booting up from cardreader

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcom

kcom

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

I have an internal cardreader in my comp. I`ve done also some successfully booting from USB flash drives and USB hard drives.

My BIOS offeres an extra option to boot up from cardreader. Like normal I have formated the card with the HP Drive Key, no error so far. But no matter which boot option I chose in BIOS, I can`t boot from the sd card.

It`s kinda strange. Guess an external USB cardreader could work better, but I would like to get work the internal one and not to waste money.

Anyone has also such an internal cardreader? And an idea why it doesn`t boot?

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:15 PM

I doubt an external cardreader can be made bootable, or at least maybe only some of them. :lol:

Speaking of laptop internal ones, last attempt I know of was made for Toshiba, see this:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20314

where it worked, at least partially.

jaclaz

#3 kcom

kcom

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

It`s a desktop computer but I don`t think there is much difference.

The Toshiba format tool does not work for my controller. It doesn`t recognize the cardreader.

I am quite familiar with the grub4dos install or the ntdetect install method. Works for USB flash drives.

But somehow the cardreader does not boot. There error is from BIOS disk failure, same as there would be no bootable device at all.

#4 kcom

kcom

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Here is my new speculation. The cardreader is a X in 1 multicardreader. The desktop computer is made by some usual manufacture. Them didn`t test in detail and booting from cardreader is very detail since less then 10 % of their costumers may bother with such special topics.

The multicardreader does not comply any standards and does not support booting. The BIOS does support booting from standard cardreaders, maybe single cardreaders, portable devices you do plug into and USB slot.

#5 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:58 AM

Some internal card readers (e.g. Realtek) are USB 2.0 device. If the BIOS did not offer booting from the internal card reader, you can use PLoP boot manager to boot from USB (it will find the USB 2.0 card reader, I tested this successfully) :
http://ubcd4win.com/...showtopic=12620

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users