Adding Files

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

I can open Acronis and browse to the image BUT the program doesn't recognize the file :thumbsup: I don't understand this behavior; if I browse to the exact same file on my hard drive, no problem! Can anyone explain what is going on here?

Please explain a bit more detailled, maybe with screenshots, directory contents, read / write access etc.

Peter

BTW: In the mean time I know you as a creative forum's member.

Maybe if you try to answer everything in detail, you already find the solution!

This often happens for me: If I try do give a complete description of an issue, there suddenly is the solution ...

#27 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

Please explain a bit more detailed, maybe with screenshots, directory contents, read / write access etc.

Peter

BTW: In the mean time I know you as a creative forum's member.

Maybe if you try to answer everything in detail, you already find the solution!

This often happens for me: If I try do give a complete description of an issue, there suddenly is the solution ...

Thank you Peter, you are right :tabletalk: . Further testing indicates the issue is with my current ISO editor (MagicISO) which inexplicably 'strips off' the .tib extension during the ISO re-build. I'm looking for a replacement now (PowerISO?) that can handle these files correctly. I'll let you know when I have success! :thumbsup:

#28 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:47 AM

OK, here's the results of my tests...

You can create a bootable DVD which boots normally and can be RAM loaded (optional BootSDI) which contains any type of files, including large backup images on the same disk easily accessed from PE for restoring HD backups, driver archives etc. It's very easy but there are a few limitations; the DVD, though RW capable, will not be writable (through normal means) from PE, only readable. If you want to add or change files on the 'backup' portion of the disk, this must be done with an ISO editor (PowerISO works great, don't know about others or freeware alternatives). I'm personally very happy with this setup. I've successfully restored hard disk images saved to the DVD using Ghost, PowerQuest and Acronis without issue...
petibjoy.JPG

Also, opened, copied and restored driver backups saved on the same disk (many possibilities here)
pebkupjoy.JPG

Here's how easy it is (using PowerISO, in my case):

Open your favorite LiveXP/nativeEx boot disk (CD) or ISO (the bootable part won't be changed) in PowerISO
isostup1.JPG

Add a folder to save all your files to (I named mine 'Backup')
isostup2.JPG

drag (copy) any files, backup images etc. you want into this folder (up to the 4.7/8.5GB disk capacity) and save your new bootable DVD or ISO (for burning later); either way, your new disk contents will look like this
finaliso.JPG

Note: The bootable part of this disk is the same as it was before; if the bootable disk was 140MB on the original CD/ISO, then it's still 140MB! The additional 2, 3, 4GB (or more) is just 'along for the ride' - This may be 'technically' incorrect (I know it's part of the new bootable ISO) but for example, if you are utilizing bootsdi RAM loading (highly recommended!), only the 140MB is loaded into RAM!, the rest just stays on the DVD for easy access from inside PE. This is important to note because, as we were attempting to do it before, the whole ISO image, backup and all was being loaded as part of the boot image (unless you have 8-10GB of RAM, this is a problem!). So this is an easy, flexible solution for what I believe flyfishin4trout was trying to accomplish. :thumbsup:

#29 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

You could have a 'finish' script run before BootSDI which copies your backup image(s) etc to %RAMFolder% before final iso creation. Alternatively, the iso image could be mounted with a post-iso-creation script and files automatically added. This would remove the need to manually add files to the iso afterwards.

The 'include' option on the BootSDI script is currently only written to add files to usb. Perhaps it could be reworked to allow for inclusion of files to %RAMFolder%?

Regards,
Galapo.

#30 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

You could have a 'finish' script run before BootSDI which copies your backup image(s) etc to %RAMFolder% before final iso creation. Alternatively, the iso image could be mounted with a post-iso-creation script and files automatically added. This would remove the need to manually add files to the iso afterwards.

The 'include' option on the BootSDI script is currently only written to add files to usb. Perhaps it could be reworked to allow for inclusion of files to %RAMFolder%?

Regards,
Galapo.

