRO SP2 as a source then in building WB74 & the trial 75beta's....

And about your Stuff “test in Qemu-script” in the Link.. I downloaded it already 3 days ago, I did not use it yet for lack of time. Maybe sometime.

I have 8pcs of USB sticks.. (1, 2, 4, & 8 gig) I was able to boot 1gig with BartPe, 2gig with LiveXP & 4gig with LiveXP-RAM (BOOTSDI). The other 4gig & 8gig is DOS bootable. The remaining 2pcs of 4gigs & 1pcs of 8gig is XPPRO SP2 installer and some backup & other STUFFS..
The problem in "UFD" is, These bootable UFD's when used in some other machine, will not boot anymore. (Of course I changed the BIOS settings to boot in USB). I didn't bother to why beacuse its time consuming. Maybe the BIOS must be upgraded. And I have a PBOBIA in upgrading the BIOS because one of my PIII units was not usable anymore after I upgraded it.

To Shirin...

Yes your right...

I have a directory of C:\WB74. I burned the LiveXP.ISO from ISO folder. And it booted graciously. So I used the C:\WB74\Target\LiveXP directory folder as mention in your tutorial. I really followed the tutorial and in fact, I did the making 4 times. The other 2nd button which is the Ghost11 is not working. When I press that button.. Look the attachment pls. It just stayed there. But my PC was not hanging nor the QEMU window.
Anyway its a GOOD tutorial.. maybe I should do a thorough experiment for it!!!

As I said above that I was able to boot from UFD already in Bart, LiveXP and DOS. But some PC will not boot from it. In Booting to CDROM I did not encounter any problem. It booted to any machine including the PII units. (of course I used BartPe in units with 64 mb memory, 256 and above I used LiveXP).

It only came to my mind that I should have a bootable CDROM in DOS mode because of fast booting time. And I want to used it in my portable USB CDRAM drive because I always encounter a unit that its CDROM was not functioning anymore. Using the bootable UFD is not useful to some machine/units, but by using the bootable CD its really working.

Only I want in DOS mode beacuse if I used the LiveXP, through my portable USB CDRAM drive, it boots from 5 to 8 minutes, somtimes 15minutes to older machine, especially if I used BartPE.
While in bootable CD (in DOS mode), it boots in 2 to 3 seconds only. But because it is a floppy emulation, it display only the contents of "A:\" , I cannot access the whole contents of the CD, so I cannot use some DOS programs.. say.. the Ghost and others.. Its no used if the machine has no CD drive or not functioning at all. Only through USB port where I can fix or install a fresh OS.

Anyway.. I want to try the "Boot CD Wizard" you've said. Where can I find or download from it? Any site you can give or recommend?

Again THANKS to both of you...

Ariom

Attached Thumbnails

• Ghost11.png

#13 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

@Ariom

I’m unsure what you mean :) . Tutorial regarding hexedit folder i386 (here) has nothing to do with USB or UDF or any USB device at all. If you are going to use AeroStudio with several (different) folders with same name (i386) from any CD/DVD you have to change name to folder i386. AeroStudio is basically only a kind of “boot-manager”.

But I’m unsure how this works using USB connected CD/DVD-reader. But to my knowledge you probably need to use folder “i386-approach” and if having several of this, you have to change name to folders and do your hex editing. Note: you can always use one folder with name i386, but that’s quite obvious.
On the other hand, if there is a simple workaround for this, please let me now.

Let’s give two examples to clarify.
First: You want one build of “Winbuilder LiveXP” on your CD/DVD and on same CD/DVD another build with Winternal ERD (this one also uses folder i386). You can not only change name to folders and give some bcdw command to start this different “op-systems”. You have to hex edit at least one of them. I suggest you hex edit LiveXP (built with WinXP-sp2 as source). This has nothing to do with USB devices or USB-stick-Thumbdrives. If there is a simple workaround for this, please let me now.

