18 replies to this topic

#1 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

i have looked and read a lot of things on here AND OTHER PLACES

I do NOT want to use the GLDR on my USB stick...

I think this is a cleaner way of making a BOOTABLE USB DEVICE
ITS CLEANER AND MUSH SIMPLER TO UNDERSTAND
THIS HAS WORKED EVERYTIME!
Boot from USB

HOW CAN I GET TO THE ISO DIR AND COPY
DIR - BOOT & EFI & SOURCES & FILE - BOOTMGR

THIS WILL ALLOW ME TO JUST COPY THE FILES AND DIRs THAT I NEED ..

CAN WE STOP THE BUILD A CERTAIN POINT TO HAVE THIS INFO?????

IS THIS POSSIBLE?

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:17 AM

@twindude

Please do check the link you posted, it takes nowhere.

Please avoid using CAPITAL LETTERS, it looks like you are shouting at us, someting we do not particularly appreciate.

From what I can understand from your post (not much, really) without having access to the linked to resource/example, I don't get what you actually need.

Do you want to remove the grub4dos booting?

The easiest way should be that of building your stick normally along the tested and workng procedure, then once everything is ok, replace grldr booting with another loader/MBR/bootsector (whichever applies).

If you post some more details I may be able to help you in this.

The alternative would be to modify the VistaPE .script, something you will need to learn some of the Winbuilder .script syntax and be prepare to a lot of troubleshooting/testing.

jaclaz

#3 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

sorry

here is the link

http://www.vistapcguy.net/?p=71

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10554 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hi twindude, are you sure that the link you posted is easier to understand?

You only need diskpart that comes by default inside Vista or Windows AIK.

Valentin has best explained the steps here: http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1123

---------------

You use Grub4Dos as an option to allow multibooting of other OS's on the same Media - not required if you only need a single OS on your boot disk.

:lol:

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 May 2008 - 12:22 PM

Provided that the grub4dos settings in VistaPE (which I do not know) are for booting First Active Primary partition, all you have to do is to use MBRFIX:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4476
to replace the MBR with the original Vista one, then use bootsect.exe /NT60 (some details here):
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20089

to replace the botsector with one invoking BOOTMGR.

Of course the settings for BOOTMGR must be correct.

An other option could be that of creating the normal VistaPE project on USB, copy all the files temporarily to a harddisk, re-format the USB stick with diskpart as indicated in the guide you linked to, then restore back the files to the USB stick.

jaclaz

#6 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

thanks for the replies

i will play around some more...

was thinking there was a setting or switch to just boot in the shell i want to use.. NO mulitboot options..just straight to the shell

i use BS explore and CANNOT get the login screen to work........even come up......so i'm thinking its the muti-boot stuff.... oh wellie

#7 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

thanks for the replies

i will play around some more...

was thinking there was a setting or switch to just boot in the shell i want to use.. NO mulitboot options..just straight to the shell

i use BS explore and CANNOT get the login screen to work........even come up......so i'm thinking its the muti-boot stuff.... oh wellie

AFAIK, VistaPE's TargetDir is the folder from which the .iso is built - after moving 'Windows\' and 'Program Files\' to '%BootTMP%' and capturing them to the '%TargetDir%\sources\boot.wim'.

Also:
FileCopy,"%targetdir%\BOOTMGR","%BootTMP%\BOOTMGR"
?

Maybe have look at the TargetDir and see what you need to change.

Regards :lol:

#8 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:06 PM

@allanf

i'm not sure i follow you..

so i should change my targetdir in the the tool (winbuilder) under paths?

then capturing them to the boot.wim? recompile some how?

#9 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:59 PM

... so i should change my targetdir in the the tool (winbuilder) under paths?

The targetdir is robocopied to the USB. I think you need bootmgr in the root... the snippet I posted earlier is from VistaPE, where bootmgr is moved from the root and actually captured in the boot.wim... not sure why?

