Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

first i did this:

Copy to the root of stick the files:
1) NTLDR (from your current XP OS install or from source CD)
2) NTDETECT.COM (from your current XP OS install or from source CD)
3) a BOOT.INI file, the one you have in root of your hard disk will do, and edit it to have this contents:

after this, it doesnt seem to boot into my usb. ie i get stuck here

NB:i did this step "HP USB Format utility as per FAQ #4 here as FAT, not FAT32, not NTFS:"

with FAT32, as FAT was not in the dropdown list.

The version here gives FAT as an option ;)

Note, you will be prompted to un-install the other version first if installing to default "C:\DriveKey"

#77 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:14 AM

Wait, maybe I've found where the misunderstanding happened.

@tom
You are trying to do the fdisk/formatting on an external USB Hard Disk?

I had assumed you were trying to use a USB Flash memory stick.

The HP utility (or similar software) is only useful for sticks (that are seen by the system as "removable" devices) hard disks are generally seen as "fixed" devices.

On hard disk, this:

I am assuming your USB stick is already bootable with DOS, (tested) using the HP USB Format utility as per FAQ #4 here as FAT, not FAT32, not NTFS:
http://home.graffiti...SB/USBfaqs.html

Now, you should insert your stick and format it, again as FAT16, from within Windows 2K/XP.

Needs to be replaced by this:

Access the USB hard disk from Disk Management.
Delete any partition on it.
Create a new Primary partition, sized around 950 Mbytes (and in any case smaller than 2 Gbyte).
Make sure it is Active.
Format the partition as FAT16.

Resume from:

Copy to the root of stick the files:

If you get to the BOOT.INI choices, it means we are sure you can boot allright from the external USB hard disk.

You can then try repeating the steps above re-formatting the partition as FAT32 or NTFS, making it bigger, etc., testing each time that it boots properly. ( a FAT16 partition - limited to 2 Gb - is usually compatible with any motherboard, while bigger partitions or different filesystems have been reported to cause trouble on some motherboards)

jaclaz

#78 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

lol thats more or less what I had done. I had given my hdd one 1gb primary partition, and one 298gb primary partition, did what you said to do on the 1 gb partition, and it didn't work.

but when I tried it on an ordinary 1 gb UFD, it booted into it but I think it said cannot find operatng system or something like that

#79 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

lol thats more or less what I had done. I had given my hdd one 1gb primary partition, and one 298gb primary partition, did what you said to do on the 1 gb partition, and it didn't work.

but when I tried it on an ordinary 1 gb UFD, it booted into it but I think it said cannot find operatng system or something like that

Yep, the problem might rely on either the "more" or on the "less". ;)

Unlike humans, PC's and booting code are not much flexible.

Let's do it like this:
1) Make your mind, you want to use the HD or the stick

2) Get HDHACKER here:
http://www.dimio.altervista.org/eng/

Use it to save the MBR of the device you chose, i.e. first sector of the Physical drive.
Use it to save the bootsector of the partition on that device, i.e. first sector of Logical drive.

Compress them to a .zip or .7z file and attach it to your next post, I'll have a look at them and try to understand what's going wrong.

jaclaz

#80 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

lol it works now, ignore that post

#81 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:43 AM

sorry, i don't get the guys explanation in this post http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=17504

#82 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

So, you are now in the condition that you can boot to NTLDR/BOOT.INI and from there choose grub4dos and access the menu.lst? :thumbup:

That's good. ;)

When run SETUPLDR.BIN, the loader for both the XP setup and for PE builds, "senses" whether it resides on a floppy or CD (and in this case it looks for files in "\I386\") or if it resides on a "hard disk like" device (and in this case it looks for files in "\minint\").

The two paths above are "hardcoded" inside the SETUPLDR.BIN files.

Though with most motherboards a USB stick or HD is sensed as a "hd like device", there are reports of motherboards that do not do this.

