18 replies to this topic

#1 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

Can someone begin to explain why the default WinPE drivers are not an option to add to the VistaPE build? It would seem 9 out of 10 times this would resolve everyones driver problems. It detects every type of NIC I have tried on it and most usb devices I have plugged in. For instance, I can plug a flash drive in anytime with the WinPE image and read the files...VistaPE, I better boot the machine with the flash drive plugged in or I have to manually mount it after running HWPnP, reloading the VistaPE setting, and then using devman.

I tried coping over the missing file from the WAIK wim file, but apparenetly something in the VistaPE build changes the way hardware is detected. Why can't the vpeldr detect additional custom drivers only for the people who need them, but have the system try to load the default WinPE drivers by default???

Answers people...surely I am not the only one wondering....So many people post with driver problems that this would solve.

And can someone elaborate on how the drivers are detected different in V.12 instead of V.11?

#2 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

Interesting question, welcome to boot-land! :)

Don't know the answer you need but I'm also interested to also know more about this matter.

:(

#3 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:04 AM

Interesting question, welcome to boot-land! :)

Don't know the answer you need but I'm also interested to also know more about this matter.

:(

I tried V.12 today and it was really good at detecting drivers...but very slow...why does it take so long?

#4 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:31 AM

I tried V.12 today and it was really good at detecting drivers...but very slow...why does it take so long?

Good question! Hopefully NightMan will provide an answer, and a solution in the final release.

#5 Arvy

Arvy

Frequent Member

• Developer
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:IT, Outdoors, Horses
  •  
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

Can someone begin to explain why the default WinPE drivers are not an option to add to the VistaPE build?

A very good question indeed. I asked the same thing some time ago about making use of the tremendously versatile driverstore files repository that is contained within the Vista install.wim itself. I also hope that an answer may be forthcoming in the not too distant future.

#6 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

I think I have a solution for this.. I have also been wondering the very same thing from the start. Check my last reply from VistaPE v12 thread.

Basically what I did was following:

I added a basic dircopy command that copies "%bootSRC%\windows" to "%targetdir%" before copying other files. Then I removed VPELDR from boot (this contains the slow driver detection routine) and replaced it with just explorer.exe. Of course other action was also required because VPELDR copies shortcuts and configures the desktop etc. But in short this way I managed to make a version that has WinPE 2.0 basic driver functionality but still has the GUI and can load programs.

I hope you can iron the rest out because I have a lot of work and can't figure the rest out myself ATM.. but it is possible, I take the longer loading time of a few ten MB of data any day opposed to even longer taking driver loading routine.

#7 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:04 AM

I added the following in "Base Files" script:

Make this first line under [Files] paragraph, this way you don't write over any VistaPE configured files..

[Files]
DirCopy,"%BootSRC%\Windows","%TargetDir%"

here's my winpeshl.ini

wpeinit.exe
autorun.cmd
explorer.exe
PEShell.exe

Of course fair bit more has to be done if you don't use VPELDR to get app shortcuts etc. but you can test it and I assure you, USB will work after this. Still this is in no way a complete guide, just a hint how to get full set of original vista setup files into the build without overwriting additional script changes.

Not even sure if VPELDR has anything to do with this, just removed it because I really don't need it ATM and I have my own simple "settings script" which works ok for me.

#8 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Make this first line under [Files] paragraph, this way you don't write over any VistaPE configured files..

[Files]

here's my winpeshl.ini

wpeinit.exe
autorun.cmd
explorer.exe
PEShell.exe

Of course fair bit more has to be done if you don't use VPELDR to get app shortcuts etc. but you can test it and I assure you, USB will work after this. Still this is in no way a complete guide, just a hint how to get full set of original vista setup files into the build without overwriting additional script changes.

Not even sure if VPELDR has anything to do with this, just removed it because I really don't need it ATM and I have my own simple "settings script" which works ok for me.