Secondly: You cannot start folder i386 directly from USB device (USB connected harddisk) or from USB-stick-Thumbdrives, in this case you have to change name on folder i386 to minint (tutorial here). And to have several different i386-folders (minint-folders) you have to change name on minint to something else with 6-letters name and do your hex edit stuff to several files showed in second tutorial. This last example is directly related to USB devices (USB connected harddisk) or USB-stick-Thumbdrives, and has nothing to do with first example (running folder i386 from CD/DVD). You need to separate these two approaches from each other. If there is a simple workaround for this, please let me now.

You seem to have the hardware to test it out, I don't own :( such a hardware to test this stuff at present time.

edit
To avoid mixing it up :( . If your choice is to only use one folder i386 then no need to hex edit anything. Hex edit is only necessary when using several i386-folders (just to clarify).
My main point is what I wrote in first replay: Folder i386 should as first choice be copied to the root of your CD/DVD build.

edit2
Quote ” PIII units was not usable anymore after I upgraded it.” How about reset cmos?

regards yggdrasil

#14 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

Thank yggdrasil!!!

I really appreciated your given advice/tips and the "site". I'll give it a try. Its another good site to browse I think. I "bookmark it!!!.

And with regards to my PIII units..well it will power up and can still run in DOS mode , and can still detect a Hard Drive, but when I install a new OS (XP 0r 98SE), it will not continue to boot, only a BSOD, "BIOS setting is incorrect". I tried to "Load the default setting" in its bios setup, but still no used. My friend of mine say that the BIOS was erased by the VIRUS. May he's right. So I junk it then. But now. I want to repair it. if I have spare time....

Anyway, so much for that, the Site you've given really gives me a Rinnnng... :) I want to try it.
I'll PM you the result or post it here. Just give me 3 days..He...he..and MERRY CHRISTMAS in advance....

PS..Can I used the "AERO07" to make a bootable CDRom in DOS mode w/o a "Floppy Emulation?

..............I'm craving for it guys........and I really NEED it!!!!. :(

THANKS again for your time in answering my post.

Ariom

To Jaclas... :(

Hey Guy.. you promise me by making a DEAL to help me!! HE....he...he
Does my INFO was not satisfactory to you? Or very busy. Well, maybe I guess..
THANKS anyway and CU SOON guy.

#15 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

@Ariom

I have modified my USB-Grub-ISO-script to a new version with name: USB-Grub-IMAGE-script. Put script in Winbuilder\Projects\LiveXP

Script is designed to load one floppy image to USB device (USB stick or Thumbdrive).
You can use your Ghost image or any other bootable image, but only one.
Download from here
Test and check if your ghost image (or whatever image) starts from USB device (stick)

Hot news: I have in position an USB-harddrive-adapter. It supports both IDE and Sata units.
I used this in combination with one spare CD/DVD-reader. Rebooted and modified BIOS to boot from USB-CD-reader – and to my surprise, it booted from this USB connected CD/DVD-unit. I tested with my AeroStudio-ISO file and it works like a dream.

It seems that there shouldn’t be any problem to start from USB-CD/DVD-reader and using AeroStudio-ISO :)

yggdrasil

#16 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

My Goolly,,,

I think it solve my probs. I'll try it. THANKS "yggdrasil"
I'll post it if get it to work guys. How I wish I could contribute something for this SITE.. :)

Thanks for you time... :( I'll start to build my project now but in minimum apps.

Ariom...

#17 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

yggdrasil..

You mean I only put your new "USB-Grub-ISO-script" to here..(Winbuilder\Projects\LiveXP) not in any subfolder in Winbuilder\Projects\LiveXP\Apps\..? :)

I hope I'm right...just for clarification guys!!!

#18 Shirin Zaban

Shirin Zaban

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 423 posts
  •  
    Iran

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Hi Ariom

Bootable CD wizard is very nice program.i have used v1.50 several times ,all the time worked OK.

All of my friends say that version 2 is better.