I believe that the targetdir is preserved... (maybe a checkbox somewhere)... after VistaPE is run. So, you can have a look at it... personally, I wouldn't know what to look for.. it seemes that bootmgr is in the wrong place if you want just plain old standard winpe booting.

turing them to the boot.wim? recompile some how?

I think that the boot.wim is ok... sorry I don't use VistaPE anymore - no Vista DVD.

#10 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

thanks... let me see what i can figure out
it is preserved and copied somewhere but i think that is up to you based on the targetdir location you choose in winbuilder
this is the dir where the PE is built and make changes to before compiling......adds/changes and so on

in regular WinPE you can just copy the ISO dir that is used to compile the build......and yes boomgr will need to be in the root

also you can get a this here and build VistaPE for free........

The targetdir is robocopied to the USB. I think you need bootmgr in the root... the snippet I posted earlier is from VistaPE, where bootmgr is moved from the root and actually captured in the boot.wim... not sure why?

I believe that the targetdir is preserved... (maybe a checkbox somewhere)... after VistaPE is run. So, you can have a look at it... personally, I wouldn't know what to look for.. it seemes that bootmgr is in the wrong place if you want just plain old standard winpe booting.

I think that the boot.wim is ok... sorry I don't use VistaPE anymore - no Vista DVD.

#11 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

thanks... let me see what i can figure out

The targetdir is/was usually something like 'C:\winbuilder\Target\VistaPE'... I think that something else may be renamed as bootmgr - an imposter ... :lol: ... not sure!

also you can get a this here and build VistaPE for free........

... hmmm. Click my signature and you'll have that and a whole lot more... :thumbup: ...

Regards

#12 janneman

janneman
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

I do NOT want to use the GLDR on my USB stick...

I think this is a cleaner way of making a BOOTABLE USB DEVICE

I felt the same way - creating a bootable USB looks so straightforward in the WAIK help files, or in places like http://www.vistapcguy.net/?p=71. Why do we need grub4dos, why do we need hpusbfw?

So I developed the attached script. You can use it as a replacement for the default "Copy to USB-device" script. It does away with grub4dos, it does away with hpusbfw and it lets you create your bootable USB stick by-the-book, using only the diskpart commands as documented in the WAIK help files.

My script, like the standard "Copy to USB-device" script, takes the USB device's drive letter as input. It can run completely unattended, but you probably want to leave the "Prompt User" checkbox enabled. With this, you'll be shown info about the device about to be reformatted, you'll be warned if it doesn't look like a USB memory stick, you'll be shown the diskpart script before it is run and you can abort if you don't trust things. All of this is meant to make it a bit harder to accidentally reformat the wrong drive.

I did have to throw in a little program of mine: GetDriveInfo.exe. This is needed because diskpart requires a disk number whereas my script, like the default "Copy to USB-device" script, lets you specify a drive letter.

To use the script, copy it to the finalize folder of the VistaPE project. Uncheck the "Copy to USB-Device" script and check the new script ("Copy to USB-Device using DiskPart").

Attached Files

#13 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10554 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:32 PM

Excellent scripting! ;)

Would you please (re)post this script in a separate topic?

#14 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for the script. No usage for Grub, That sounds good.

#15 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

@ janneman

thanks..
testing now...

this will be awesome...

now need to get it to directly boot to BS Explorer and BSLogon

#16 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:01 PM

this is great........works

however is it possible to start the bsexplorer instead of Shell Swapper?

Under shell i have bsexplorer only checked...

#17 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:06 PM

FWIW, I have good reason to believe that Shell Swapper will disappear from VistaPE soon, to be replaced by NightMan's own version.

#18 twindude

twindude

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:22 PM

oK

so does this mean if you do not need mutiple shells you can boot in to a Default of your choice?

that is what some of us are looking for.... Nice to have

i use bs explorer with bslogon so i can protect it with a password and kill date... which is needed for some of us to be protected

#19 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:35 PM

Just to keep things as together as possible, the new thread about janneman's .script is here:

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21186

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users