Hi Galapo,

You'll have to help me understand this; these files copied to %RAMFolder% are not included in what's loaded to RAM, right? Where do they end up in the final build? Would the files copied in this way be subject to the same 7z issue mentioned earlier in the post (3-4 hours to copy 300MB!)

It sounds like you could only add or change these files by running a new build, if that's true it would be more troublesome and time consuming than just dragging and dropping files in the editor and finalizing the new ISO (5 min.). I'm not putting down your ideas, just trying to understand them better. :thumbsup:

#31 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:57 AM

You'll have to help me understand this; these files copied to %RAMFolder% are not included in what's loaded to RAM, right? Where do they end up in the final build?

No, %RAMFolder% is what will be the root of the ISO. What is loaded into ram is %RAMFolder%\i386\BootSDI.img.

Regards,
Galapo.

#32 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

No, %RAMFolder% is what will be the root of the ISO. What is loaded into ram is %RAMFolder%\i386\BootSDI.img.

Regards,
Galapo.

OK, that sounds good, what about the other issues; how long would it take to copy over several Gigs of data? The beauty of the editor is that there's no intermediate copy per se, just accesses the files where they are on the hard drive and burns the disk/ISO. These files are, I assume, going to require updating and changing more often than, say, the LiveXP build portion; would there be a way to change out or update these backup images etc. without having to run the build again from scratch?

#33 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:21 AM

OK, that sounds good, what about the other issues; how long would it take to copy over several Gigs of data? The beauty of the editor is that there's no intermediate copy per se, just accesses the files where they are on the hard drive and burns the disk/ISO.

Hmmm. Yes, that's the issue. It'll take as long as copying under a regular file manager and you would need the disk space. So adding files to an already-created ISO image would seem to be preferrable.

These files are, I assume, going to require updating and changing more often than, say, the LiveXP build portion; would there be a way to change out or update these backup images etc. without having to run the build again from scratch?

So what we would need for scripting purposes is a commandline ISO-editing program which can remove files/folders and add files/folders. This way no large files have to be copied in an intermediate stage. UltraISO is able to do such things without hassle, but I'm not sure of a freeware alternative that would allow us to do what we want here. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Galapo.

#34 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:58 AM

Hmmm. Yes, that's the issue. It'll take as long as copying under a regular file manager and you would need the disk space. So adding files to an already-created ISO image would seem to be preferrable.

So what we would need for scripting purposes is a commandline ISO-editing program which can remove files/folders and add files/folders. This way no large files have to be copied in an intermediate stage. UltraISO is able to do such things without hassle, but I'm not sure of a freeware alternative that would allow us to do what we want here. Any suggestions?

Regards,
Galapo.

Familiar with this one? Attached File  CDIMG.7z   42.69KB   120 downloads

#35 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Familiar with this one?

As far as I'm aware, you can only create new images, not edit already existing images.

Regards,
Galapo.

#36 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

As far as I'm aware, you can only create new images, not edit already existing images.

Regards,
Galapo.

Yeah, I think you're right and I'm not aware of any other free alternatives :thumbsup:

#37 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10545 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Isn't imdisk capable of doing this?

I know it can mount ISO images but I'm not sure about write features.

Would Olof be willing to add this option? :thumbsup:

:tabletalk:

#38 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Isn't imdisk capable of doing this?

I know it can mount ISO images but I'm not sure about write features.

Would Olof be willing to add this option?

Hi Nuno,

As far as I'm aware, ISO images can only be mounted read-only.

Whether they can be mounted read-write to the system is a good question.

Regards,
Galapo.

#39 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

Regards,
Galapo.

This idea of yours intrigues me; I'm trying to setup a script to copy files directly to the root of the ISO but keep running into dead ends. Just copying files into %RAMFolder% doesn't work (even if deletion is commented out in BootSDI). Any help is appreciated :thumbsup:

#40 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:46 AM

See the WimPack script on the LiveXP server in conjuction with the WimPack section which is marked in the BootSDI script for an example of how to get files there so that they are not loaded into ram but available from the CD.

