Photo
- - - - -

How can I change the bookmarks in CD Opera?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

How can I change the bookmarks in the CD-Opera script in the LiveXP project? I want to put in my own bookmarks.

Thanks

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

You could edit the bookmark file by hand, or you could simply run CD-Opera on your machine, to add bookmarks and then add the new/changed bookmark file back to the script.

The bookmark file is CD-Opera\profile\opera6.adr

:thumbsup:

#3 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

You could edit the bookmark file by hand, or you could simply run CD-Opera on your machine, to add bookmarks and then add the new/changed bookmark file back to the script.

The bookmark file is CD-Opera\profile\opera6.adr

MedEvil,

Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with "regular" Opera running from a HDD and know about the opera6.adr file. This CD-Opera is "embedded" inside the script and has its predefined bookmarks. I want a CD-Opera script with my own bookmarks in it.

The CD-Opera I find on the internet is a portable single exe file program that I have no access to the opera6.adr file. If I run the program and change the bookmarks, I cannot save the bookmarks back into the program.

Is this CD-Opera in the script the same as the one I mention above? If not, that means I have access to the opera6.adr file. How can I extract the CD-Opera program from the script? I know how to use Winbuilder or MakeScript to create a script, but I don't know how to extract a program from the script.

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

How can I extract the CD-Opera program from the script? I know how to use Winbuilder or MakeScript to create a script, but I don't know how to extract a program from the script.

• In the project tree, go to your app, in this case CD-Opera
  • In the right side, click on the script's logo or the Edit button
  • Click the Attachements button
  • Right click the file you want to extract
  • Choose Extract from the popup
Peter

#5 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

• In the project tree, go to your app, in this case CD-Opera
  • In the right side, click on the script's logo or the Edit button
  • Click the Attachements button
  • Right click the file you want to extract
  • Choose Extract from the popup
Peter

Good news:

Your suggestion worked. CD-Opera now has my own bookmars inside the script.

Bad news:

Attached Thumbnails

• pic.PNG

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:33 PM

Good news:

Your suggestion worked. CD-Opera now has my own bookmars inside the script.

Bad news:

OOPS

The reason is simple: When you are in the qEmu (CD) environment, you do not have any chance to write to CD. Usually every CD is Read-Only.

I currently do not understand why CD-Opera wants to write a new constallation. That could be placed into 'WinBuilder creates the CD', that means into a dedicated script of your project.

But if this is not possible, you have to make your PE writable, either by using 'BootSDI' instead of 'CreateISO' or by including the FBWF option to CreateISO.

Peter

#7 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

Peter,

This could be a CD-Opera "problem" by design. If this CD-Opera is a rename of the"one-use Opera" from the kejut.com site, then it is designed so that the default bookmarks cannot be changed without using their "Opera Portable Builder" that you have to buy. I believe that is how it works.

Can some confirm the origin of this CD-Opera, or shed some light on what might have happen here?

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:52 PM

Peter,

This could be a CD-Opera "problem" by design. If this CD-Opera is a rename of the"one-use Opera" from the kejut.com site, then it is designed so that the default bookmarks cannot be changed without using their "Opera Portable Builder" that you have to buy. I believe that is how it works.

Can some confirm the origin of this CD-Opera, or shed some light on what might have happen here?

In the first line, strikethrough my name and insert 'MedEvil' ( :tabletalk: )

I think he will react soon.

Peter :thumbsup:

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

@cdd

last days me and a couple of other members tried a lot to help you with your questions.

Do you agree if I suggest that you do not longer be anonymous but at least tell us your 'flag'?

Peter

#10 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

@cdd
Do you agree if I suggest that you do not longer be anonymous but at least tell us your 'flag'?
Peter

Pardon my ignorance; by "flag" do you mean country? I can do that.

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

Pardon my ignorance; by "flag" do you mean country? I can do that.

Peter

#12 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

This CD-Opera is "embedded" inside the script and has its predefined bookmarks.

I know, i wrote that script. :tabletalk:

I want a CD-Opera script with my own bookmarks in it.

That's why i told you, how to do it.
If you still have a question/problem, be more precise.

The CD-Opera I find on the internet is a portable single exe file program that I have no access to the opera6.adr file. If I run the program and change the bookmarks, I cannot save the bookmarks back into the program.
Is this CD-Opera in the script the same as the one I mention above?

What's in the script is 100% MedEvil.
Didn't knew there was some other project using this name too.
So the answer is NO! :D

If not, that means I have access to the opera6.adr file. How can I extract the CD-Opera program from the script? I know how to use Winbuilder or MakeScript to create a script, but I don't know how to extract a program from the script.

If you already know where Opera has it's bookmarks i presume that you have already an Opera on your HDD.
You can simply use the Bookmark file from your HDD and use it to replace the one in the script.
Just add the new file to the same folder the old one is in. That's it.

edit:
To extract the full CD-Opera, you simply run the script.
But if you wanna use it, you better copy the CD-Opera folder in your 'program files' folder first.

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:19 PM

Bad news:

No, no bad news. CD-Opera was build to run from CD only, without need for any writable space like RAM disks or alike.
Though this design may seem to be somewhat obsolete today, as all projects feature eighter ram disks or even ram boot. CD-Opera was designed for use in projects aiming at low end PC (meaning mostly little RAM).

#14 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

No, no bad news. CD-Opera was build to run from CD only, without need for any writable space like RAM disks or alike.
Though this design may seem to be somewhat obsolete today, as all projects feature eighter ram disks or even ram boot. CD-Opera was designed for use in projects aiming at low end PC (meaning mostly little RAM).