The workaround found has been that of hexediting the SETUPLDR.BIN file in such a way as to use the \I386 folder on BOTH type of devices.

The referenced post shows a way to do so using instead of a hexeditor, gsar i.e. the general search and replace utility.

If you are using Server2003 SP1 or later SETUPLDR.BIN, there is a checksum that prevents the editing to work, and here is the workaround:
http://www.msfn.org/...-64-t58410.html

If you do not want to hexedit SETUPLDR.BIN you can try copying the \I386 folder from your CD or .iso to the USB device, then rename it to \minint.

Of course you need to change the menu.lst entries posted examples to reflect this change:
title find and load SETUPLDR.BIN of PE build

find --set-root /minint/SETUPLDR.BIN

chainloader /minint/SETUPLDR.BIN

title find and load setupldr.bin of PE build

find --set-root /minint/setupldr.bin

chainloader /minint/setupldr.bin

jaclaz

#83 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:06 AM

@jaclaz

ok, i've done everything. i get to the part where it asks me to load SETUPLDR.BIN and it looks like its gonna work, when bam, BSOD. i tried modifying the ntdetect.com, but i still get the BSOD

@any one who knows

gocoding.com says :"To make a UFD bootable requires it to be formatted to FAT16,
the partition set as bootable AND the volume boot sector id
to be set to 0x80. "

how do i do that?

#84 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

@tom fredenson

You read too much around. ;)
(or you trust too much what you read)

"To make a UFD bootable requires it to be formatted to FAT16,
to be set to 0x80. "

The above sentence:
1) is not entirely true in absolute terms
2) does not apply to your case

Explanation:

requires it to be formatted to FAT16

Not entirely true, it can be ANY of
06 FAT16 CHS Mapped
07 NTFS
0B FAT32 CHS Mapped
0C FAT32 LBA Mapped
0E FAT16 LBA Mapped
i.e. any filesystem recognized by the OS you want to boot, XP or XP derived PE in your case.
It is true that some motherboards only work with some filesystems/partition identifiers, and that FAT16 CHS is the one that has proved to be overall working with ALL motherboards.
Read FAQ #10:
http://home.graffiti...SB/USBfaqs.html

to be set to 0x80

The partition set as bootable is of course a requirement, true.
The volume bootsector Disk id being set as 80 is as well a requirement, to indicate that it is on the first disk, but using "normal" tools, it will ALWAYS be set to 80.

It does not apply to your case as you ALREADY booted. (as much as MBR partition and bootsector/bootloader are involved).

Booting is made of two parts:
1) BIOS->MBR->bootsector->OS System file or bootloader
2) whatever the OS system file or bootloader do

In other words, as soon as you can see the choices in BOOT.INI, it means that ANYTHING related to MBR, partition type, and bootsector is OK.

LEAVE THEM ALONE, nothing you can change fiddling will them will change what happens after the bootloader has started.

You already tried the Dietmar's modified NTDETECT.COM, so we cannot do anything more there.

Now, we need to make sure that you have the proper USB drivers in your build.

Can you check that in your \I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS or \minint\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory you have the following files:

usbehci.sys
usbohci.sys
usbuhci.sys
usbhub.sys
usbccgp.sys
usbport.sys
usbstor.sys
usbd.sys