Note that this program is used as part of Aero too.

any way youcan download bcdw201a at link below:

http://bcdw.wolfgang...ds/bcdw201a.rar

and instruction to use in link below:

http://bcdw.wolfgang...b5_bcdw2_e.html

bcdw 1.50 in:

http://bcdw.wolfgang...cdw/index_e.htm

and it's instruction in :

http://bcdw.wolfgang...bcdw/bcdw_e.htm

Hope it will be the one that you are looking for.

have nice times

shirin zaban

#19 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Good Day Shirin!!

I'll try this stuff if it bring any good. cause it almost made me crazy and maybe "JEALOUS" of why you GUYS got it working while I can't make it, not even so close to make it working. Is it because of some hardware probs in my unit? or whatever it is I will not be discourage. or it's bcuz, I'm not a programmer then.

Anyway I'll try it after I try of what yggdrasil is advising...in his reply

THANKS to both of you now. Have a nice day/days, months or years... :)

Ariom

#20 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

@Ariom

You mean I only put your new "USB-Grub-ISO-script" to here..(Winbuilder\Projects\LiveXP) not in any subfolder in Winbuilder\Projects\LiveXP\Apps\..? :)

Yes that's all you need to do, and ofcourse restart your winbuilder :(

yggdrasil

#21 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:03 PM

yggdrasil,

Cool site, good instructions and great tools! Thanks!! :)

#22 yggdrasil

yggdrasil

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

@amalux

Take especially attention to how you set "physically connected hard disks" and in beginning of running my scripts, check “Run script in safe mode” as a precaution :( so I don’t get nervous :(

yggdrasil

#23 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

@Ariom

So, no "CDRAM" :), only a normal DVD drive/burner with DVD-RAM capabilities....:(:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/DVD_formats

DVD-RAM (current specification is version 2.1): 2.6 GB, 4.7 GB or 9.4 GB (double-sided) discs compatible with only a small proportion of other-format DVD drives. DVD-RAM discs were originally typically housed in a cartridge, though these are now less commonly required. Discs can be removed from their caddy and used in compatible standard-tray drives. Rewritable many more times than other rewritable formats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-RAM

jaclaz

#24 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Gud pm jaclas!!

I see now.. You're right about that :) Well, I have not much info about this Stuff, and thanks for the link site as my "FYI"...

BTW.. I'll try "yggdrasil" advice, and also from shirin...IT's good to have two different procedure I think. I hope both of this help me alot. :(

#25 Ariom

Ariom

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

To Shirin & yggdrasil,

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO... :) I GOT IT!!!

I used the "AERO07.iso" image (from shirin tutorials) in yggdrasil site
It runs in USB stick (2gig pqi). But I was only able to make the two ISO's to RUN..
the "LiveXP & Acronis ADDS/ATIS". I couldn't do the DOS..(my Gosh).
But yggdrasil, how can I transfer this from USB stick or thumdrive to CD-R disc?
Is there any possibilities to have a "Script" like "USB-Grub-IMAGE-script" to Say.."CD-Grub-Image"? (Just a suggestion guy..He..he..).

Anyway, you (Shirin & yggdrasil) had given me a "Hook w/ a Beat" for fishing, and it's my job now to do a fishing. :( I'll study those Link-Site & Tutorials you given me.

THANK YOU so much to both of you...

To Jaclaz..

Hi again. Could I ask a favor if you can give me a simple "Tutorial/s" in GRUB? :(
All I just want to do is to make a bootable CDR/W to boot in DOS mode (W/o emulation) so that
I can used it in my external USB CD/DVD drive (not RAM as what you said) to a unit
without a physical CD drive. Because the one that I have now is a "Floppy Emulation".
because When I booted it in external USB CD drive and type a command (A:\> Dir) it display only the DOS contents in A:\ drive, not the whole contents of the CD, cuz its a floppy emulated.

THANKS in advance....Have a NICE days to ALL of you out there!!!!

Ariom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users