txtsetup.sif issues with LiveXP

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#26 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:22 AM

@amalux

in all honesty, i don't know anymore :lol: . i had assumed that my liveXP issue was solved, as the thing booted in qemu, but now you tell me that i needed to change the BootSDI thing settings too. i had used the default ones, which had 'of target' selected instead of 'free space', and the iso label was NativeExCD. but would that actually make a difference? because it did boot in qemu.
but im going to try your method out anyway, and hope that it works

Because I introduced the 'of target' and 'free space' I think I can answer here.

To use the 'of target' is ok, too. It will create a RAM disk of the size as a percentage of your current target directory.
Because The RAM disk contents is optimized / compressed by zcopy, when using 100% you have a lot of free writable space.
(Minimum you can use is -depending on the project's contents- around 80%)

ISO labels of course do not change anything on the functionality.

Peter

#27 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

FAT? Weren't there some problems with winbuilder and FAT?

:lol:

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi Tom,

None of the following takes away or discounts advice you are receiving from other learned members but since you downloaded my project that I took great care to pre-configure and setup correctly, I feel compelled to make a couple points clear, then you can continue following the advice given regarding the correct setup of your machine and source files.

@amalux

in all honesty, i don't know anymore :lol: . i had assumed that my liveXP issue was solved, as the thing booted in qemu, but now you tell me that i needed to change the BootSDI thing settings too. i had used the default ones, which had 'of target' selected instead of 'free space', and the iso label was NativeExCD. but would that actually make a difference? because it did boot in qemu.
but im going to try your method out anyway, and hope that it works

1) You only had to change them back to there original settings; there was no reason to change them in the first place but since you switched out the script (changes settings) you had to change them back to the way they were when you downloaded the project. It's easier and better to not change the settings in the first place and then you won't have to change them back :thumbup:

2) Any files you get when you download the project are the right files, in the right place and should not be changed in any way unless specifically directed in the tutorial. You only need to worry about files you supply, namely your Source directory and host environment. For that, you need to follow Jaclaz and Peters advice very carefully. Remember, all you have to do is get your source and host environment correct; the project takes care of itself :thumbup:

Now go back to following the advice of 'the masters' and get that machine of yours setup right :thumbup:

#29 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

FAT? Weren't there some problems with winbuilder and FAT?

:thumbup:

umm yea, my computer (the host?) has fat32 hard drives, is that a problem?

lol, also, im getting the Error-ExtractFile,“%ScriptFile%”,“Folder”,“ZCopy.exe”,“%Tools% thing again, even with the changed bootSDI.script thing for some reason

lol i apologize if i'm starting to drive any1 mad

#30 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

lol, also, im getting the Error-ExtractFile,"%ScriptFile%","Folder","ZCopy.exe","%Tools% thing again, even with the changed bootSDI.script thing for some reason

That surely is NOT an issue of WinBuilder or Amalux's package.

Nobody else reported an issue here. And I know that zcopy.exe is correctly extracted on my system.

Delete your complete WinBuilder folder ad do a redownload of the package.
If the error still occurs, we have to examine your PC.

But I'm sure that anywhen if the (far?) future we have solved your issue.

Peter

#31 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

i am using a 320gb western digital external hdd, which was given a fat16 750mb primary partition, flagged bootable; and a second fat32, rest of space, primary partition. the partitioning was done using an ubuntu live cd (as its much faster in my opinion)

@Peter, Jaclaz...

He's booting from USB, FAT16; this alone could be part of the issue and does require the 'modified' ntdetect.com as described here. This is what MedEvil meant by problems with 'fat'. :lol:

#32 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

@Peter, Jaclaz...

He's booting from USB, FAT16; this alone could be part of the issue and does require the 'modified' ntdetect.com as described here. This is what MedEvil meant by problems with 'fat'. :lol:

But that never explains the 'unpack zcopy' issue ...

Unpack is done during build.
Target file system like FAT etc., ntdetect.com, ... are relevant much later during boot.