and that the same files are mentioned in TXTSETUP.SIF under sections:
[InputDevicesSupport]usbehci  = "Enhanced Host Controller",files.usbehci,usbehciusbohci  = "Open Host Controller",files.usbohci,usbohciusbuhci  = "Universal Host Controller",files.usbuhci,usbuhciusbhub   = "Generic USB Hub Driver",files.usbhub,usbhubusbstor  = "USB Storage Class Driver",files.usbstor,usbstorusbccgp  = "USB Generic Parent Driver",files.usbccgp,usbccgp
And that you have these in section:
[HardwareIdsDatabase]PCI\CC_0C0320 = "usbehci"PCI\CC_0C0310 = "usbohci"PCI\CC_0C0300 = "usbuhci"USB\COMPOSITE = "usbccgp"USB\ROOT_HUB = "usbhub"USB\ROOT_HUB20 = "usbhub"USB\CLASS_09&SUBCLASS_01 = "usbhub"USB\CLASS_09 = "usbhub"USB\VID_03EE&PID_0000 = "usbstor"USB\VID_03EE&PID_6901 = "usbstor"USB\VID_03F0&PID_0107 = "usbstor"USB\VID_04B3&PID_4427 = "usbstor"USB\VID_04DA&PID_0B01 = "usbstor"USB\VID_04E6&PID_0001 = "usbstor"USB\VID_054C&PID_0023 = "usbstor"USB\VID_057B&PID_0000 = "usbstor"USB\VID_059F&PID_A601 = "usbstor"USB\VID_059F&PID_A602 = "usbstor"USB\VID_0644&PID_0000 = "usbstor"USB\VID_0644&PID_1000 = "usbstor"USB\VID_55AA&PID_1234 = "usbstor"USB\Class_08&SubClass_02&Prot_50 = "usbstor"USB\Class_08&SubClass_05&Prot_50 = "usbstor"USB\Class_08&SubClass_06&Prot_50 = "usbstor"

And that you have these lines:
[files.usbohci]hid.dll,2hidclass.sys,4hidparse.sys,4usbd.sys,4usbport.sys,4usbohci.sys,4[files.usbehci]hid.dll,2hccoin.dll,2hidclass.sys,4hidparse.sys,4usbd.sys,4usbport.sys,4usbehci.sys,4[files.usbuhci]hid.dll,2hidclass.sys,4hidparse.sys,4usbd.sys,4usbport.sys,4usbuhci.sys,4[files.usbhub]usbhub.sys,4[files.usbccgp]usbccgp.sys,4[files.usbstor]usbstor.sys,4

jaclaz

#85 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:33 AM

don't think I could find these or the sections

[codebox][files.usbohci]hid.dll,2hidclass.sys,4hidparse.sys,4usbd.sys,4usbport.s ys,4usbohci.sys,4[files.usbehci]hid.dll,2hccoin.dll,2hidclass.sys,4hidparse.sys,4 usbd.sys,4usbport.sys,4usbehci.sys,4[files.usbuhci]hid.dll,2hidclass.sys,4hidpars e.sys,4usbd.sys,4usbport.sys,4usbuhci.sys,4[files.usbhub]usbhub.sys,4[files.usbcc gp]usbccgp.sys,4[files.usbstor]usbstor.sys,4[/codebox] also, don't have these usbehci.sys usbohci.sys usbuhci.sys usbhub.sys usbccgp.sys usbport.sys usbstor.sys usbd.sys

and didnt find them in txtsetup in [SourceDisksFiles]

#86 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Ok, so we have found the reason why you have 0x0000007b from USB.

You have no USB drivers in your build. ;)

Now someone of the experts of LiveXP should advise about what option needs to be ticked in winbuilder to add them or which .script needs to be added. :thumbup:

jaclaz

#87 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

Enable USBSupport.Script: USB Mass Storage Devices.

Regards,
Galapo.

#88 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

Enable USBSupport.Script: USB Mass Storage Devices.

Regards,
Galapo.

fyi, I know this doesn't apply to the current situation but it is important to note that this script was included and selected in all of the original projects Tom built where he was getting the 0x0000007b from USB. ;)

#89 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

fyi, I know this doesn't apply to the current situation but it is important to note that this script was included and selected in all of the original projects Tom built where he was getting the 0x0000007b from USB. ;)

I don't get it. :thumbup:

I do have lost count of how tom's current build has been made, and I know next to nothing about LiveXP, or any other Winbuilder project, but surely if the build has not USB drivers, it won't boot from USB. :thumbup:

So, I think we need to re-start from beginning.

