3 replies to this topic

#1 perilsensitive

perilsensitive
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:25 AM

I can successfully start grub4dos from either grub or via kexec without problems. It gets to the grub menu quickly, but when I try to use it to boot linux, the kernel takes a *lot* longer to load than it does when booting via grub (not grub4dos). I've also noticed it when trying to boot FreeBSD, only that takes a VERY long time to boot, approximately 3-5 minutes. Again, the same configuration works fine from grub, booting in about 30-60 seconds. Once the OS has booted though, everything runs at normal speed.

I'm wondering if the BIOS disk routines are what's running slow here.

This problem occurs when booting grub4dos from grub or when booting via kexec. I have not yet tried putting grub4dos in the MBR, but I can try it if necessary.

#2 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:03 AM

What version are you using? Have you tried the latest ones?

#3 tinybit

tinybit

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1175 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:27 AM

It is a long-standing problem that should have been solved with the latest 2008-05-22 build found here at http://grub4dos.jot.com/

The CPU cache was mistakenly disabled, and this could slow down the boot process. After an OS gains control, the OS itself could re-enable the CPU cache so the system could run normally.

Thanks for your report, perilsensitive.

#4 perilsensitive

perilsensitive
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

It is a long-standing problem that should have been solved with the latest 2008-05-22 build found here at http://grub4dos.jot.com/

The CPU cache was mistakenly disabled, and this could slow down the boot process. After an OS gains control, the OS itself could re-enable the CPU cache so the system could run normally.

Thanks for your report, perilsensitive.

No problem. The version I was using was 0.4.3-2008-05-02. I'll try the new build and see how it goes. Thanks.

Edit: I tried the 2008-05-22 build. Booting works at normal speed now. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users