Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)

;)

Mikorist

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

nuno_desktop.jpg

Windows Vista Home edition

Does Vista counts as a non-microsoft OS? I only use it because it came as default on the laptop..

At work I'm using ubuntu 8.04 along with virtual box for emulating windows machines.

;)

#3 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Hi, I'm running a InnoTek VirtualBox for running Vista inside of Kubuntu.

Where i work part of my job is Vista support from Broadband ISP...

I perssonaly think after a year of crashes and problems with Vista and knowing what I know now, I probably would not go
back to Windows in whatever variant it has ;)

Professionally speaking i really do love Windows-how to Make my Money without Windows??

Which side I am? I'm a LINUX supporter and wanna see more desktop users believe in what i believe...(but i wanna preach them based on intellectual arguments not emotion).

:thumbup:

Mikorist

#4 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Linux is not not harder to use--Linux is just different--unique and simple.
The hardest part of moving someone from Windows to Linux is
mental--it takes time ...

If you wish Linux to be just exactly like Windows, you will probably be disappointed.
When I started using Linux, I really be prepared for it and i liked it.

"Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it." — Mark Twain;

or

"Tell the truth and run." — Serbian proverb.

;)

Mikorist

#5 jazs

jazs
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Afghanistan

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

Which side I am?

I'm a LINUX supporter too.

If you wish Linux to be just exactly like Windows, you will probably be disappointed.

Yes, You will be disappointed.
Linux has a really good brain, but the BODY just borrow from M$ (Hardwares).

I think "Godson-dragon chip" is the best alternative for linux to grow & to have own identity.

#6 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

cube.jpg

Sabayon Linux 3.5

;)

Mikorist

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:04 PM

Linux has one advantage, it's open source.
And one disadvantage, everybody fiddels with it, even people who should not let near source code! ;)

Isn't it strange, Linux the OS that relies to a big part on typing commands, can't be run in GUI mode without a mouse, while Windows, the OS designed for two handed mouse pushers, can do so without problem!?

Isn't it strange, Linux sports now desktops that have more gimmicks than Vistas, yet the configuration menus are still worst than Win3.1 ones!?

Isn't it strange, Linux comes in a 'million' flavors and not one can detect old and new hardware equally good!?

Isn't it strange, Linux users complain about bloated Windows, yet when a Linux has exactly the same features, it's much bigger!?

Just in case you're wondering, i use both systems.
Well not really, i use QNX.
But if i have the choice, i prefer using XP over any other flavor of OS.

#8 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

In a completely superficial way of comparing two OS's, my ubuntu machine runs with all possible visual gimmick under 512Mb of RAM and if I compare that to my Vista laptop I'd be using 1Gb of RAM and still "feel" it slow and heavy.

All hardware worked out of the box except for USB devices such as the UMTS web link, eventually worked this out by installing virtual box and running XP inside to use the host USB devices.

Also found that you can use keyboard shortcuts, the only pesky detail is that they are by default a bit different from windows standard but you can still configure them yourself if you like.

My favourite one is WINKEY + M to minimize all open windows.

If my wife had let me buy a 8Gb RAM quad-core machine to use around the house then I wouldn't doubt about exclusively using ubuntu as the base OS and run XP or Vista as emulated machines, guess I'll have to wait a bit more.. ;)

I'm just plain disappointed about Vista, IE 7 and Office 2007 and see these OS's as a real working alternative.

Ubuntu is getting more user friendly than ever before, you should really try out their latest version.

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:13 PM

In a completely superficial way of comparing two OS's, my ubuntu machine runs with all possible visual gimmick under 512Mb of RAM and if I compare that to my Vista laptop I'd be using 1Gb of RAM and still "feel" it slow and heavy.

Install DRM into your ubuntu and it will become just as slugish! :thumbup:

btw. If you want fast and responsive, try QNX. Nothing beats a real time OS which can, at least some time ago, fit on a floppy, complete with desktop, browser and a few games

Ubuntu is getting more user friendly than ever before, you should really try out their latest version.

Thanks, i have enough people who periodicly resommend to try Ubuntu, because the 'new version' is a huge step forward.
So i give the Ubuntu liveCD a spin once in a while.
Usually break off before i see the desktop.
If they can't even create a decent liveCD setup, what are the chances of them creatring a decent OS?

;)

#10 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:27 PM

My favourite one is WINKEY + M to minimize all open windows.

Maybe I should add such a feature to SetResolution?

#11 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:05 AM

;) Try winkey + D!

#12 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:25 AM

It works! Sorry, I was assuming that hotkey wasn't functioning in PE like Taskmanager CTRL + Shift + ESC isn't.

Regards,
Galapo.

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

It works! Sorry, I was assuming that hotkey wasn't functioning in PE like Taskmanager CTRL + Shift + ESC isn't

Have no idea why this happens. All the needed files should be in place. ;)
Though maybe, it has something to do with replacing M$gina???

#14 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:41 PM

Install DRM into your ubuntu and it will become just as slugish! ;)

Freedom has a nice taste.. :thumbup:

btw. If you want fast and responsive, try QNX. Nothing beats a real time OS which can, at least some time ago, fit on a floppy, complete with desktop, browser and a few games

I remember the days when it came out but that was the demo disk - the OS itself is not free.

For the sake of free development I would rather use something like menuetOS, which also includes a browser, http servers, a few games, is written in assembler (fast) and fits on a floppy.. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Thanks, i have enough people who periodicly resommend to try Ubuntu, because the 'new version' is a huge step forward.
So i give the Ubuntu liveCD a spin once in a while.
Usually break off before i see the desktop.
If they can't even create a decent liveCD setup, what are the chances of them creatring a decent OS?

Strange, on my hardware it boots fine and I've been using on several machines for some time now.

The only one that didn't worked was a Pentium 2 MMX @ 233Mhz with 128Mb of RAM but perhaps I should have settled for something more appropriate like Deli.

Maybe someday you find one that works.. :thumbup:

No need whatsoever but I appreciate the kind offer, it's just something that doesn't come as default and causes some difference at the beginning.

With compiz I'm a bit spoiled with good treats - moving the mouse to one of the corners causes all visible windows get hidden (a bit like OSX does).

:clap:

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

I remember the days when it came out but that was the demo disk - the OS itself is not free.

Those who come too late, get punished by life! :thumbup:
QNX used to be free for personal use for a couple of years. That's where i have my copy from.
With some luck, you might still find the iso somewhere on the net. It used to be still available, for a long time after the promotion ended, on tucows.

For the sake of free development I would rather use something like menuetOS, which also includes a browser, http servers, a few games, is written in assembler (fast) and fits on a floppy.. ;)

Tryed it last a couple of years ago, is it usable now?

#16 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

QNX is available for Free for non-commercial scopes:
http://www.qnx.com/p...s/getmomentics/

this said,

@all

Are you trying to establish a record in thread hijacking? :thumbup:

This thread is about Other OS SCREENHOTS, NOT "General discussion about what other OS is better" ;)

jaclaz

#17 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

You're right! ;)

No need to call Guinness to evaluate our thread hijacking effort.. :thumbup:

New topic started here: http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4865

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users