Interesting...I am going to try this on Monday...I don't have time today or this weekend. I don't mind a few extra MB...like you said, it still loads faster this way (if it works of course). As for the shortcuts problems, well I stopped depending on the VPELDR anyways. I have a batch file listed as the first item in the winpeshl.ini that updates the registry and adds all my shortcuts, folders and files upon boot.

#9 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

[Files]

here's my winpeshl.ini

wpeinit.exe
autorun.cmd
explorer.exe
PEShell.exe

Hi, rethorix,
I tested your suggestion, and it works good.
But you have to remove vprldr!
As you say basic thing then is adding shortcuts and so on.
I wrote a VB-Script that is called by autorun.cmd that adds shortcuts, sets screen resolution, and starts network support etc.
Maybe someone (I) could write a parser for vistape.cfg that does the things.
Seiba

#10 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:30 AM

Hi, rethorix,
I tested your suggestion, and it works good.
But you have to remove vprldr!
As you say basic thing then is adding shortcuts and so on.
I wrote a VB-Script that is called by autorun.cmd that adds shortcuts, sets screen resolution, and starts network support etc.
Maybe someone (I) could write a parser for vistape.cfg that does the things.
Seiba

I have been so busy I have not had a chance to try the suggestion. Thanks for letting us know it works. Would you mind posting your vbscript so I can use it for reference. Thx.

#11 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

I have been so busy I have not had a chance to try the suggestion. Thanks for letting us know it works. Would you mind posting your vbscript so I can use it for reference. Thx.

Adding the files and taking out the vpeldr did not work at all. Still a work in progress then.

#12 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hmm, I've tested it successfully @ work with various laptop & desktop computers now, even with new iMac's and MacBooks with intel hardware. USB drives work, no matter if connected during boot time or not.

I'm using v.12 with SP1 DVD as building source. Haven't tested DVD without SP1, if I remember correctly the filecopy sections for drivers etc. are a bit different in the scripts depending on your build source, so maybe this might be one possible reason? I'm just guessing though, as it's difficult to know what components you have downloaded in winbuilder etc. But I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work if you downloaded the required scripts from winbuilder and put the dircopy command in the place I told.

I'm afraid I can't be of any more help without more information, though..

#13 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

Hmm, I've tested it successfully @ work with various laptop & desktop computers now, even with new iMac's and MacBooks with intel hardware. USB drives work, no matter if connected during boot time or not.

I'm using v.12 with SP1 DVD as building source. Haven't tested DVD without SP1, if I remember correctly the filecopy sections for drivers etc. are a bit different in the scripts depending on your build source, so maybe this might be one possible reason? I'm just guessing though, as it's difficult to know what components you have downloaded in winbuilder etc. But I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work if you downloaded the required scripts from winbuilder and put the dircopy command in the place I told.

I'm afraid I can't be of any more help without more information, though..

Well, that may be it, I don't have an SP1 DVD. But I would not think that would matter much. I added the line in the script where you said, modified my winshpel.ini and removed the vpeldr. The build was several megs larger, but it did not detect the majority of the drivers.

My winbuilder configuration is very simple. It is only an OS for using RDP.

I have the following items checked:

Main Confiutration
Base
-PreConfig
-Clear Target Folder
-Base Files
-Aditional Fonts
-Basic configuration and tools
-Locale Setting
-Explorer Vista
Addons
-Remote Desktop Connection
Finalize
-PostConfig

Do you see anything that looks wrong?

I take the wim file and PXE boot it over the network.

#14 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Ok, I'll try to take a look at monday, my winbuilder & script files are at my work computer ATM. :thumbsup:

#15 Seiba

Seiba

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi Metratron,
Here is the vbscript that parses a part of vistape.cfg.
But parsing registry entries is not available.
"Parse-Vistape-Cfg.vbs":

Const ForReading = 1

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set wshFileSystem = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

' Start VMWare Tools
iReturn = wshShell.Run("""X:\Program Files\VMWare\Start-VMTools.vbs""", 1, False)
' Start Network
iReturn = wshShell.Run("""X:\Program Files\PENetCfg\PENetCfg"" /useprofile", 1, False)

