• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

Ok, I have used search BTW.

I can get winbuilder to make a 2GB Flash Drive bootable and it goes into VistaPE just fine, problem is, all my flash drives are 4GB, 16GB, and 32GB.

When I use winbuilder on those sizes, grub hasn't shown up, and it attempts to load VistaPE, but once the status bar fills up, it just sits there.

Any ideas on how I can fix this? Or am I stuck using 2GB drives?

#2 gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

OK Figured it out...

For those of you with the same issue, I went to www.pendrivelinux.com and downloaded the Packages for installing pendrivelinus 2008 to a flash drive.

Ran the makeboot.bat, used grubinst on my flash, then copied all of the files from my TARGET folder to flash drive.

Voila....

Now if I can figure out how to add floppy and iso images to the grubloader... :thumbsup:

#3 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:14 PM

Now if I can figure out how to add floppy and iso images to the grubloader... :thumbsup:

Simply browsing here:
http://www.boot-land...ub4dos-f66.html
should do.

Or you mean "original" GRUB as opposed to grub4dos?

jaclaz

#4 gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Thanks!!

I was browsing that, I am very new to winbuilder and extremely new to grub, so it might take a bit of work to get it going for me.

#5 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Thanks!!

I was browsing that, I am very new to winbuilder and extremely new to grub, so it might take a bit of work to get it going for me.

Found this link too: http://www.purviance...ashdrive_bl.htm

#6 gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

Is it possible to have more than one version of VistaPE on a flash drive? Maybe in a subfolder?

#7 MudCrab

MudCrab

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:05 AM

Found this link too: <link removed by Paul Purviance (MudCrab)>

Please use this link (as below) instead when referencing the VistaPE USB Flashdrive/USB Hard Drive Guide page on boot-land.net forums.

http://www.purviance...ashdrive_bl.htm

Thank you.

#8 MudCrab

MudCrab

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:40 AM

Is it possible to have more than one version of VistaPE on a flash drive? Maybe in a subfolder?

Yes, it is. I have three setup on mine, each with different versions and configurations of VistaPE. What I did was to build everything to Run from RAM and then just used a different "boot.wim" file for each one. This makes it very easy to update. Just a simple copy of the correct "boot.wim" file into the Sources folder on the flashdrive.

Once you have the first one setup and booting properly, you need to do the following:

Note: If not working from the booted VistaPE flashdrive, make sure to load the correct BCD store. For example: If you're in Windows and the flashdrive is F:, you'll need to use "F:\BOOT\BCD" for the store.

Note: These instructions are partly from memory. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything.

Open a Command Prompt (use Administrator Mode if running Vista).
Run the following command to copy the existing VistaPE entry (<ENTER> means to press the ENTER key):
bcdedit /store &#34;F&#58;\BOOT\BCD&#34; /copy {default} /d &#34;Description of New Entry&#34; <ENTER>
This will copy the default entry and create a new one with the description you entered.

Next, you'll need to edit two lines to change the boot.wim file reference to another name. For example: boot2.wim.
Run bcdedit to get the new entry's information:
bcdedit /store &#34;F&#58;\BOOT\BCD&#34; <ENTER>
Notice the ID (the "identifier" value) assigned to the new entry. For example:
Windows Boot Loader

-------------------

identifier			  {8419151d-d54a-11dc-9519-0019dbda2159}
This new identifier will be used in the commands below in the {NEW ID GOES HERE} section.

There are two entries with the boot.wim file reference. These are the device and osdevice entries. In this example I'm changing the boot.wim file to boot2.wim.
bcd /store &#34;F&#58;\BOOT\BCD&#34; /set {NEW ID GOES HERE} device ramdisk=&#91;boot&#93;\sources\boot2.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}<ENTER>

bcd /store &#34;F&#58;\BOOT\BCD&#34; /set {NEW ID GOES HERE} osdevice ramdisk=&#91;boot&#93;\sources\boot2.wim,{7619dcc8-fafe-11d9-b411-000476eba25f}<ENTER>
Now when you boot to the Grub4DOS menu and select VistaPE, you'll get the Vista boot manager's menu and you can select which VistaPE setup you want to boot.

#9 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

Yes, it is...

Hi MudCrab,

I missed this thread because I don't have USB-Booting BIOS. Will it work off a CD/DVD?

Also, BCDEdit will run on Vista/WinPE2, not XP. Is that right? So I need to run it from my pe2 to edit an offline BCD on XP HDD to go into the next build...?

Do you have this as a batch file or .vbs? Here is a .vbs method to get the GUID and apply it in a single running script. It comes from here:
http://technet.micro...e/cc194422.aspx

Set getGUID = WshShell.Exec&#40;&#34;bcdedit -create /d &#34;&#34;Windows PE&#34;&#34; /application OSLOADER&#34;&#41;

Do While getGUID.Status = 0

WScript.Sleep 100

Loop

&#39;Fun little set of code to grep out the GUID

strGUID = getGUID.StdOut.ReadAll

arr1GUID = Split&#40;strGUID, &#34;{&#34;&#41;

arr2GUID = Split&#40;&#34;{&#34;&arr1GUID&#40;1&#41;, &#34;}&#34;&#41;

strGUID = arr2GUID&#40;0&#41;&&#34;}&#34;

WSHShell.run &#34;bcdedit /set &#34;&strGUID&&#34; device ramdisk=&#91;c&#58;&#93;\boot\boot.wim,{ramdiskoptions}&#34;, 0, TRUE

etc ....

... just wondering.

#10 MudCrab

MudCrab

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

Will it work off a CD/DVD?

I have not tried this, but I would think that it would work. You'd just need to edit the BCD file used by the VistaPE build before you created the CD. Size could also be a problem on a CD if your boot.wim files are very large (if you can put it on a DVD it would get around this). I may test this later if I have time. One of my computers won't boot the current version of VistaPE from a CD so I mainly use my USB Flashdrives and USB hard drives (or internal drives).

Also, BCDEdit will run on Vista/WinPE2, not XP. Is that right? So I need to run it from my pe2 to edit an offline BCD on XP HDD to go into the next build...?

As far as I know, BCDEDIT will run just fine from XP. You just need to have access to the program and the BCD store. I've used BartPE many times when doing Vista BCD repairs. It's faster than booting to the Vista Command Prompt on Vista DVD or booting VistaPE.

Do you have this as a batch file or .vbs?

Not at the present time. I will probably create one. Even in doing this process the few times I have, it's miserable because of the IDs. Having a script or batch file to automate the process would make it much simpler.

#11 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

As far as I know, BCDEDIT will run just fine from XP...

Just had a look in VistaPE v.12 '00-postconfig.script' and:

Echo,&#34;Preparing boot directly from cd...&#34;

ShellExecute,Hide,#$q%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\bcdedit.exe#$q,&#34;/store #$q%TargetDir%\boot\bcd#$q /set {default} device boot&#34;,&#34;%WindowsDir%\system32&#34;

ShellExecute,Hide,#$q%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\bcdedit.exe#$q,&#34;/store #$q%TargetDir%\boot\bcd#$q /set {default} osdevice boot&#34;,&#34;%WindowsDir%\system32&#34;

... looks promising. But, I suddenly become dyslexic looking at that BCDEdit stuff...

#12 gmgfarrand

gmgfarrand

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:44 PM

Ok, I am losing my mind....
I did this before and it worked, I followed Mudcrab's instructions and it worked.

I am now trying it on a different flash drive and keep getting "the boot configuration data store could not be opened. Access is denied"
I am running as Admin BTW.

Any Ideas?

**Nevermind.... damn BCD file was set as read only!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users