JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

File name: Notepad++ v5.5.2
Description:Notepad++ is a free (free as in "free speech", but also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement, which supports several programming languages, running under the MS Windows environment.

This project, based on the Scintilla edit component (a very powerful editor component), written in C++ with pure win32 api and STL (that ensures the higher execution speed and smaller size of the program), is under the GPL Licence.

Includes Compare, HTML Tag, NPP Exec, NPPExport, and SpellChecker plugins.

Updated 9 Dec 2009.
Download file

Edited by JonF, 09 December 2009 - 03:13 PM.

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10452 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hi Allan!

Good work!

- There is no need to use ForceAllToRam because this is globally defined by the user on the API by default and individual scripts shouldn't worry about that (except some specific reason like big sized >100MB programs and such)

- For the missing files on LiveXP - would you try adding the "require" function?

- I also suggest removing the "Productivity" folder on the add_shortcut command so it fetchs the name from the same folder where the script is placed (good for organizing your scripts as you prefer)

For some coincidence I also wrote a tutorial and used as example Notepad but I didn't tested it under LiveXP but you are welcome to take a look and see the steps.

It is focused on explaining with extra details how "add_shortcut" and "require" work

http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4424

:thumbsup:

#3 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

Hi Allan!

I'm Jon. Hi!

- There is no need to use ForceAllToRam because this is globally defined by the user on the API by default and individual scripts shouldn't worry about that (except some specific reason like big sized >100MB programs and such)

So if a script uses RunFromRam or RogAddBoot it's not going to cause an error when run under a non-VistaPE project, and RegAddBoot will add the appropriate information ot the registry? I thought neither RunFromRam or RegAddBoot were implemented in other projects.

- For the missing files on LiveXP - would you try adding the "require" function?

I used the Require_File function to add the file it complained about. I think it was oleacc.dll. Then there was no complaint about missing files, but the application failed to initialize. Then Dependency Walker didn't run. Then Process Monitor didn't run. I'm out of ideas on how to trace the problem.

- I also suggest removing the "Productivity" folder on the add_shortcut command so it fetchs the name from the same folder where the script is placed (good for organizing your scripts as you prefer)

Good idea. I'll implement that shortly.

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12688 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:35 PM

Tested in VistaPE 12. Should work as-is in other projects ... but I tried it in LiveXP and there was a file missing, then it would not initialize, then neither Dependency Walker nor Process Monitor would run in LiveXP ... so I gave up. I would love to hear about people's experiences with other projects and ths script.

I tried your script in nativeEx_barebone
  • 'Normal' ISO
  • BootSDI ISO
Both worked well :thumbsup:
(Worked well means that the app started and I could open a file. I did not try to work with it)

So there may be an issue in your current LiveXP installation.
But the script you made, is besides Vista, also ok for nativeEx based projects.

Peter

#5 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10452 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:07 PM

Sorry for the mix of names! :thumbsup:

I was testing and replying to Allan's PE21 project and somehow got myself confused while reading your app script.

So if a script uses RunFromRam or RogAddBoot it's not going to cause an error when run under a non-VistaPE project, and RegAddBoot will add the appropriate information ot the registry? I thought neither RunFromRam or RegAddBoot were implemented in other projects.

There are specific cases where it is not possible to write a universal app script but for most common cases the API is the way to ensure that they are readable and supported across other projects in the future - let them be based on Vista, NT7, etc..

The purpose is writing them in a manner that can later be recycled in the future.

Imagine your script - you write it saying that you want a shortcut, to place all files on the notepad++ folder and that it will require n dll's on the system32 (or equivalent) folder.

VistaPE specific options like RunFromRAM or RegAddBoot are becoming obsolete as the project advances and it will surely reach a point when the notepad plus script will need to be cleaned up so that other .script developers can understand it clearly.

Oops.. was meant to keep my reply short - sorry for the long readings. :tabletalk: :D

:D

#6 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Sorry for the mix of names! :thumbsup:

... similar surnames, 'F' and 'f' ... :tabletalk:

Speaking of names - I saw a new member Don Ho here the other day. Is it the developer of notepad++, I wonder?

@JonF, That is very interesting how those 'If' statements work.

#7 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

So there may be an issue in your current LiveXP installation.

Yes, there may. I downloaded it, made no changes except adding my script, built it, and booted it. I believe you have opinions on how well this should work. :thumbsup: :tabletalk:

#8 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

There are specific cases where it is not possible to write a universal app script but for most common cases the API is the way to ensure that they are readable and supported across other projects in the future - let them be based on Vista, NT7, etc..

The purpose is writing them in a manner that can later be recycled in the future.

Imagine your script - you write it saying that you want a shortcut, to place all files on the notepad++ folder and that it will require n dll's on the system32 (or equivalent) folder.

VistaPE specific options like RunFromRAM or RegAddBoot are becoming obsolete as the project advances and it will surely reach a point when the notepad plus script will need to be cleaned up so that other .script developers can understand it clearly.

I'm all in favor of writing them in a manner that can be recycled in the future. My major concern is writing them in a manner that works now. I'm trying to write clearly. And I'm experimenting with methods.

The functionalityof RegAddBoot is required in VistaPE, and the functionalityof RunFromRam is very useful. AFAIK it's possible to add RegAddBoot to other projects and implement it at boot time or at build time. But I believe it has not yet been done. I don't see any practical way to implment the functionality without a dedicated function, unless you parse every RegAdd to see if it has to be postponed until boot time.

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12688 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

I'm all in favor of writing them in a manner that can be recycled in the future. My major concern is writing them in a manner that works now. I'm trying to write clearly. And I'm experimenting with methods.

The functionalityof RegAddBoot is required in VistaPE, and the functionalityof RunFromRam is very useful. AFAIK it's possible to add RegAddBoot to other projects and implement it at boot time or at build time. But I believe it has not yet been done. I don't see any practical way to implment the functionality without a dedicated function, unless you parse every RegAdd to see if it has to be postponed until boot time.

@JonF!

I tried again, this time moving your script from nativeEx_barebone to a fresh downloaded LiveXP and ran the standard project options (finally using qEmu as simulator)

I got:
notepad___1.gif
But when running the ISO using VirtualBox, there has been no trouble, and it worked. :thumbsup:

Really no issue of your script! Be sure that your script is for 100% ok! :tabletalk:

Peter

#10 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Updated

#11 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

Hi JonF
Not tested , date seem not changed
Code can be simply like this for VistaPE an LiveXP
[Process]

Echo,Processing %ProgramTitle%...

RunFromRam,%pCheckBox1%

Unpack,Notepad++,Notepad++.7z,True

Add_Shortcut,StartMenu

If,%pCheckBox2%,Equal,true,Add_Shortcut,Desktop

RegAddBoot,"HKLM",0x2,"Software\Classes\*\shell\Edit with Notepad++\command","","%PE_Programs%\%ProgramFolder%\%ProgramEXE% #$q%1#$q"
RegAddBoot exist now in LiveXP
In LiveXP ,now you can also simply use Add_ShortCut,EditWith

Pedro

#12 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

Whoops, uploaded the .script instead of the .7z. Fixed now.

#13 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:28 PM

Thanks JonF,
But you cut the wrong line
You must keep RunFromRam,%pCheckBox1%
and cut ReadEnv

ReadEnv ,read simply a lot of variables but do nothing, use it only if your script need these variables (here no need)
For correct setting use allways RunFromRam

Pedro

#14 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:15 PM

Damn!

OK, fixed.