' Read Vistape.cfg and handle [main] and [shortcut]
sCfg = ScriptFolder & "\Vistape.cfg"

Set oTextFile = wshFileSystem.OpenTextFile(sCfg, ForReading)
Do While Not oTextFile.AtEndOfStream
sText = oTextFile.ReadLine
If sText = "" Then
If oTextFile.AtEndOfStream Then
WScript.Quit
Else
End If
End If
Select Case LCase(sText)
Case "[main]"
bMain = True
Case "[shortcut]"
bShortcut = True
End Select
If bMain Then
If bBracket(sText) Then bMain = False
End If
If bShortcut Then
If bBracket(sText) Then bShortcut = False
End If
If bMain Then
If InStr(sText, "screen") > 0 Then
aText = Split(Trim(sText), "=")
sResolution = aText(1)
aResolution = Split(sResolution, "x")
iReturn = wshShell.Run("setres.exe h" & aResolution(0) & " v" & aResolution(1) & " b32", 1, False)
End If
End If
If bShortcut Then
aShortcut = Split(sText, "|")
If aShortcut(0) = "" Then
sTemp = aShortCut(0)
Else
sTemp = LCase(aShortcut(0))
End If
Select Case sTemp
Case ""
sPath = wshShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
Case "desktop"
sPath = wshShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")
Case "quicklaunch"
sPath = "X:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"
Case Else
sPath = wshShell.SpecialFolders("Programs") & "\" & sTemp
End Select
sTitle = aShortCut(1) & ".lnk"
sTargetPath = aShortCut(2)
If Not aShortcut(4) = "" Then
sArgument = aShortCut(4)
End If
Call CreateShortCut(sPath, sTitle, sTargetPath, sArgument)
End If
Loop
Set oTextFile = Nothing

Sub CreateShortcut(Path, Title, TargetPath, Argument)
If Not wshFileSystem.FolderExists(Path) Then wshFileSystem.CreateFolder(Path)
Set ShortCut = wshShell.CreateShortcut(Path & "\" & Title)
ShortCut.TargetPath = TargetPath
If Not Argument = "" Then ShortCut.Arguments = Argument
'ShortCut.WindowStyle = 1
'ShortCut.IconLocation = "c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll, 78"
ShortCut.Save
End Sub

Function bBracket(Text)
b = False
If Left(LTrim(Text), 1) = "[" Then b = True
bBracket = b
End Function

Function ScriptFolder()
' ********* Ermittlung des Verzeichnisses des aktuellen Skripts mit vollständigem Pfad ********************************************
iPosition = InStrRev(WScript.ScriptFullName, "\")
ScriptFolder = Left(WScript.ScriptFullName, iPosition)
End Function

"Parse-Vistape-Cfg.script":

[Main]
Title=4 - Parse-Vistape-Cfg
Author=Me
Level=1
Version=1
Description=Liest Vistape.cfg und erstellt Shortcuts usw.
Locked=false
Date=18.03.2008
Selected=True
Credits=

[Variables]
%ProgramTitle%=Parse-Vistape-Cfg
%ProgramEXE%=Parse-Vistape-Cfg.vbs
%ProgramFolder%=

[Process]
Echo,"Processing %ProgramTitle% ..."
RunFromRam,True
ReadENV
Unpack,System,,True,"%TargetDir%\Windows","System32"
TXTAddLine,"%TargetDir%\Windows\System32\Autorun.cmd","X:\Windows\System32\WScript.exe X:\Windows\System32\Parse-Vistape-Cfg.vbs","Append"