Can you suggest step by step to tom how he should run the LiveXP project in order to have a USB enabled build?

jaclaz

#90 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

I don't get it. :thumbup:

I do have lost count of how tom's current build has been made, and I know next to nothing about LiveXP, or any other Winbuilder project, but surely if the build has not USB drivers, it won't boot from USB. ;)

So, I think we need to re-start from beginning.

Can you suggest step by step to tom how he should run the LiveXP project in order to have a USB enabled build?

jaclaz

In the tutorial Tom was following when he first posted is a section called 'More Advanced Options: Setting up a UFD boot disk' where I lay out the steps that I have used to boot succesfully from UFD disks (as far as I know, should work as well for external hard drives). This works on many machines but certainly not all. Unfortunately, I don't have experience booting from an external USB hard drive like Toms so I'm hoping those that have can give advice here; however, no amount of advice will work in every situation :thumbup:

#91 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

i think we may have something. ;)

I went to every single build that I hadn't deleted 6, + another one I just made, and in the target-liveXP-i386-system 32 folder, none of them had these

usbehci.sys
usbohci.sys
usbuhci.sys
usbhub.sys
usbccgp.sys
usbport.sys
usbstor.sys
usbd.sys

:thumbup:

is that related to the source cd? / I think this may be the problem

NB:half built with bootsdi, half built with create iso, the one i just made with "build sata drivers" checked instead of "build DPS mass storage devices script". 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999% i had the USB mass storage devices thig checked, will make another build with DPS check

#92 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:30 AM

tom,
from what I can get from amalux's nice tutorial, the Mass Storage .script should be enabled by default.

If I were you I would delete every previous build/attempt and the Winbuilder directory and re-download project LiveXP, just to make sure there is not any "left-over" that could somehow affect the building.

jaclaz

#93 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

I went to every single build that I hadn't deleted 6, + another one I just made, and in the target-liveXP-i386-system 32 folder, none of them had these

usbehci.sys
usbohci.sys
usbuhci.sys
usbhub.sys
usbccgp.sys
usbport.sys
usbstor.sys
usbd.sys

is that related to the source cd?

I would guess so.
Have the computers on which you installed XP the normal way, from this source, working USB?
If so, you have a non standard CD. Maybe from Dell or HP.
In that case you will have to adopt the usb script or get yourself a standard XP CD.

;)

#94 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

tom,
from what I can get from amalux's nice tutorial, the Mass Storage .script should be enabled by default.

If I were you I would delete every previous build/attempt and the Winbuilder directory and re-download project LiveXP, just to make sure there is not any "left-over" that could somehow affect the building.

jaclaz

Yes, just to confirm; any project downloaded from the links in the tutorial did have DP's Mass Storage script included and selected by default! Maybe something got 'changed'? Tom?

Also, in case this wasn't made clear (enough) before; you should never 're-run' these projects. Every build has to be 'from scratch' i.e. you can keep the downloaded SFX and extract it each time you need to run it but don't use an existing build (that's already been run) to make changes and run again! This used to be OK as long as you deleted the build generated files and folders but with recent versions of DP's Mass Storage, this causes problems. Maybe this is what's been happening? Maybe I need to add a better warning about this in the tutorial ;)

#95 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

wooooooooooooooooooooooot it worked ;) :clap: :thumbup:

the problem was the source CD :clap: . i downloaded the trial version of Windows 2003 SP1 R2 from the microsoft site (and another one of amalax's winbuilder builds) and used that and it worked :thumbup:

ok enough celebrating, a HUGE thanks to everybody who helped.

but the solving of this problem has led to a few more :thumbup:
yaaaaaaaay.

note: please don't feel that you are pressured to help me. I sometimes get that comment in RL :thumbup:

I think I should clarify this first though. lets just say that i'm trying to create a portable PC on my external HDD

I'm just wondering, does any1 know how to connect to the internet, as it can't detect my network cards, and does any1 know how to make myself administrator of my now finally bootable HDD? lol im denied access from stuff like task manager

NB i made this work with grub4dos, then using pe2usb, i am currently using the pe2usb method, please inform me if grub4dos is better in this case

Big Question: What is usboot?/ would it be perfect for what i am trying to do?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

#96 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:49 PM

Congratulations! Glad you got it working! ;)

I'm just wondering, does any1 know how to connect to the internet, as it can't detect my network cards...

