▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Posted Image

What is the Beryl?

The mineral beryl is a beryllium aluminium cyclosilicate with the chemical formula Be3Al2(SiO3)6.

Posted Image
:thumbsup:

In Linux?

Beryl is an OpenGL accelerated desktop that seeks to provide a free, open source desktop experience to the community that reflects the wishes of the users. Above all else, the project seeks to listen to and respond to the requests of the user base.
Posted Image
Previously known as Compiz-Quinnstorm, Beryl is a fork of Compiz with additional features and plugins. One of the distinctive features of Beryl is to remove dependencies on Gnome. While many previous dependencies have been removed from Compiz, most of the GUI features still require it, thus making Beryl a better choice for KDE or alternative DE users. It not only functions as Compiz does with a Gnome Theme (Metacity) component, but also adds its own decorator (Emerald), and a KDE version (Aquamarine). Beryl also provides a copy method of compositing, which does not require any special environment or drivers, allowing it to function with older drivers without texture-from-pixmap support.
Beryl is a combined window manager and composite manager written in C using OpenGL to provide acceleration. It is designed to be highly flexible, extensible, and portable, all the while keeping in mind that the users know how they want their desktops to act better than we do. With Beryl the rather esoteric concept of the computer desktop is brought down to a more human level, allowing for a more native and intuitive understanding of your workspace.

Install Beryl On Kubuntu With Nvidia

Posted Image

:tabletalk:

Mikorist

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:50 PM

This project brings without doubt the BEST desktop experience I've ever saw.

My first experiments trying to get it running were a bit difficult because of the lack of graphical drivers but once I got it running (under ubuntu) it was simply amazing.

No Mac or Vista get near the visual enhancement as beryl provides.

Just wish it was also ported to Win32.. :thumbsup:

ZD7QraljRfM

#3 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

Install Beryl On Kubuntu With Nvidia:

Creating the script

Open a terminal. Execute:

kate ./beryl-install-script

Now, copy and paste the following script into the window:
#!/bin/bash

if [ `whoami` != "root" ]; then

echo "You must run this script as root.";

else

cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup.beryl-script

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup.beryl-script

echo "deb http://nvidia.limitless.lupine.me.uk/ubuntu edgy stable" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

wget http://nvidia.limitless.lupine.me.uk/ubuntu/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg -O- | apt-key add -

aptitude -y update && aptitude -y install linux-restricted-modules-$(uname -r) nvidia-glx

nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals

echo "deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/ edgy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

wget http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org/root@lupine.me.uk.gpg -O- | apt-key add -

aptitude -y update && aptitude -y dist-upgrade

aptitude -y install beryl emerald emerald-themes aquamarine

ln -s /usr/bin/beryl-manager ~/.kde/Autostart/beryl-manager

echo -e "\n\nBeryl is now installed; please reboot.\n\nBackups of /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/X11/xorg.conf were made:\n	/etc/apt/sources.list.backup.beryl-script\n	/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup"

fi;
Subsequently, save the file and close kate.

Running the script

Run the following commands:

sudo chmod +x ./beryl-install-script

sudo ./beryl-install-script

The script will then perform all the necessary functions to perform the installation of Beryl. Do not close the terminal while the script is running, or in any other way interrupt the script.

Postinstallation

In general, it is not a good idea to rerun the script after the initial execution. Thus, you should remove it:

rm ./beryl-install-script

Now, reboot. Beryl should begin running after you log in. An icon resembling a red gem will appear in the system tray; clicking on it is the recommended way to access needed programs and change settings.

Mikorist

#4 Mikorist

Mikorist

▂ ▃ █ ▅ ▆

• Advanced user
  • 771 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

Want something like the berryl on Win XP?

:tabletalk:

EKtxa5ilW2Q

The Toy`d Project

:thumbsup:

Mikroist

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

Looks very cool.

The last time I tried out Toy'ed I was a bit disappointed as it seemed they had just jumped out of alpha state and it was disappointing.

Judging from the clip, they seem to have walked a long way.

Will give it another try! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users