[EncodedFolders]
System

[System]
Parse-Vistape-Cfg.vbs=1Kb,1Kb

[EncodedFile-System-Parse-Vistape-Cfg.vbs]
lines=0
0=eJylVs1u4zYQPtuA34HgoZELV42TBVoskAKpYwMGnMRrGUmBVQ+UTNusJVElKcdb9HH7IB3+SKK8ye
4W9SGhODPf/M9wwgup0IyLFSUbVuzQDRoP+oN+RBV6kftoT7MM7iaCEkUfkz9oqgL8HKWClSo0VDxsuGcso9EnqWj+m
YiVAAVhy2RpWn7QZyuqKlGAXK01XFVFgDH+7X28FHwnSI60qIyf7p+JoHGkiFA/PN2vOc9keEwk8I7QeIRmJJN0+J8gl9MHqibbXXPAGP1YSVoKvgWGLu6gL4EDYK1PM55tqEDfIRw/MalIScMUAOog8jU9Ka3F2tF6Hz6WtKiJgYYceXkAPXccPe+14AP3YMJbNS02j9tIQXzzQb8nNQXAWw4N
sWAFBeJ8i2o6uLTe0wIu9e0beA1Lr87xh4opfTEF5w3hi/p6gIXmWzg1h4hmkGU0IZKihf4bGARwsGfu8MecsOJ3jLR4cg9nAF+LysB9UZkTl3suVFqpGiJy398Koy
21RtqAWRu8WCW/CpIeqHKGGxKqLTVV4furBRoTvoriGfsq0rkt8wISZSFGCMtUUFrgIfoFXbapI87bqMyYCtaC5U4nSNzo
dtNZXFHJs0oxrp0wEsHYkkiHZEE8dgA5OZC3OkxSKCYZ0hNFewyd4SEGl0PdKuh4fj+298n1ld9t6PWa
e
jXGxIuls9qF6W9rL0g1PNqOTk/oGslLHQvDMjEs54VvGGwR+0jDjpWdijdCRtxWKzbnnlwStffjFpU0ZSSzw0QG+I7Kg+KlC7SV3bi7/wHxZ8XSQ0aqIt2fweih+MyKDX+RsR1Q11dxyost28XSfLthGN+W5R1RJF5xksOkiu9ZKrjkWxXPC0VFA
UNveiozLqiIP2h9aOEpNHY0Mf26F25QS2zqI9Zl08S007mQH6bMmG0zaIsqzIoDthxE7KhyKlu2q7o89
K
RtE/vOKxFkS+BW7KqcFqoj/u4s/xMCO9Ouv4bH+DlC1kb9v7EEPmrUoVfjC87LzzcIGLiHmJvlUiW+Em2whXMqfA2+AudmdxfZcE9PsMCkg
XHzqctl1Vley2Xmu0K1m34iX7GtyaAx0Qg7wbCTmfajtdeLfJ2SRrimSSDWZ5C8gM8Ax/EGvBIsuRzHukpf9OPB1nJCqty0x0UDZVsgUp9MuMcd2hzaYcFT4iYjTt/HL65jZN0xUvt+fRVusmyEfvoZ+z5G5AhVb4q2SnQKZ9AWBqzZDfVmTLx9AAFY0K0KFmaSu0E+NrX5ESO
3R9plV2PBTWK11Wo6Kv3HSwAqL9D39Q9NRc6Uyip4DsLMQU9U/EVZui+YlPCpr8hBVeCoTsJB40gEEujIs0yqf4oN28ETcLklmxb0G35gPFtyyVx8zapb0WPQPDetyVWWP
ZAcKhxqydSQ/wy7sbF6S6TBH3ZD8y9Bc2jZeJwTDUgsKk7VDcssLkksSNV1TkvXK0sqZhgFIwSwc0NoIxbs8oYBzmcYm
ACEPgmqUjShOAEAAAACAAAAMAAAADIEAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

#16 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

Well, that may be it, I don't have an SP1 DVD. But I would not think that would matter much. I added the line in the script where you said, modified my winshpel.ini and removed the vpeldr. The build was several megs larger, but it did not detect the majority of the drivers.

My winbuilder configuration is very simple. It is only an OS for using RDP.

I have the following items checked:

Main Confiutration
Base
-PreConfig
-Clear Target Folder
-Base Files
-Aditional Fonts
-Basic configuration and tools
-Locale Setting
-Explorer Vista
Addons
-Remote Desktop Connection
Finalize
-PostConfig

Do you see anything that looks wrong?

