I went onto their site to try out the latest release and report back my experiences and this way help a bit any other member interested in trying out their work.
The starting point is the KDE-Windows Installer: http://download.cegi...ndows/installer
The KDEWIN Installer is aimed to be a installer tool to ease kde installation on windows.
See http://commit-digest...ues/2007-01-14/ for an article about the background of this installer.
The gui installer is able to download, install and update packages from different internet ftp
or http location with or without using a proxy. The command line installer is only minimal working.
- see doc/readme.txt for more informations about the idea and backgrounds of the installer
- sources are located on http://websvn.kde.or...ewin-installer/
- the released version is build using a static qt release with specific configure
parameters, see section "static compile hints" for more informations
- to be able to use the update-mime-database package with kde please add the installation path to the
enviromment variable KDEDIRS
- runtime dependencies should be separated from the build requirement. perl for example is a build requirement of kdebase.
- some msi files are started without displaying a gui like perl. This should be fixed
This tool will download, install and compile all the apps you download.
- First you will need to create an empty folder on your disk (I recommend something short like c:\kde)
- Download the latest installer --> http://download.cegi...-gui-latest.exe
- Start the installer, type the folder path previously created (for some buggy reason it would give an abnormal error if I try to create a folder or select an already existent folder)
- Select the first web server (global) and don't modify any of the selected packages
- The program will download and install.
Once it is completed you find the programs read to execute inside the BIN folder.
You can now repeat the same steps but select all the packages you want to try out next.
This is all very preliminar as you will quickly find because the file explorer (konqueror.exe / dolphin.exe) are still very buggy but at the least all included games are working great.
Good luck with your tests!