Depending on which project your using, there will be options for adding additional NIC support under 'Drivers' -> '3 - Network'. Start by checking 'Small NET drivers...' (if not checked already), if that doesn't work try 'NET drivers...' (no reason to have both checked!). The small version adds about 12MB to your build, the other adds 24MB! Any options here must be checked prior to running new build!
nicops.jpg

Alternately, you can try to create your own NIC driver script by using MyNIC tool found under 'Tools' at the bottom of the tree view. Create this script prior to running the new build as the script must be included and selected when the project is run.
mynic.jpg

Click the 'Run' button to open the tools interface
mynicops.jpg

Confirm that your network card is listed in the top line (if blank, post on this for add'l help); don't change any settings except one: 'Script Level' should be set to 6. Now click on 'Make Script' and then 'End'. Look for your new script in the 'Temp' folder inside your base directory (it will have the name of your NIC, not mine):
mynicscript.jpg

Move this script to the following location:
C:\<project>\Projects\LiveXP\Drivers\3 Network

Start WinBuilder and confirm that you see your new script in the tree view under 'Drivers' -> '3 - Network' and that it is checked to be included in your build. You can find more info on this in the tutorial under 'Add-Remove Programs, Drivers Etc.' section.

...does any1 know how to make myself administrator of my now finally bootable HDD? lol im denied access from stuff like task manager

Please post the exact error message you get when attempting to open Task Manager.

NB i made this work with grub4dos, then using pe2usb, i am currently using the pe2usb method, please inform me if grub4dos is better in this case

I don't understand this question, please explain what you mean... made what work?

#97 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2008 - 05:04 AM

the exact error message I get when attempting to open task manager is

X:\minint\System32\devmgmt.msc

Access is denied.

lol what I meant with the pe2usb and grub4dos thing was that I first made it work using the method Jaclaz told me, then tried using your method again, with the new source CD and pe2usb, and that is the method I am using now. I just wanted to be told if it would be better for me to use Jaclaz's method.

Also, please tell me if usboot is what im really looking for, as it seems to sound right

#98 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:30 AM

@tom

You need to be more pragmatic.

The message is "Use whatever works for you". ;)

And there is NO "jaclaz's" method, what I made you do was simply the "manual" way to do what can be done by Winbuilder, or by another utility, as an example the multiboot_x.cmd:
http://www.msfn.org/...m-USB-f157.html

I just try to take users beyond the 0x0000007b error.....

jaclaz

#99 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:50 PM

the exact error message I get when attempting to open task manager is

X:\minint\System32\devmgmt.msc

Access is denied.

This is very odd; devmgmt.msc is your Device Manager not Task Manager and I don't know why you would get Access is denied for either one. Is this with a fresh booted machine? How are you trying to access ?Task? Manager?

lol what I meant with the pe2usb and grub4dos thing was that I first made it work using the method Jaclaz told me, then tried using your method again, with the new source CD and pe2usb, and that is the method I am using now. I just wanted to be told if it would be better for me to use Jaclaz's method.

Also, please tell me if usboot is what im really looking for, as it seems to sound right

Like the man said, "Use whatever works for you". ;)

#100 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

lol your right, it is device manager. i just go start - control panel - administrative tools - device manager and i always get acces denied. not sure what you mean by fresh booted machine, but i have booted into my usb many times now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users