Error Starting WinBuilder 074

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AtomicKitten

AtomicKitten

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

When I tried to start WinBuilder it gives me an error. It used to work before, I've created few VistaPE disc with it.
Screen Shot:

And this is the error from Windows Event Viewer

Faulting application winbuilder.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.3119, fault address 0x00012a7b.

I did a system restore from where I installed some apps, but nothing is fixed. I tried downloading a new one and extracting it to new folder as well.

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

Try to place WinBuilder.exe on a empty folder and start it from there.

I'm suspecting that one of the text files inside a script is not right and wb will crash when trying to display it.

Does wb crash when you double click on the exe to start or is it only when you try to open a script? :tabletalk:

Let's see if this can be solved! :thumbsup:

#3 AtomicKitten

AtomicKitten

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Did that, and it's still the same error. WB crashed when I tried to start the exe.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Did that, and it's still the same error. WB crashed when I tried to start the exe.

This does seem odd, you're sure there's nothing else in the base folder at the root of your system drive? Should look like this:
basedir.JPG

Try a fresh download of WinBuilder here. What OS version are you running? Any background programs that could interfere? Have you tried doing this in safe mode? (I'll walk you through if you need help) :thumbsup:

#5 AtomicKitten

AtomicKitten

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:31 PM

Yep I'm sure it looks like that, as I've made a few VistaPE from it, I know the hang of it a little bit, and now it suddenly not working. I'm using Win XP Pro SP2. Don't know any background apps that's blocking it or not. Windows says it's something to do with kernel32.dll

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

Yep I'm sure it looks like that, as I've made a few VistaPE from it, I know the hang of it a little bit, and now it suddenly not working. I'm using Win XP Pro SP2. Don't know any background apps that's blocking it or not. Windows says it's something to do with kernel32.dll

Please try to forget the history. Do what Amalux suggested two posts ago.
Start with a brand new installation and tell us the results.

Peter

#7 AtomicKitten

AtomicKitten

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:40 PM

I downloaded the base apps from the link above and put in new folder, and run it, still the same :thumbsup:

#8 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:10 PM

I downloaded the base apps from the link above and put in new folder, and run it, still the same :thumbsup:

Try this:

Download Pre-Setup Build and click on Save file.
minstup1save.JPG

Save it in your C: drives root (not in folder), same location as WINDOWS folder.
minstup2savein.JPG

Confirm it's in this location and double click the 7z file to Extractminstup5.JPG
minstup3extract.JPG

You should now have a new folder in this same directory, double click it
extracted.JPG

Inside this folder, double click on WinBuilder.exe
minstup4wbexe.JPG

Click on the Paths tab and choose your XPsp2 CD in the drive or the folder
you copied the contents to on your hard drive
minstup5pathsrc.JPG

Click on Play and wait for finish.
minstup6play.JPG

When build wraps up, it'll boot in a Qemu window very slowly! Just wait (3-5 minutes) for the desktop to show up to confirm it will boot for real when you burn your ISO later. When done checking, close this window (Red 'X'), you don't have to 'shut down' the virtual PC :tabletalk:

After closing this window, ImgBurn will prompt for a blank CD to burn your boot disk. If you don't want to burn it now just close ImgBurn and let WinBuilder wrap up. Go to your Log tab (takes a minute or two) and save your log!

Hope this helps and best of luck! :D

#9 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

This would make a good tutorial.. :thumbsup:

:tabletalk:

#10 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:37 PM

This would make a good tutorial.. :thumbsup:

:tabletalk:

Agreed for 101 % :D

Peter

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:25 AM

@AtomicKitten,

If the above 'tutorial' doesn't work, WinBuilder is not the issue and you have to look a bit deeper for the solution. In an earlier post there was an error report regarding 'EReadError in module...', this is an error you shouldn't get with a 'normal' XP installation; you can try re-installing/updating the DLL's, riched20.dll and riched32.dll but this is only a 'band-aid' fix. Also, starting the computer in 'safe mode' will help isolate the offending software; hit 'F8' key at startup for boot options.

My experience has been that these issues are caused by some type of corruption to the underlying OS. By corruption I mean anything that prevents the OS from operating in a normal manner; this could be a thousand different things, from installed programs or updates that don't behave properly to over zealous, anti-malware that 'mis-reads' WinBuilders activity as malicious. 'N-Lited' or lite XP installations; bad program uninstalls; deleted/damaged files or folders etc. Another way of saying this would be; if you were to install XP again fresh, this problem would 'go away'. If your hard drive was backed up with a good imaging program, like Acronis, Ghost, PowerQuest, etc. (DriveImage-XML is a free option) this would be easy to check as you could always restore back to where you are now if my hunch turned out to be incorrect or, after making a successful boot disk :thumbsup:

#12 AtomicKitten

AtomicKitten

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:08 PM

Think that's the only option left for me, fresh install. But why can't I use an "N-Lited" installation? Is there any files that WinBuilder needs? I can leave those in N-Lite then. Thanks for all the advises given on this topic :thumbsup:

#13 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Think that's the only option left for me, fresh install. But why can't I use an "N-Lited" installation? Is there any files that WinBuilder needs? I can leave those in N-Lite then. Thanks for all the advises given on this topic :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I like nLite and use it myself; the problem is when the wrong things are removed and you need them later :tabletalk:

Did you try downloading riched20/32, extracting them to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and registering them with regsvr32?

Start > Run

Type/enter following and hit OK:

regsvr32 riched20.dll

regsvr32 riched32.dll

#14 AtomicKitten

AtomicKitten

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

when using regsvr32 riched32.dll

Windows Error Msg: riched32.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

Windows Error Msg: riched32.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file cannot be registered

Do you have a standard XP source CD?
I am in doubt.

And what's the OS of your host.

Sorry that I do not search across all previous posts whether something would answer my question.
Two answered items here are aesier

Peter

#16 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:11 AM

Server 'hiccuped' in the middle of my last post (forgive me if this is a duplicate) - as I was saying... I think this is an nLite thing, some dependencies stripped out and not so easy to put back, unfortunately. You can try typing: sfc /scannow in Start > Run to do a system file check/replace but I suspect this won't work :thumbsup: Hopefully Peter or someone else here will know more to help you, good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users