Peter

#33 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:32 PM

@amalux

Hmmm, don't think so.
The modified NTDETECT.COM may be needed on some particular hardware, but if "standard" one does not work, it will give a STOP 0x0000007b, nothing else of different, and definitely nothing related to FAT16.

jaclaz

#34 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

@amalux

Hmmm, don't think so.
The modified NTDETECT.COM may be needed on some particular hardware, but if "standard" one does not work, it will give a STOP 0x0000007b, nothing else of different, and definitely nothing related to FAT16.

jaclaz

Understood, I was just bringing this info back to the table as some of this post has been a bit confusing. He did get the STOP 0x0000007b as stated earlier in the topic so this has to be taken into account. Also, fwiw, I have been able to produce Z-copy errors just by changing, seemingly, unrelated options in BootSDI script; Z-copy seems somewhat unstable in this way.

...just trying to help here :lol:

#35 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:05 PM

Also, fwiw, I have been able to produce Z-copy errors just by changing, seemingly, unrelated options in BootSDI script; Z-copy seems somewhat unstable in this way.

The 'Bug Catcher' is active again! :lol:

Please give me as 'Bug Killer' some more details, primarily how to reproduce the issue.

Thanks

Peter :thumbup:

#36 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:27 PM

Please give me as 'Bug Killer' some more details, primarily how to reproduce the issue.

Thanks

This was a while back, so I can't be too specific; I was experimenting with changing options in BootSDI - increasing Free Space size (48MB?) and possibly UNchecking Compress RAM drive option. It seemed that almost any change in this regard produced similar Z-copy errors :thumbup: I will now attempt to reproduce this result and report more info. :thumbup:

#37 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

Thanks

OK, I was able to produce Z-copy errors by unchecking 'Compress RAM drive' or by choosing 'Fixed' and 'Of Target' image sizes (too small), like this:
zcopyerr1.jpg

not surprising and not the same error Tom was getting 'Can't find Z-copy.exe' but produces same result!
zcopyerr2.jpg

Why zcopy.exe is 'not found' is a mystery...

At the Boot SDI part it goes

Error-ExtractFile,“%ScriptFile%”,“Folder”,“ZCopy.exe”,“%Tools%”

Then it comes up with the ‘cannot find ‘C:\lx41208pg\Projects\Tools\zCopy.exe’ thing twice

Then, in qemu, it goes ‘Inf file txtsetup.sif is corrupt or missing, status 14

I have experienced this exact behavior in the past and I believe it was related to SP1a or slipstreamed 'SP2' (can't be sure) - When I have more time I can try setting this up and testing.

#38 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:15 PM

Why zcopy.exe is 'not found' is a mystery...

So, let's temporarely treate as voodoo!

Peter

#39 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

So, let's temporarely treate as voodoo!

Peter

Yes, that's it! Voodoo :lol:

#40 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:08 AM

I have experienced this exact behavior in the past and I believe it was related to SP1a or slipstreamed 'SP2' (can't be sure) - When I have more time I can try setting this up and testing.

lol, the first time i tried it, i used a SP1a disk, now, i am using a Sp1a disk slipstreamed with SP2. could that be it?

using the changed bootSDI.script, and with the setting changed back (ie. of target to free space) i made another build which suprisingly worked and booted in qemu :lol: , but failed in actually booting up(as usual) :thumbup: .

lol, i'm just wondering, do you guys think it would be faster to try to get winbuilder to work the normal way, or to focus on the BSOD using to build created with the modified bootSDI.script?/what are you guys trying to do? :thumbup:

lol, and can any1 suggest any other ways to create a bootable usb that runs windows? (i won't leave this project, just as a concurrent project to hopefully speed up the process, as i really need to finish this soon)(i know about BartPE)

also, inside the HDD, in a folder called minint, i found a NTDETECT.com, with the name in caps like that. does that one need to be modified too?

#41 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:23 AM

If I get it right you now have something that works in Qemu.

And the same buid, now does not boot on real hardware, giving you a BSOD, not the "can't find zcopy" error, not the "txtsetup.sif is corrupted". Am I correct?

Which exact BSOD are you experiencing?

The 0x0000007b one?

Try booting the stick (not the image) in Qemu using \\.\Physicaldriven syntax:
http://www.msfn.org/...sb-t112746.html
http://www.911cd.net...o...=21353&st=2

What happens? :lol:

jaclaz

#42 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

I opt for a not enough RAM issue,
If it works in qEmu it should not blue screen on real hardware.