Regards,
Galapo.

#41 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

Version 58 of BootSDI is available off the LiveXP server. I've adjusted the 'include' option so that it performs a bit better when including files, ie they are placed in the folder name from the included path.

Eg: 'c:\temp\backup' would copy files there to '%RAMFolder%\backup'.

Regards,
Galapo.

#42 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

Version 58 of BootSDI is available off the LiveXP server. I've adjusted the 'include' option so that it performs a bit better when including files, ie they are placed in the folder name from the included path.

Eg: 'c:\temp\backup' would copy files there to '%RAMFolder%\backup'.

Regards,
Galapo.

This 'Include' option seems to work great! Is there any way we could get a desktop shortcut to this folder for easy access? I don't know how to do it with the name variable :thumbsup:

Thanks Galapo :tabletalk:

#43 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Is there any way we could get a desktop shortcut to this folder for easy access?

@Amalux:
Try to enforce your brain :thumbsup:

Several posts ago I mentioned something like 'ExternalMediaShortcuts'

Peter

#44 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

@Amalux:
Try to enforce your brain :thumbsup:

Several posts ago I mentioned something like 'ExternalMediaShortcuts'

Peter

Hi Peter,

I looked at your 'ExternalMediaShortcuts' but had some questions, it seems to be for external applications (PortableApps?) on a separate CD/DVD (user selects drive?). I couldn't really test because I kept getting this error, even with a complete nativeEx download, where is EMSManager.exe?
noemsmgr.JPG

Anyway, it doesn't seem applicable to my needs, I only want a desktop shortcut to an 'internal' (same media) folder generated by BootSDI. Normally this would be pretty easy but in this case, the folder name and path changes each build and I can't find a variable that handles this. The solution should be self-contained in the same script (BootSDI).

@Galapo,

Is the above possible? If so, it should be optional in the interface as would only apply to certain situations.

#45 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:49 PM

@Galapo,

Is the above possible? If so, it should be optional in the interface as would only apply to certain situations.

Of course, and I'm on it.

I'm just testing a new version of BootSDI which will allow the placement of a desktop shortcut which will open the 'included' folder. Shoudn't be too long before it is uploaded.

Regards,
Galapo.

#46 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:52 PM

Of course, and I'm on it.

I'm just testing a new version of BootSDI which will allow the placement of a desktop shortcut which will open the 'included' folder. Shoudn't be too long before it is uploaded.

Regards,
Galapo.

:thumbsup:

#47 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:49 PM

New version 59 of BootSDI is available off the LiveXP server. You can optionally specify the creation of a desktop shortcut to the 'included' folder.

Regards,
Galapo.

#48 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:36 AM

New version 59 of BootSDI is available off the LiveXP server. You can optionally specify the creation of a desktop shortcut to the 'included' folder.

Regards,
Galapo.

Works beautifully! :thumbsup:

Just tested with a 1.7GB backup; x6, I386 folders and a bunch of driver packs. I used to have to put these on a separate DVD, this is truly 'All in One'!

Thank you Galapo :tabletalk:

p.s. Separate issue entirely but curious why it takes 2.5x longer to copy the same files in WB than with Windows Explorer :D - Can't WB use Explorer to copy the files?

#49 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

p.s. Separate issue entirely but curious why it takes 2.5x longer to copy the same files in WB than with Windows Explorer :thumbsup: - Can't WB use Explorer to copy the files?

Maybe because the script uses zcopy. Perhaps we could alter the include function to use robocopy or something? I wonder if Peter has an opinion on that?

Regards,
Galapo.

#50 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

I looked at your 'ExternalMediaShortcuts' but had some questions, it seems to be for external applications (PortableApps?) on a separate CD/DVD (user selects drive?). I couldn't really test because I kept getting this error, even with a complete nativeEx download, where is EMSManager.exe?

The exe is attached to the script and expanded into Temp.
I cannot see a reason for your error message.

Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users