I take the wim file and PXE boot it over the network.

Sorry, but no clue, might be some small thing.. Can't think of any logical explanation. For Seiba the trick seemed to work fine though.

But, you are right there is no logical explanation regarding need of SP1, still haven't tried previous version install DVD myself though - most likely will not have time for that..

So you didn't find any improvement? Even in USB detection?

What drivers are you having problems with? Do they work if you run standard Vista Install DVD and WinRE? After all it _should_ contain the same set of files.. :thumbsup:

#17 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Sorry, but no clue, might be some small thing.. Can't think of any logical explanation. For Seiba the trick seemed to work fine though.

But, you are right there is no logical explanation regarding need of SP1, still haven't tried previous version install DVD myself though - most likely will not have time for that..

What drivers are you having problems with? Do they work if you run standard Vista Install DVD and WinRE? After all it _should_ contain the same set of files.. :thumbsup:

Well, specifically, the network card. I did not check the others. I will play with it a few more times and see what I come up with. I really like were this could go.

#18 metatron

metatron

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:30 PM

Here is the list after running Unknown Devices. It does not seem to detect anything. Is there something that I should be running at startup that will process the drivers since vpeldr is not gone?

________________________________________________________________________________
_____
Computer Info
Chipset: Intel i915PM/G
Computer Name: MININT-U96Q2N4
OS: Windows ™ Code Name "Longhorn" Preinstallation Environment (Full or Upgrade Retail)
Product Key...
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (Moderator edit: Don't post windows serial numbers! )
Device Tree
Other devices
Ethernet Controller
Broadcom Corp BCM5750A1M NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
Hewlett-Packard Company
Mass Storage Controller
Hewlett-Packard Company
Texas Instruments (TI) PCIxx11/21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
Multimedia Audio Controller
*** Note: AC'97 Detection is unreliable
Hewlett-Packard Company
Intel Corporation 82801FB (ICH6) AC'97 Audio Controller
Network Controller
Hewlett-Packard Company
Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2915ABG MiniPCI Adapter
PCI HOST Bridge
Hewlett-Packard Company
Intel Corporation 82915PM/GM/GMS, 82910GML Host Bridge
PCI Modem
*** Note: AC'97 Detection is unreliable
Hewlett-Packard Company
Intel Corporation 82801FB (ICH6) AC'97 Modem Controller
PCI Simple Communications Controller
Hewlett-Packard Company
Texas Instruments (TI) PCI GemCore based SmartCard Controller
RamDisk
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: RamVolume
SD Host Controller
Hewlett-Packard Company
Texas Instruments (TI) SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: ACPI0003
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: FixedButton
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0000
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0100
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0200
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0800
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0A06
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0B00
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0C01
Unknown device
Unable to Detect, Hardware ID: PNP0C02
Unknown device
Unknown device
Unknown device
________________________________________________________________________________
_____

Edited by Ove, 24 July 2009 - 07:42 AM.
Removed Windows serial number

#19 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:39 AM

Well basically with PE standard set of drivers you mostly get basic functionality of network, USB and most common RAID drivers (intel chipset for example). AFAIK you don't get _every_ driver full Vista install has built in, only the ones stored under WinRE/WinPE image.

USB should work without any addition. For network you need to run WPEINIT from commandprompt or place it under separate batch like AUTORUN.CMD or straight to WPESHL.INI before EXPLORER.EXE or CMD.EXE (whatever you prefer as main shell). All this of course, if you have a network card that is supported by the standard set of drivers.

Most computers I have tried so far have worked regarding USB & network under PE. I work with various different models every day so I'd say I have a fair base to compare.

If your network card still doesn't work you could always do a quick test and download the driver for the card and try to load it with DRVLOAD command under commandprompt (.INF needed). This could maybe be injected later to PE image, first mounting it with ImageX & injecting the driver with PKGMGR for example..

AFAIK PE doesn't detect WLAN, sound card etc. (sound support is disabled anyway). That may be in the future with separate detection routines and driver archives. I believe this is where Nightman is aiming at with VPELDR etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users