I did not even ask Opera to save a new bookmark, the error message came up when I click the "Bookmarks" menu item. Do you mean the error message is expected and should be ignored?

#15 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

I did not even ask Opera to save a new bookmark, the error message came up when I click the "Bookmarks" menu item. Do you mean the error message is expected and should be ignored?

Can't even answer that question right now, since i've never used the bookmark menu.
But generally, you should not get any error message unless you try to save something.

Since i have very little time at the moment for winbuilder stuff, could you do me a favour and check yourself with an unmodified version of the script?

Please tell me how it went.

#16 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:52 PM

Can't even answer that question right now, since i've never used the bookmark menu.
But generally, you should not get any error message unless you try to save something.

Since i have very little time at the moment for winbuilder stuff, could you do me a favour and check yourself with an unmodified version of the script?

Please tell me how it went.

Your original script did not generate any error message, only the modified one did. This is the opera6.adr file I copied from my HDD installation to the script. I am not sure why it did not like the new bookmark file. I'll do more testing and let you know.

#17 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:45 AM

Your original script did not generate any error message, only the modified one did. This is the opera6.adr file I copied from my HDD installation to the script. I am not sure why it did not like the new bookmark file. I'll do more testing and let you know.

I cut down the bookmarks size from hundreds of items into one folder of 18 items only, and tried it 3 more time, same result. It is not worth the effort. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day/evening.

#18 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

I cut down the bookmarks size from hundreds of items into one folder of 18 items only, and tried it 3 more time, same result. It is not worth the effort. Thank you for your time. Have a nice day/evening.

Opera has the habit of checking and fixing files at startup.
Since you took the bookmark file from the Opera installed on your system, i presume it won't be version 8.xx but 9.xx.
Most likely changes are:
- new/changed format of the file
- header was changed <---- most likely
- file contains new, previous unknown, tags

Compare the file from the original script with the new one, to see what's the problem.

PS: If you always give up that fast, you'll not going to get far with writing scripts. :tabletalk:

#19 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

MedEvil,

I spend a lot of time trying to find out why a new bookmark file would cause the problem, it turns out that it has nothing to do with changing to a new bookmark file.

I was wrong when I said that your original script worked ok, only the modified script gave error message. The reason for the confusion is that an error message does not pop up right away, it takes 1 to 3 minutes to pop up. This happened when I used the bookmarks menu to surf the web. It appears that error messages pop up sooner when the bookmark list is bigger; that is the reason why I did not discover the problem in your original script that has a small bookmark list.

I was able to repeat and confirm your original unmodified script has the same problem. It took 2 to 3 minutes for this to occur when I used the bookmarks menu to change sites for viewing.

Attach is a pic of the error message generated while using the original unmodified script.

You said that you are short in time, please don't burden youself to find a solution soon. I have just created a script for a portable Opera I found on the internet. It appears to work ok so far, on one test computer; keeping my fingers crossed. I feel that nothing is easy or simple with computers, there are alway surprises.

Thanks for your help, have a nice day!

Attached Thumbnails

• pic.PNG

#20 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the testing! :thumbsup:
Will nontheless put it on my list of things to check and fix.

:tabletalk:

#21 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

MedEvil,

I wonder if the real cause for the error messages is that some web sites try to write cookies or other cache contents into read only folders. At what time this writings occur depends on the web page visited or items clicked within the web page. This could explain the unpredicatble nature of how and when these error messages occur. Does this make any sense to you?

#22 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:47 PM

No, cdd.
CD-Opera keeps Cache eighter on RAM-Disk or in Memory. (depending on your settings)
But if you could post a screenshot of the script options, you've choosen and the url of a site that creates the problem, i will have a look.

One other thing though, CD-Opera.script is now around for over a year and you're the only one ever reporting this problem, which seems mighty strange to me.
Is there a chance that you've done something strange? :thumbsup:
Like telling CD-Opera to have the cache on the ramdisk, while you have no ramdisk?

Would anyone else like to report some similar behaviour?

#23 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:40 PM

No, cdd.
CD-Opera keeps Cache eighter on RAM-Disk or in Memory. (depending on your settings)
But if you could post a screenshot of the script options, you've choosen and the url of a site that creates the problem, i will have a look.

One other thing though, CD-Opera.script is now around for over a year and you're the only one ever reporting this problem, which seems mighty strange to me.
Is there a chance that you've done something strange? :thumbsup:
Like telling CD-Opera to have the cache on the ramdisk, while you have no ramdisk?

Would anyone else like to report some similar behaviour?

It happened with the original unmodified script, all Opera options were unchanged. The message appeared while visiting the eBay web page. You can see the pic attachment on my post a few messages back.

It only happened once a while (minutes), all I have to do is to click "no" to the message and it went away. This is just a rescue/trouble shooting CD, I don't use it to surf the web for entertainment. The time I spend on using Opera in PE is minimal. This problem does not stop me from using the CD. I throw this question out as a "like to find the reason why", it is low in priority for me. I don't know how I could have done something strange to cause this, if I only include the script in the project with default options. Whatever the reason is not important.

Anyway, I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Attached Thumbnails

• Opera.PNG

#24 cdd

cdd

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

MedEvil,

I have created a script for portable Opera, after using it a while the same error message pops up. It look like this problem is not unique to your script.

I have also created a script for portable FireFox and use it for about 20 minutes, no problem. Firefox is too big in size for me, will delete it and keep Opera despite the occasional problem.

#25 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

I have created a script for portable Opera, after using it a while the same error message pops up. It look like this problem is not unique to your script.

Since portable Opera runs from RamDisk, i can not understand a message that complains about writing. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users