#43 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:12 AM

I opt for a not enough RAM issue,
If it works in qEmu it should not blue screen on real hardware.

Yes, this sounds right :thumbup:

@Tom, how much RAM do you have? You can try the build without bootsdi to check this idea. It will boot and run off the CD (slower) but better than BSOD. Just UNcheck BootSDI and check Create ISO instead (only one of these should be checked, not both), like this:
9_creatiso.JPG

#44 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:12 AM

i have 512mb ram.
lol, the reason i am using a modified bootSDI script in the first place is that I can't make a build normally with the create iso thing checked. i always get evil zcopy errors

#45 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

lol, the reason i am using a modified bootSDI script in the first place is that I can't make a build normally with the create iso thing checked. i always get evil zcopy errors

zcopy is not associated with createiso script at all, only bootsdi.

Regards,
Galapo.

#46 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:54 AM

lol ok, this is what i did.

first, i ran winbuilder again with create iso checked and it worked somehow :lol: (i am positive it was checked the first few times i ran it. i think. :thumbup: )

then using petousb, formatted my external hdd.

made a new ntdetect.com using tinyhexer, and copied it into the hdd, replacing the old one.

after 20 mins of reading the the post provided by Jaclaz, I downloaded qemu and I booted the thing in qemu.

i downloaded qemu from http://www1.interq.o...~t-takeda/qemu/

the cmd command was

C:\qemu\qemu-0.9.1-windows>qemu -L C:\qemu\qemu-0.9.0.1-windows -hda //./PhysicalDrive1 (correct me if I made a mistake in the downloading/command)

...and i got the BSOD :thumbup: . do you guys think it is because i do not have enough RAM? then how much RAM would you guys reccommend? and would it still be possible to create a bootable external HDD with my 512mb RAM? (desperate)

#47 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

Definitely there must be some steps that you either "overperform" i.e. you do without reporting them or "underperform" i.e. you miss doing without reporting them, to which some more variables are added.

I guess we must start again from scratch.

Try doing exactly what amalux told in post #43.

Remove from the build anything strictly not necessary, in other words try to build the smallest possible image, or try again the (smaller) nativeEx_barebone project.

The result will be a .iso file.

Try booting from the .iso in Qemu, you may want to download and use Qemumanager:
http://www.davereyn.co.uk/
which makes basic working with Qemu MUCH easier.

Leave NTDETECT.COM as is, the Dietmar's modified one is ONLY needed on some hardware for DIRECT USB booting, no need for hexediting it for ANY other method, including SDI/RAMDISK booting.

Report.

jaclaz

#48 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

Tom,

I had just prepared a long winded 'overview' of this whole thread when I saw the latest posts... Please follow the advice from Jaclaz and Peter and others, you must focus on getting a basic, LiveXP (or nativeEx) build that you can successfully boot from CD first, then you can transfer that to your USB external! As Peter tried to say before and has said so often, start with the foundation, not with the roof! :lol:

#49 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Required ram varies on options choosen.
For SDI boot, you will need at least: size of SDI image + size of ramdisk + 128MB if you didn't enable UPXing + 256MB if you enabled UPXing

Once you have it running, you can check the actual Ram requirements and may be able to reduce the settings another 10 or 20 MB.

btw. Since you're booting off a usb-stick another possible problem could be, that qEmu does only support USB1 while your real machine supports usb2. But you've said you fixed ntdetect, didn't you?

#50 tom fredenson

tom fredenson

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

ok, i made a nativeEX build, and after I used PEtousb and formatted it on, I booted it in qemu. i couldn't get how to use qemumanager, so i just used this line:
C:\qemu\qemu-0.9.1-windows>qemu -L C:\qemu\qemu-0.9.1-windows -hda //./PhysicalDrive2, and surprisingy it worked. I then tried booting it normally, getting the BSOD and realising I hadn't changed ntdetect.com yet. so I changed ntdetect.com and started booting. that was 50 mins ago, and it's still saying 'inspecting your computer's hardware configuration'. i'll check in the morning to see if it worked. how long does it usually take for it to do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users